An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do you smoke?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Coolkidhere, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I asked my husband this question and his answer is to relieve stress. Honestly, I do not know how smoking can relieve stress for me, just the smell of it makes my head ache!

I know some of my colleagues smoke just to be 'in'. Especially the women, where I see them smoking only when they are with a bunch of people.

Why do you smoke?
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When I used to smoke I did it just because it was an addiction. I started smoking just because of my friends and it took me a while to get rid of this bad habit. I admit, it helped relieve stress but it wasn't worth the trade-off.
  3. Coolkidhere

My husband too started smoking when his friends urged him to. Now he is quite addicted to it and when he wakes up he starts his day with a cigarette. He just cannot seem to get rid of the addiction. Good thing you got rid of it!
  4. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

For me, it's habit and routine. I started smoking to look "tougher" or "more cool" and fit in with the crowd I was hanging out with back in middle school/junior high. Aside from a few months during my pregnancy and during a health problem, I've smoked since and I am thirty one. It does relax me even though it raises blood pressure and heart rate. I think it's the inhale and exhale, or just a comfort thing maybe. I have a hard time putting it down simply because I'm used to it. It's been two decades since I started!
  5. Coolkidhere

Same as my husband! Though he said that smoking relaxes the arteries because of the nicotine or something to that sense. So if that is true, then that is why smoking can relax people!

Good thing you stopped smoking during your pregnancy! It is quite scary to have a health problem and smoke. My hubby has coughing problems especially when it is cold.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I should ask mine too a second time, the first time I asked he said he did it out of boredom. I guess that translates to relieve stress or anxiety, similar to what I do when I eat to relieve stress or anxiety. I guess I should exercise instead.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  7. SarahWorksAtHome

Oh, I keep a smoker's cough year round. Every morning I wake up and have to cough up a little phlegm and it's gross. You'd think that would be enough to get me to quit, that and when I get bronchitis but, nope.
  8. Anahap

Anahap Member

I think I smoke because I got used to it. I hate the smell, I hate that I waste money and I hate that they make me sick, but somehow I associate smoking with playing video games, walking on the street or watching a movie. I tried to quit 4 times, I managed to stay clean 4 months each time. But then I started again, and I don't even know why. That's the sad part.
  9. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

I don't smoke, but I could look at it from someone who does. They start because of peer pressure, and escalate into a habit and then spiral into an addiction, which is exactly what @Anahap described. Most smokers don't notice the subtle changes in their amount until quite a while after they've become addicted.
    Untrue friends are the number-one cause of smoking. Peer pressure also urges people to smoke because it's "cool" and "sexy" among some communities.
  10. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I should admit that I firstly have done that for attention then with no time I got addicted,
    now I only ask my older friends to buy me a pack of cigarettes every day.
    I have ruined my health, so much and I feel pity for starting it, but quiting is just too hard.
    Right now I smoke because I can let go of stress easily, whenever I'm angry I always
    take a cigarette out and lit it, it's always better than cutting, that's what I did a time ago
    to let go of my bad emotions because crying wasn't just enough./
  11. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I'm in the sam boat as your husband. Smoking definitely relieves me of a lot of stress. I don't smoke as much anymore but whenever I feel backed into a corner, I buy a stick and smoke. Luckily, buying a stick at a time is available. Otherwise, I'd be buying a pack and would be pack to smoking a pack and a half a day.
  12. SarahWorksAtHome

Does anyone else also smoke out of boredom?
    I have two bad habits when I am bored or sitting idle and that's eating or smoking.
    I suppose I feel like I should be doing something and if there isn't really anything to do or I don't feel like doing anything productive, especially when my insomnia has kicked in at night time, I end up snacking on unhealthy foods or chain smoking just because it's something to do.
    I have smoked an entire pack of cigarettes before in one night (about 8 hours) just because I couldn't sleep and I was bored.
  13. Coolkidhere

You really have the same health problem as my hubby. He also has phlegm when he coughs! Have you tried those patches that make you stop smoking? Or even the ecigarette?
  14. SarahWorksAtHome

I've tried the nicotine patch and the chewing gums (those didn't work because I needed the actual act of smoking, the puffing, inhaling, exhaling). I am currently venturing into trying the small vapor cigarette device I have.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I started smoking when I was around fifteen or sixteen, mainly because everybody else I knew did and I didn't want to be the one that stood out.

Why I smoke now is also easy to answer, it's because I'm addicted. I've tried to quit many times in the past but haven't been able to, but what I have done is cut right down.
  16. Coolkidhere

Keep me updated if it works for you maybe it will work for my husband too! In the meantime, I would have to buy those patches who knows maybe it will work for him. I will probably stick that to him without his approval as he did not want to buy it when we saw it last time lol.
  17. Coolkidhere

Have you tried slowly eliminating it? Some says that when you quit immediately, you just crave it more. But when you gradually lessen your sticks a day, you will be able to quit it entirely.
  18. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Smoking can relieve stress in my opinion, however once you're in the mind set of knowing that you want to quit, carrying on smoking can only increase the amount of stress that you're under, because you're addicted to it. A lot of people smoke due to peer pressure and then end up getting hooked on it, which is a shame. But there are lots of reasons, and it is a very common habit, so obviously there is something that people get out of it!
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  19. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Since I was young I considered smoking a badass thing to do, but I didn't imagine myself smoking. People who smoked also told me it relieves stress, so I tried it, as I was having huge problems in my family. At first I didn't like it and it almost made me vomit. This didn't make me surrender though. I became addicted to it and quitting was hard.

Yes, I did smoke to relieve stress, and because I liked it.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  20. Coolkidhere

It is quite interesting to see that most people here started smoking because of peer pressure or conformity. It is really society that mostly influences our actions. Maybe choosing the right kind of people to hang out with can help in this issue!