An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why Do You Think Addictions Get Worse After a Relapse

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Dec 1, 2015.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Babs1349... I think the general consensus these days is that both the alcoholism and depression have to be treated simultaneously. Co-occurring disorders--an addiction and a mental health issue--are very common, and they tend to exacerbate each other. This makes it difficult to distinguish which symptoms are being caused by which disorder. Treating one disorder and not the other can cause problems for the patient.
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  2. Babs1349

Babs1349 Member

Bipolar? Depression? ADD (definitely). So important to get it right since the medications are so different. After second try in rehab for alcoholism, I feel my son has given up on that route. He has added cocaine to the mix now. He has a doctors appointment for a phycological evaluation, but I have little hope he will find the help he needs. Mental health support is so poor in this country, especially when you have Medicaid. He is an adult.
    True concern likes this.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Babs1349 hi there! good question! i'm under the belief that you treat the alcoholism first... it's challenging to overcome depression when one is addicted to alcohol. but a therapist would/could treat both at the same time...

hope this helps!
  4. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

i'm so sorry he's struggling. i know this is challenging for you as a parent....

i hope he can get the treatment he needs, and starts to get his life back soon....

feel free to post anytime, we are here for you.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. True concern

True concern Moderator

I have A.D.H.D. and after 20years of drug use this knowledge would have helped me so here goes....... add meds are exactly the same thing as Cocaine or meth minus the stuff they use to cut the drugs so the cocaine IS treating the add for your son.i guarantee it.So maybe convince him some how to see a dr and go on Ritalin or Adderall as at least it can be monitored in dose.I assure you they are the same.It took sooo many year's for me to recognise the similarities because i was to damn high or drunk all the time.Atleast talk to a Dr about it this may indeed help eliminate many wasted year's and potentially a destroyed life.Stay Strong and God Bless
    deanokat likes this.
  6. True concern

True concern Moderator

Oh let me Add this my Dr said i was Bipolar...she was wrong also said i was depressed...she was right.I had mood swings from being high and drunk NOT bi-polar also i was depressed because i was losing myself because the A.D.H.D. had taken me hostage.I no longer drink or do drug's and to deal with my A.D.H.D. I run...alot around 4 miles a day when my legs are good,im waiting on kbee surgery so lately this damn A.D.H.D. taunts me and i rarely sleep which i really mis sleep but 2 hour's of sleep and that wonderful A.D.H.D. says "well since you have to get up to go to the rest room you might as well go for a run....then i realise sh×t im running at 2 a.m. but I'm sober and no more mood swings or depression so i just keep running
    deanokat likes this.