An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do you think e-cigs are banned in some places?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by tckc, May 19, 2015.

1. tckc

tckc Member

I was taking a train the other day and noticed a sign that banned smoking regular cigarettes AND e-cigs.

What is the harm in smoking an e-cig on public transit? I don't understand why its not allowed. It is just water vapor, right? Do they have a really strong smell? What would make people complain about them enough to require a sign?

Does anybody have any ideas?
  2. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

I have never heard of this before but never thought of the possibility of smoking an e-cig on public transit. Some e-cigs have a strong smell which I believe will be a problem for people with various sensitivities. I would guess it's the same reason why people are discouraged from wearing strong perfumes, etc in closed public spaces. Just a guess.
  3. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I've heard several theories. One is that e-cigs are so convenient and much less harmful, which may lead to younger people who wouldn't have otherwise smoked to start using them; making them less convenient is supposed to solve that problem. Another theory is that people kick up such a stink about it (calling flight attendants on airplanes because someone is "smoking" etc.) that it's just not worth the hassle of letting people smoke them wherever.
    tckc likes this.
  4. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Well, where I live they aren't currently prohibited but there are rumors of it being discussed just now. There is actually less known about what e-cigs do to your health than normal cigarettes, and we can't know for sure if there are the same health problems. I guess this would be it, but don't take my word for it: I'm just assuming. ;)
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I always thought that, as @bsthebenster says, it was to prevent people mistakenly reporting others for smoking cigarettes. It seems as though many people are unable to tell the difference, particularly from a distance. I expect they just want to err on the side of caution.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I had to look it up and find a picture. I didn't know this was going on. I don't think there is any health risk with vapor, so this might just be a business owners decision and not a city wide rule.
    [​IMG]
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think it's because there have been cases where e-cigarettes exploded in people's faces. I read about one case in the UK and another in the USA. Those two incidences were enough to create new laws about prohibiting e-cigarettes in public places. When I think about it, I really prefer public places to be free of any kind of disruptive behavior, and that includes vapor cigarettes. The world is a big place. If you need to smoke or "vape" why not go to some area where it doesn't bother anyone?
  8. tckc

tckc Member

These are all great ideas. Thanks for helping me figure this out. My guess is that preventing a public disturbance is the most likely reason. Maybe it is hard for people who have never smoked to tell the difference between the two?

I've never heard of an e-cig blowing up in someone's face. That is going to freak me out from now on.
  9. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

I have noticed that e-cigs and they even call it vaping. We had an overnight camping in a resort last weekend for the birthday celebration of my niece. The guests were her class mates, all college students. Two of the guys were vaping although I appreciate that they move away from people when doing that.
  10. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

E cigs are not all that you think they are. The nicotine inside the cartridges is addictive. No one knows about the long term harms of E cigs. Various studies are still going on.
    Better to be safe than sorry.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Yes, the liquid of those e-cigs has a lot chemicals, not as many as an averagecig, but still, it has chemicals as dangerous as Formaldehyde... which is known to cause cancer. Plus other chemicals so that ''vapor'' isn't as harmless, plus so0me of us don't like to smell that kind of stuff... specially us non smokers.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think the vapor is still disturbing coming from those e-0cigarettes. That could be one reason why it is banned in public on some places. So that it will not affect others who might be sensitive or allergic on such vapor.