An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do you think Marijuana is better than Alcohol?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Nick Anthony, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

Just like the title asks. Why do you guys think Marijuana is better than Alcohol? I'm just curious, because I've tried both and although I don't try either of them Marijuana was always better to me than alcohol.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I don't think there's any point in comparing the two and say that one is better than the other because for me, if a drug is abused, then that's that. It becomes a tool for destruction. As long as you know how to hold your alcohol and if you limit your marijuana intake, then I think both substances will do you no harm. They're both beneficial for recreational purposes.
  3. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Alcohol makes people act out of character, destroys the liver and kidneys, can lead to death and causes thousands of fatal accidents a year. It's highly addicting, tears families apart and causes premature aging. I think alcohol is the worst drug in the country because it is so widely accepted by society.
  4. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

Well said!!! And for theses reasons I think marijuana is better than alcohol. Also marijuana offers some medical benefits to an individuals. I have never heard of a stoned driver killing anyone and it is an easier addiction to give up and recover from.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

If we are going to compare the two, which I dont like doing by the way, then I'd have to say that alcohol is a more dangerous drug than marijuana. The old argument is that you dont see many pot heads going out and starting fights and throwing up on street corners. Marijuana affects people more or less the same way and works more of a relaxant. where with alcohol it very much depends on the individual and how much they have consumed as to what affect its going to have.

When it comes down to being addicted, I know a lot of people that cant get through the day or the week without having a drink but with marijuana i dont thnk people feel that they NEED to have a smoke just to get by, they'll have a smoke because they want to and because they like it, not because they feel like that they cant cope without it.

Like I said though, comparing the two is like picking the worse of two evils and I think both probably have disadvantages.
  6. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

Even though I do not smoke anymore, I would have to say that marijuana is better than alcohol. I love to drink, but it can make you act out of character at times. When I was high off of marijuana, I never really acted out of character because I was always calm and wanted to eat. I would just want to chill out and forget about my crazy thoughts. Now alcohol on the other hand, has made me act out on my crazy thoughts because it conflicts with my emotions. I have learned to get my emotions under control when drinking now. The only reason I stopped smoking is because I had a bad experience with marijuana because I think it was a bad batch. If that had not have happened, I would probably still be smoking. I miss that feeling instead of being only drunk all of the time. I like the feeling of being drunk and high together.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  7. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It's about the health benefits marijuana lays to the table, compared to alcohol which, although has its health benefits,, too - if taken moderately -, can destroy your body, your mind, and your family ambiance to the same extent.
    Marijuana hasn't registered a single record of negative aspects that alcohol did.
    Of course, marijuana can give addiction, partly destroy your brain cells, but overall it's better if taken as medicine.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

This is true. I've never heard of a person being killed or getting killed by a person on Marijuana. Alcohol is a dangerous substance that builds up rage in a person. Marijuana mellows you out.
  9. mrskim87

mrskim87 Member

Well, I would say that marijuana is better than alcohol for a few reasons. For one, alcohol holds no healing properties, it is the cause of many deaths each year, and no one seems to be able to control their actions properly when intoxicated. Marijuana, on the other hand, though it may give you a high feeling it does have benefits to your health. It helps with insomnia, loss of appetite, etc.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  10. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

You can't overdose on marijuana unless at nearly impossible amounts. Alcohol regularly contributes to deaths. Marijuana doesn't cause a black out. You don't necessarily lose control of yourself under that influence. Alcohol, on the other hand, often leads to destructive behavior that cannot be remembered. I am not a proponent of either, however, I think marijuana is the lesser of the two evils.
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I think it is because it is starting to become legalized medically and in recreation. Also, scientifically speaking, it does less damage to your body, but it does still do damage. It just has an effect on different areas than alcohol.
  12. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Just because you've never heard of a person being killed or getting killed by a person on Marijuana does not mean it's not happening. Impairment, specially when driving, does not really discriminate based on which drug is in your system. I would recommend reading up on the statistics when it comes to driving accidents and pot heads too.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/06/09/marijuana-accidents/10219119/

Columbia University researchers performing a toxicology examination of nearly 24,000 driving fatalities concluded that marijuana contributed to 12% of traffic deaths in 2010, tripled from a decade earlier.
  13. Matthodge1

With that being said, no one has died specifically from a marijuana overdose, therefore the drug itself is/should not be considered a lethal one.
  14. Nick W.

But that's not really the topic is it?

You're 100% right. I never said it was a lethal drug, and I do believe that it's probably better for you that beer or shots, especially when vaporized or ingested in cleaner ways. However, I think it's misleading to let people believe that MJ is harmless. Just because it's better than crack, or even alcohol, does not mean that it does not come with risks and issues.
  15. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

You seem to have asked a question that already gave an answer. The assumption that one commenting believes marijuana is better than alcohol has been established already. The truth is the user determines which is 'better' or 'worse' for lack of better terms. People can acquire an affinity for one while not caring at all for the other. This is completely separate of whether one is chemically addictive over the other. Sometimes habitual addictions & preferences are stronger.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am here to simply endorse everything Nick is a saying. The obvious dangers of alcohol seem to be more clear cut but I am of the firm belief that marijuana can be quite harmful as statistics will shoe. I have spoken before of an otherwise peaceful neighbour who took the life of his girlfriend while high on marijuana.

Of course this matter could be debated but from where I sit, I'm happy to steer clear of anything that has the potential to be harmful be it marijuana or alcohol.
  17. Matthodge1

I never said it was harmless. Now that I understand your point better, I agree with you much more, because people do think that pot is just a harmless thing, whenever it is obvious that it is not.
  18. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

Both are dangerous given the right circumstances. For me though, I believe Marijuana is better than alcohol is because when I do rarely ever smoke, I am danger to no one. Put me in front of a video game or a good movie, hand me something to drink & I'm not moving for hours. As Robin Williams once put it "The only way pot smokers are dangerous is when you take away their munchies" still makes me laugh. I am sided on marijuana not only for the use but the medical applications it holds.
  19. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. Being intoxicated on alcohol makes people lose too much control whereas people who are just smoking up tend to be just a little hazy. The fact that you can't drive drunk but can easily pull it off when high is a clear sign that one is a little less harmful than the other.
  20. Nick W.

I kind of feel like it's not the drug that your taking, but the level of intoxication. I can say unequivocally that I have been drinking and/or smoking and managed to drive fine, but also been drinking or smoking and been beyond the ability to function an automobile. With that being said, does MJ suffer because it's harder to determine the level of intoxication?