An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why doesn't the government stop tobacco businesses?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by daggerdeandoom, May 23, 2015.

1. ok so everyone keeps telling people to stop smoking but it's so hard for them if they can go into a supermarket and they can buy tobacco there so why can't they just shut down the businesses? I know it's their livelyhood but it's killing thousands of people each day and year!
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Because the tax raised from tobacco sales far outweighs the cost of treating people for "smoking related diseases" despite the skewed statistics that are produced to support the government's view.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's not something easy to debate about. I don't understand it but this reality has become so deeply entrenched in our society that the moment you remove it, you'll be greeted with extreme hatred. People at the top are guilty of tobacco addiction so closing down the business would be the same as shutting a part of themselves. Really, those big tobacco tycoons had to dish out wads of cash just to maintain their businesses. Same goes for alcohol.
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Because it's socially acceptable and they make so much money out of it. Most of the cost of cigarettes is tax. Banning it would just create a black market.The same goes for alcohol. Look what happened when the USA banned it for 14 years - everyone just found other ways of getting it and drinking it, and criminal gangs made a lot of money out of it.

Which does rather raise the question of why cannabis is illegal. Just about everyone who wants it knows how to get it, so why not just legalise and tax it? That would create a lot less work for the police, put a lot of illegal drug dealers out of business, and benefit everyone all round.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think it's the government's place to ban it. Even if it causes harm, the same can be said about many other businesses, so I don't believe it should be oversimplified as a main reason. I'm more in favor of just allowing people to make decisions for themselves rather than having the government make it for me.
  6. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Two reasons:
    1) the tax revenue is enormous
    2) the smokers would vote for the opposition
  7. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Simply put, because it brings in the money. Same with alcohol. If it's bringing them money, they don't care. Back in the prohibition days when Alcohol was illegal, the government had no way to regulate and get rich off it. Therefore, "alcohol was bad" as THEY said. The moment they made it legal and taxable, they did a complete turn around. It's the same with weed now. Notice how it's slowly becoming legal on a state-to-state basis? That's because they are discovering ways to get their cut of that money.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Yep, as the posters above stated: the money tobacco brings in is the reason we're never going to see cigarette businesses go away.
    With that being said, I also think that a society that is addicted to certain substances can also be manipulated much easier. That can be a reason too.
  9. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Ideally because our government values personal freedoms and adults should be allowed to make their own decisions, the same reason why alcohol is legal. Also, here in Canada where the taxes on legally sold cigarettes are through the roof, the black market tobacco trade is booming; meaning less regulations, less taxes and more organized crime. Think about how much business that would bring street gangs. It would be like pot all over again.
  10. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I disagree with the socially acceptable viewpoint. It is socially tolerated but not acceptable. That said government bans on the product or sale wouldn't stop people from using it or selling it. Plus the government is collecting taxes on it so it's not likely to be illegal anytime soon.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Plain and simple answer to that question is money. Even though it seems like smokers are turning into the most hated people on the planet, when you listen to some people. The fact of the matter is, without smokers and tobacco companies, countries and governments would be a lot worse off.

Some have even said that to generate the same income without tobacco, government's would have to increase the tax of the general population by at least five per cent each.

And that...is the only reason why they're allowing people to smoke.
  12. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Like everyone else has said, this is pretty easy to answer: Governments get a lot of money from tax, since it's probably one of the most profitable businesses in the world, a billion dollars one, more specifically.
    And, yeah, because things have gone too far, I pretty much doubt that if the governments banned tobacco, it would be a very bad decision since it would encourage illegal producing and smuggling, making a huge black market.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

Like most of you have already stated, it's all about money. It's not just cigarettes, it's a lot of other things. Take oil, for example. Cars can run on many other things besides gas, things that don't pollute the earth as much. So, why don't we use them? Because very powerful people, who are not interested in anything but making money, won't allow it. It hurts their business. We have to stop thinking our governments really give a damn about us. They only seem to care only when something that affects us also affects them. That's why you see nothing is being done about poor people in the world. Why? Because it doesn't affect them, on the contrary, it makes then even richer.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The government makes a lot of money off of the sales tax. That is the only reason why it is legal to sell it. Sure they try to curve it by telling you that the surgeon general suggest otherwise but they are playing both sides of the fence. They collect money off of the sale and at the same time the win the heart of the public by saying its bad for you.
  15. JohnBeaulieu

Yes. Follow the money. It isn't about the public safety or health. People in government may try to justify the taxes to by what they can do to help people with the money but it still isn't write. Profiting off of it can't be justified by doing good somewhere else.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It's all about the money, plus I have the suspusion they use this kind of things as some kind of means for population control. I might sound crazy, but it could really be the case, plus the money, of course, because they just couldn't care less about us. It angers me a lot, becuase cigarettes just like alcohol are so easy to get...

I'm so worried about a loved one who can't stop smoking, everytime he runs out of cigarettes he can just go to the store and buy more, so easily! Breaks my heart so bad...
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

The governments cannot just remove those huge tobacco companies who are paying them big amount of money for taxes and other purposes. There will be workers too that would lost jobs that the government cannot support or provide new jobs. Sad fact.
  18. JohnBeaulieu

I agree that the government isn't the solution. I don't believe the job loss if tobacco companies were shut down is relevant to the ethics or morality of what they produce.
  19. 6up

6up Community Champion

Smokers are many including those in power. So shutting the businesses may be impossible. It is us who buy those company shares hoping to make profits. How many have shares in cigarette companies and yet they do not smoke. Governments get taxes from citizens who buy cigarettes and that contributes to GDPs of those countries. But it is ridiculous that the same governments have measures to curb and treat diseases like cancer.
  20. Tryner

Tryner Member

I see your reasoning, but if they were to criminalize nicotine, I'd still smoke. And I'm sure plenty of others will. I'd be paying a lot more than I am now, though, and I think the government would rather get that money than let me give it to dealers. I think I've the right to do what I want to my body, be it harmful or not. You have the right to keep that harmful substance away from your body, though, and I think there should be stricter laws on where you can smoke.