An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why don't we change the drug war from an expense to a profit center?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by qvogiteman, Jun 24, 2015.

1. qvogiteman

qvogiteman Member

Instead of wasting a trillion dollars on a useless criminal drug policy, why don't we legalize and tax drugs? It's not like they'd be the first things harmful to us that were legalized.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  2. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

I do agree with you that our societies and governments specifically, have legalized substances and items that are harmful to us. However, there are other things that have remained illegal to use in society and I believe there is a good reason behind this. Can you imagine if we began to legalize all substances that are considered drugs. We would see much more calamities than what we are seeing right now.
  3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

I've never used any sort of recreational drug (unless you count alcohol) and I am completely for legalization. We'd help solve the overcrowded jail problem, take business away from criminals, save money on enforcement, and maybe be a bit more productive, since we won't be throwing kids in the slammer for making one stupid mistake. And that's what it is. A stupid mistake. A stupid PERSONAL mistake that doesn't violate anyone's rights and shouldn't be of any concern to the government. Nowadays, our government pays to put young people with no criminal records in jail, ruining their lives and reputations and driving the drug trade underground, where robust secondary markets line the pockets of criminals, whom we spend more money fighting and incarcerating when we could be raking in tax revenues. It's just a phenomenally stupid policy on so many levels, reinforced by the rampant group-think in Washington DC. If you want to encourage people to make good choices in life, educate them. Tell them what drugs do to their bodies. Show them the results. Don't threaten them with government force. A gun is not an argument, and those who try to replace a syllogism with violence make it appear as if the opposite stance is the logical one.
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Great question, since the supposed "war on drugs" has failed miserably. Prohibition doesn't work. The Obama administration is right to treat drug addition more as a public health issue. It's also high time (no pun intended) to legalize marijuana. Do that, and we take away drug dealers' profits.
  5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

It is a profit center. It gives the CIA something to smuggle and it expands the prison industry. It's also a good source of revenue for the "justice" system.
  6. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Because the cops are making too much skimming off the cash finds when bust's are made. Now was that 10 grand or 20 seized, so hard to keep track of these things
  7. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Every time you can think of a better solution and it's not being used, just follow the money, honey. Big Money owns this country. That of, by and for the people thing? It's a crock.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I agree that drugs should be decriminalized, I don't know about being made fully legal.

If they're made legal then while the country would gain billions a year on taxes, it would also mean the drug cartels giving up their whole business and I very much doubt that's ever going to happen.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Legalizing drugs would be like endorsing their use. Thing is if drugs are legalized the health and behavioral problems associated with drugs would shoot up. When we have more people getting addicted to drugs because they are legal, pressure will be on the government to help these people because many of them will be unemployable. Those who work will be taxed more and life would be very hard for everyone. Before long, those who were for legalization of drugs will be demanding that the government get drugs off the streets.

By the way the war on drugs does benefit police departments. All money and assets seized from drug dealers "pad" police budgets.
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Thank you. Sometimes I feel I am alone in the world for holding this view.
    This is 100% on the money.
    Listen I don't like drugs, I don't do them anymore and I don't associate with anyone who does. I will openly judge anyone who is a drug user, I will tell them they are not walking the path God wants. They are living in sin.
    But I realize that o matter what we do, people will seek out drugs. Even in places like China where they will execute you for possession, drugs still exist.
    Our whole current paradigm of prohibition clearly doesn't work.
  11. JonnyMacdonald

This is a commonly held belief. Do you have any evidence to support this? Logically this make sense, but once you start thinking about it critically it breaks down.
    I have evidence that the current system does not work, and that making drugs illegal INCREASES use.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-leads-the-world-in-illegal-drug-use/
    I also have evidence that the move towards legalization just may decrease usage.
    http://mic.com/articles/110344/14-y...riminalized-all-drugs-here-s-what-s-happening

Shots fired. Your move.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am also not in favor of that since there are drugs that said to be really dangerous. There are also recorded crimes here that involved drug addiction. So in here, I think that better to make those drugs remained illegal cause that is what I think will be better.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Take a look at the article linked below. The writer, takes a look at both sides objectively — the reasons given in favor of [legalization of all drugs] and those against legalization . . . it's very enlightening.

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/...on=display_arch&article_id=533&issue_id=32005

The Portuguese example does partly prove that legalization of drugs could actually rob them of their allure and would be followed by a decline in drug addiction and drug use, there's no telling whether similar action would obtain similar results elsewhere.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  14. JonnyMacdonald

Thank you. I love a good debate and I enjoy looking at things from all sides, I'm big on facts and not big on emotional opinions. This topic is one of those that bring up a lot of emotional responses.
    Portugal is such a small and homogeneous country that it really is a weak example, but it's all I really have to look at right now too.
    I'm about 1/2 way done that article, just wanted to take a break and say thanks.

Edit - The author reflects my own views, against legalization but mindful of it's arguments. Which is why you will see me posting Steven information on this forum a lot. I just like to see all sides and really try to challange people to understand it's never that simple.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Rainman likes this.