An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why Drink and Drive Still?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Miaka_M, May 6, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

Countless number of times a day, a life is lost somewhere in the world because of drunk driving, why is that? There are so many campaigns, so many warnings and so many news stories about what can happen when someone drinks and drives? What would have to happen to have people understand that even though they feel sober, getting behind the wheel is the worst thing that they can possibly do? What goes through your mind when you're drunk and you want to go behind the wheel? Have you ever had anyone actually stop you from doing that?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I have never driven after having had a drink at all. Even if I'm below the legal limit, I still won't do it. It's one of the most selfish and stupid things a person can do in my opinion.

I have tried stopping someone from driving whilst they were drunk before but all I got was a barrage of abuse. In hindsight, I should have snatched his car keys really.
    rikka likes this.
  3. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ve never driven after having a drink, either. But I have been in cars with people who had been drinking. Nothing serious ever happened, at least not when I was in the car, but I still knew I was putting myself in danger. It was a big reason I stopped hanging out with those people. Couldn’t stand the nagging feeling in my head anymore.
  4. RHill

RHill Member

It is clearly selfish and I don't those who do it would disagree in their sober state. Drinking and driving is a mistake and those who do it often realise it the next day when they were lucky enough to have not hurt anyone. The best plan is to make it as hard as possible for you to decide to when your judgement is severely impaired later in the night. I leave my keys with someone else and pick them up the next day.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Thankfully I am only a social drinker and I don't have my license either so I have not in any way offended the law through DUI. I just wish the message will sink in. There are people who mock life as if it's that easy to hold on to. They think they can always get away with it so they arrogantly drink and drive. Others are just plain depressed and suicidal, while others do it because of peer pressure and the need to look cool. The reasons vary but it's really hard to deal with people who want to bend the law to serve their own ends.
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

The answer is simple: it's convenient and cheaper than paying for a taxi. That's the "logical deduction" that I have encountered often when I used to work in a bar and tried to dissuade drunken customers from driving themselves home in their cars. I considered it as my personal responsibility to stop them from risking their own life and that of others, often using scare tactics, such as threatening to call the police. As much as I dislike employing such techniques, it always worked. And often, my costumers would thank me the following day for preventing them from doing something really stupid.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

People are stubborn and hard headed. Ask any alcoholic and he will say he is not drunk. I'm guilty of driving drunk as well. It happens you know. You don't think straight when you are on alcohol. That's the bottom line.
  8. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it can be due to ego, and trying to impress people as well, I have seen some in my family try to do that and did not get far just down the road and passed out and had to be bought back home and a hangover the next day. If a life is lost or realationship than, it will be always there in your mind that I could have made a choice and now have to live with it forever. The brain slows down and also, reaction is slower and body is not able to keep up so will be hard to drive and some think they will be lucky all the time and survive it.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

One of the reasons is probably because people think they can handle their drink.

Every year there seems to be a new campaign springing up to stop it but until stricter punishment's are brought in, people won't take any notice.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

A friend of mine told me that she had more self confidence when drunk. So maybe those who are still driving even drunk are confident to drive. Also I believe that being drunk, it can make someone have less ability to think right.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

The answer is very simple, you do it because you have a car and you're drunk. I've gone out driving with absolutely no intention of drinking, but, as we all know, none of us can tell the future. If you bump into a friend, and your friend is also a drinker, what do you think will happen? That's right, all of the sudden you're in a bar giving your lip muscles an intensive workout. When you're done and it's time to go home, you can be sure you're leaving in your car. I'm a bad driver sober, so you can imagine how I drive when I'm drunk. If I'm going to drink, I don't touch my car, but there are always situations that you didn't plan at all, and just because you're driving, it won't stop you from having a few drinks.
  12. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

I see many excellent points here that I had not really thought of. I guess that it would make someone weak if they were to back down and take the easy way out by calling a cab. But, people are not in their right minds. Could it be that the alcohol is what is messing with the mind giving the illusion of more confidence? Is that possible?

A friend of mine who was single for 30 years became extremely drunk one day, a sober friend took him home on the public transit and this man tried to kiss every single girl that came on to the train. There was nothing that the sober friend could do except try to hold him back. Is this an example of the sudden confidence as well, maybe?
  13. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

There are always people who think that they can handle drinking and driving in spite of all the warnings. My sister's husband was killed by a drunk driver after they were married for 3 months.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Make sure you can still choose what to say or discuss on them. :p
    That friend of mine told me that the worst thing she did because of overflowing confidence when drunk was to throw bottles in a store and laugh like crazy. :p
  15. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

It blows my mind that with all of the advertisements and awareness of drunk driving, there are still mindless, self-absorbed morons who do not have the decency to care about human life who deliberately choose to drink and drive. I hate that and it makes me hate humanity.
  16. Matthodge1

I know a lot of people who get confidence whenever they drink, but that does not mean that they should be driving. I don't know why that would even go through someones head.
  17. Matthodge1

I do not understand how someone can be so stubborn that they make a decision that has ultimately killed millions of people.
  18. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Well, I don't know where you live, but where I do... there's not that much information being spread to the public, and there actually aren't many accidents caused by alcoholism. We're among the nations which are worst at driving safety, but it's generally not caused by drunken people.
    Now, concerning you, I'd say most people don't think long-term when they're overly enthusiastic about drinking and driving, like, "Woohoo, look at how cool I am!".
  19. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

That's never a good practice. When I was in the Philippines, I've witnessed a lot of people doing it. It's really idiotic.
  20. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think people when drunk aren't in the best state of mind which is why they often decide to do things that they will regret later on. When in that state you are really not that much in control anymore and instead the alcohol is doing the talking and thinking so I'm not really that surprised that some end up making the wrong decision, which is why it's really the best thing to make a decision before getting drunk.