An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why Drink and Drive Still?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Miaka_M, May 6, 2015.

1. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well I am guessing that once the alcohol has taken over then all judgement is compromised. I have ever drink and drive before and so I can't say why people continue to do it. Some just believe that they can hold their liquor and therefore being drunk will not affect their ability to drive.
  2. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Such wrecklesness is unacceptable. People should be more responsible about this.
  3. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Well, if you become drunk you simply can't think clear enough in order to be responsible. That is why at least one person must be sober so that he can drive safely and take care of his/her friends if they are drunk.
  4. I think a lot of people drink and drive because they don't understand cause and effect. People tend to think if they've done an action multiple times without getting hurt, then that activity is safe. I'd wager the vast majority of people with DUIs or ones who regularly drink and drive without getting caught, fall under this line of logic. You don't get in an accident the first few times doing it, so you think you can hold your liquor and drive.

We also have to remember that we probably shouldn't consider inebriated people to be rational actors. Alcohol impairs your judgement. I think being in an altered state makes it a lot easier to do risky behavior. Definitely not trying to provide an excuse, but it is an explanation.

I also think part of the problem is the lack of public transportation/the way urban areas are laid out. It can be way too hard to get a taxi at bar close in many areas.
  5. rikka

rikka Member

Oh, so true! I wonder why people who drink and drive think that they are invulnerable. Because it did not happen to them that they got in an accident? That they were not arrested? Why? Why? Yes, they are selfish and stupid. They are only thinking of themselves. Such egoistic dudes.

If I were in your shoes, I will also snatch is car keys.