An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why drink that much and the next day not remember anything??

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by albiad8, Jan 30, 2015.

1. albiad8

albiad8 Member

Hello everyone .I wanted to ask and know what you think about this topic
    Why drink to too much and the next day not remember anything that happened?
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Most people don't suffer from this. This is called "blackout syndrome"

People do it because they can't hold back while drinking. Or they're drinking to forget something they want to forget. Whatever the case is, the fact is they're abusing it to a certain effect. When I drink I drink for a "Buzz" feeling and then stop. That's the true point. Anything after that to where you "Black Out" is literally just poisoning yourself. That is why it's called "Alcohol Poisoning" - that extreme drunk you feel isn't a fun high. It's literally killing you. And your liver.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

From my own past experiences, i recall having similar problems but all that would depend on the kind of alcohol that i had consumed.I remember suffering from memory losses the following morning whenever i drank strong spirits or brandy in large amounts.But with beer,it was a different story because i had a vivid memory of last night's events and had a less amount of hangover.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Those into binge drinking for example tend to have these kind of blackouts and find themselves waking up in hospital beds. They'll have absolutely no recollection of what transpired prior to their being hospitalized. As Shimus correctly points out, this sort of drinking could result in death.
  5. 23arrow23

23arrow23 Member

I completely agree. It never happened to me with beer or wine, mostly with vodka and whisky. Of course it depends on the amount but my general rule is to avoid strong spirits if I wanted to keep my cool. Also, I dont think that anyone plans to blackout. It happens when you feel just right and there is a point of no return but you still decide to go firther because you feel great. Then you just wake up at home and the last thing you remember was that moment when you decided to take it to the next level.
  6. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

The majority of people who live on my college campus, or really any college campus for that matter, do this at least once a week, if not three or four or even five times a week. They drink alcohol like a fish drinks water, and they get so wasted that they don't remember things that they did the night before, or they pass out at someone's house and forget where they are, or they take someone home with them or go home with someone else and when they wake up they have no idea who they're laying next to.
  7. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Ethanol induce blackout(s) occur when the drinking man's or woman's brain can no longer sustain normal memory functions and shuts it down as a safety to allow his or her other bodily functions to operate at higher levels. It's your body expressing it doesn't need to record these experiences, it needs to secure what is best to keep you breathing! Also, the more you have blackouts will result in you having it more often and easier.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That answer to the question you posed is subject to people's discretion, you know. There are people who need to get away from their problems, thus the "drinking to forget" mantra. Others are simply hedonistic - YOLO as they call it - and care too little about themselves.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Black outs happen to me when I do eat a full meal before drinking. The alcohol goes straight into my bloodstream and whammooooo!! I go blank!! No, I do not have a problem, because I hardly drink at all and my tolerance is really low. I sometimes forget that to eat a full meal or in between drinks to help me get through the night.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

That's the whole point of it for many people - they drink to forget their problems. Some people actively seek to blot everything out as the reality of their situations are too painful to bear.

Don't forget it can be really easy to drink too much without really realizing it.