An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why I am here

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Deeishere, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Hello, My name is Dee and I decided to join this group to help me to overcome bad food habits. I know sometimes we think that only drugs and alcohol can destroy our bodies, but certain foods can damage it as well. I am a cancer survivor. I was diagnosed back in 2012 after having a colonoscopy. Fortunately, it was in the polyp and that was removed. I did well in my eating for a while and did lose a lot of weight. Now I am back into my old habits of cakes, pies, cookies, chips and candy. It's just all soothing to me and at the same time bad for me. I am one that can't eat in moderation. Moderation becomes an obsession. I know sugar can help cancer to grow. I bit the bullet once, but I don't want it to come at me again. So here I am.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Hi Deeishere and welcome to the group. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Sugar is an addiction. It is hard to give it up. I believe you can do it because you did it before. It is wonderful that you are a cancer survivor. We are here to support you and help you in any way that we can.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hi there, Dee. I'm also dealing with eating issues and yes, I totally know how you feel. Overeating is the worst thing we can do for our bodies, this nasty habit has definitely changed my body and destroyed my self-esteem. But last week I decided to start watching what I eat and guess what? It's working :) I recommend you to read the Allen Carr book, it's really good and targeted at people with this kind of issues.
    Deeishere likes this.
  4. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi @Deeishere! :) Welcome to the forum let me tell you first that I'm happy to learn that you have beaten your cancer. It is a second chance at life that has been given to you and I'm happy that you have been lucky to be given this chance. Sugar intake can be very addicting because of the pleasure the sweetness gives our taste buds. But just like what L_B said, you were successful at quitting your bad food habits before and you still have the chance to do it again. Focus on your need to stay out of the negative food habit and stay at it. I know it is hard to do especially during your first tries but as long as you keep at it, you will eventually quit soon.
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Deeishere likes this.
  6. Deeishere

Thank you Tremmie for the recommendation. I will look up this book on Amazon. I think it's a challenge when eating bad foods is more socially acceptable. After all, what do we buy on Valentine, Easter and Halloween? Most people will not buy something healthy. It's good to know that I am not alone. I plan to start watching what I eat too. What helped me before was doing a food makeover in my home. I'm so glad that I am come on this forum and get support. I hope to see updates on how you are doing.
  7. Deeishere

Thank you guys for all of your wonderful comments and information. I will definitely look up the information and read. One of the things that really motivated me in the past is reading lots of information and watching videos. Of course putting it into action too!
    Winterybella likes this.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think that if you want to be deterred then just think of all the harm that you will inflict on your body if you continue to eat such unhealthy and sugary foods. You don't want your cancer to come back, don't you? Mind over matter! You can do it!
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there, @Deeishere! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing. It's good to know that you badly want to get rid of your eating obsession. Keep that determination and fighting spirit. You can do it. Just have faith in yourself, and stay focused.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

You don't have to give up the things you like ;) Just eat them with moderation :) I know it sounds hard, but the book I told you about talks about that. Basically everything is good as long as most of the things you eat are fruits and vegetables :) I try to eat well the whole week, but n Saturday I take that day off and I eat a couple things I can't normally eat during the week. So far I've lost one kilo, it requires some will power, but you know what helps me loads? Tea! Drinking tea!
  11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Hello there @Deeishere and welcome to this forum! I had relatives and a friend who had cancer but they had kept fighting for this dreadful disease for the sake of their family. If you really love your life and your family don't lose hope. It is just a matter of change in your eating lifestyle and moderation is the key. Life is wonderful and you have to enjoy it with your family and love ones that is why go on fighting and change for the better of your life.
  12. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I'm so glad you're here and welcome. I love that you're sharing this with us because certainly our mindsets can focus just on drugs and alcohol and we forget about other problems people have. This being one of them. So thanks for sharing and I'm glad you survived your cancer and are working toward eating healthier.
  13. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Congrats for your tenacity and determination to live to fight another day. Most people see issues in white and black. There is no grey area. For instance, drugs are a cloud with a silver lining of medical applications. On the other hand, salt and sugar are silver with a cloud lining of medical complications. I think we could do well to keep off drugs and use everything else in moderation. Pies and cakes are high sugar release foods which just increase the cravings. Low sugar release foods like arrowroots are the best.
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I wish I could help you with this, but food is my addiction too. I love to eat, but beyond that I also use it to companion myself and as a crutch for loneliness. These are just some of the unhealthy ways people use food. I think keeping a food diary with your emotions as you are eating the foods will help. When you figure out what situations are causing you to eat, you can figure out something else to do in place of it.
  15. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Congratulations on your winning fight against cancer, that alone is proof that you can overcome your eating habits. I used to be obsessed with sweet drinks when I was a teen and ended up only being able to eat soft foot because my teeth were in so much pain from rotting away. I overcame it by finding alternatives. Instead of cola, I drank water and orange juice and today my teeth are a lot better. What I am hinting at is that a great way to go about kicking the habit is by finding alternatives foods that you enjoy, healthy ones. There are many tasty fruits and vegetables, as well as healthy alternatives to popular junk food. For example, instead of buying a burger at a fast food restaurant, try making a home made one! That way you know the exact ingredients you're putting in and can be rest assured you'll have something that is not only tasty, but healthy too. I think joining this forum is not only educational, but inspiring and I'm sure the great people here will help you a lot. Regards and wish you all the best!
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Hello Dee! You've been through a lot. Cancer certainly is a great hurdle but you managed to survive it so congratulations to you. Now, you're beset with another challenge: to develop healthier eating habits. Well it's a tricky situation. You have to have a lot of motivation, self-discipline and will in order to beat this challenge. If you don't step up to the plate and be the master of your life, you'll probably end up feeling bad about it. I do know you can if you put your heart into it. No mountain's too high for a person who never gives up. Best of luck!
  17. fergilicious

fergilicious Member

Hello Dee. I'm really glad you shared this. I have a problem similar to yours, but not quite the same. Yours is sugar, mine is salt. Your fear is becoming a cancer patient again, mine is the excruciating fear of getting fat. I even get bad dreams about it sometimes.
    I'm always on diet and that is my obsession. I'm also working on myself.
    I think you should try to go on a vacation-for a while- to a place where you won't get to see people eat sugary things, get to buy sugary things or even see it. You could go with a friend or a cousin who understands your goal and truly wants to help.
    You stay away from those things for some time, and in that period, eat healthy food. Then pick the one you like best of all those foods.
    With that food in mind, go home, and you'll see that those sweet things won't be as alluring to you as before. Every time those cravings come, get that healthy food you really like and eat it in the place of those cakes.
    With this and strong determination, you'll overcome.
    Good luck.