An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why I haven't got a sponsor yet.I need advice or something on this one

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by True concern, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

Check in with yourself on everything.... pause. go within.

the "all or nothing" mentality may be a coping mechanism you picked up when you were young. the black and white... or little grey area. i know people like this.... they're either going a hundred miles an hour or zero. haha

let us remind you of the grey area.... not too much, not too little, but yeah, balance.

it's a daily practice buddy. ;)
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  2. True concern

True concern Moderator

I understand, and WOW it feels like a lifetime, these past 10 month's and I am just barely starting to get the simplest concepts,balance, trust,confidence, etc and I am slowly starting to target the shame and guilt I carry...I have heard it a thousand times "take care of self"and the rest will come,but I believe you to be correct "all or nothing"my biggest coping mechanism. It never crossed my mind, not once until I read it just now.The 12 steps N/A I believe is going to be key to my recovery, I found what I think will be my home group last night as for the first time ever I heard other grown men express anger and rage the way I have to deal with it at time's but after they expressed it they held themselves accountable instead of blaming other's,I believe it's step 4 but I'm just getting started kinda taking a personal inventory. This is a weird thing,changing trying to reprogram my brain but I am starting to see Earth is not my personal playground....so to speak
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  3. True concern

True concern Moderator

You are correct and of course you are as well my brother.Im pretty fond of you both I must admit
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@True concern so glad you're getting such insight.... wonderful indeed. i also think meetings will do you good. take what you can use and leave the rest.... :) i know when i worked the steps it was the first time in my life i really started digging into me...and it was challenging at first!!
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  5. True concern

True concern Moderator

I got a 10 month jump start on the digging,I started that here,i broke a lot of shovels but I think the hole is widening:confused:;):)
  6. True concern

True concern Moderator

I love this damn suspicious emoji....it cracks me up lol
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Keep on digging, @True concern!!!

(And yes, that emoji is a hoot!)
    True concern and Dominica like this.