An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why I joined

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by northern_progressive, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Hello everyone, just wanted to quickly say hello and explain a bit about why I'm here.

Although I am not addicted to any drugs, my educational background is in social welfare and I am currently looking for employment in homeless shelters. I have taken courses on addiction and drug use, and even conducted research about harm reduction efforts in my community, but I thought that joining this forum and following some of the conversations might help give me a better idea of what life is like for people who struggle with substance abuse.
    bhu, Mara and MrsJones like this.
  2. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Welcome and I have joined for the same reasons you have, I also have not been personally addicted to any drugs but I do know of many people who have been. I hope you make a great impact on the community here and perhaps learn something along the way. & Respect for what you do for a living.
  3. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Thanks for being here, I am ready to answer your questions regarding mental issues and addiction. In the past I was addicted to alcohol and prescription drugs and I also had couple of mental issues such as clinical depression and clinical anxiety.
  4. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Welcome @northern_progressive. Thank you for joining us. I have no doubt that you will find interesting and moving discussions going on here but most of all the support given to all who seek it. I look forward to reading your contributions.
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Welcome @northern_progressive. You have undoubtedly come the right place. You are sure to meet people of every background here. While many continue to struggle you will also read of those who have been able to overcome their struggles and are now free of any addiction We warmly welcome you and look forward to you sharing your insight as well.
  6. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

Welcome! I remember when I first joined a drug-abuse based form. It was just to get insight into what was happening with my younger brother. He passed in 2010 at the age of 20. If you had told me 10 years ago that I would be browsing a place like this I would've been very confused.

I always commend social workers who strive to do their best and take on his or her own research. Especially seeing as they have caseloads that are stacked miles high on their desks....
  7. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Hello @northern_progressive and welcome to the community. Thanks for joining. You can definitely learn a lot from the personal experiences of the members of this forum. I know, I have. Feel free to mingle and join the discussions. :)
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  8. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Welcome. Thanks for your service and what you provide to humanity as a whole.

I'm of a mind that those with drug problems need help, not imprisonment. Seems you agree :)
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think it will help you Northern Progress. Even though I am sure you have a good idea of the struggles of those who are addicts, I think it will be helpful for you to get into the mindset of those who struggle with substances. Sadly, many of the people you will be working with probably were not able to conquer their addictions..they still might with the right assistance, and mindset.
  10. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Hey, @northern_progressive... Welcome to the community and thanks for being here. In addition to learning from the various discussions here, perhaps you could also share some of your knowledge along the way. That would be a wonderful thing. I look forward to seeing you around!
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Welcome to the group. It is good to have you here with us. I think it is wonderful that you are seeking employment in the field that you are. This is a great group with a lot of people who have their own stories to tell. Some of similar but yet so different. I am sure you will learn a lot here.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This type of forum is useful for understanding the causes and possible solutions for drug abuse. Hearing different peoples stories and advice gives you a better perspective of the subject. I've learned a lot about addictions way beyond drug abuse here. Overall the causes of addiction start in the brain.
  13. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

You have joined the right place, dear friend. In this forum, you can share and get the knowledge about various drugs and addiction consequence. This forum will definitely help in your research. Feel free to post any question without hesitation. Good Luck. :)
  14. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

Welcome @northern_progressive! Glad you are here. What an awesome career choice. You must be a very kind a caring person. The homeless are very interesting people, with super-sad stories. Most homeless shelters around here are run by volunteers. That might be one way to get experience and get your foot in the door. I look forward to hearing how your journey goes!
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Hello there and welcome to the forum! Well you have come to the right place, and you will really see how it's like to suffer from drugs and other substances as you read the narration of the members. So feel free to look around and comment and ask questions. We are here to help you!
  16. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@northern_progressive Hello and welcome to this forum! I am sure you can share and learn a lot with the discussions here. You had taken courses on addiction and drug use and it is indeed an interesting and challenging kind of work dealing with people who are struggling with substance abuse. Well, good luck on your journey in this forum to help other people! :)
  17. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to share your reason for being here. The sub-forums here cover a wide array of drugs - from narcotics to prescription meds - and other forms of substance abuse. Some stories are stories of triumph and successfully overcoming addiction. Other stories are pleas for help and support. Feel free to browse through every nook and cranny of this forum. All the best!
  18. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Hello @northern_progressive I'm sure your contributions will be highly appreciated here. There are a lot of nice people here both recovered and recovering who show us the real side of life and help us with addicted people around us. How to support them, hold them and avoid pushing them away.

Welcome to the forum.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hi there, glad you decided to join us :) I think you will learn a lot from following the conversations that take place over here, I know I have :) I've also discovered so many things about my life, my personality and other things since I am part of this amazing community. I'm sure you will benefit a lot from being part of this group :)
  20. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

I joined because I needed the money. I am also having a hard time looking for a job. So, I must do what I can to produce enough income to support me. I want to get my own place one day. I am tired of dealing with my family. They treat me like **** and I’m tired of dealing with them.