An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why I Quit

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Darkestbeforedawn, Sep 14, 2017.

1. It all started over a month ago. I was in so deep with my drug and alcohol addiction I couldn't see anything else. I'm 19 years old and for the past 2 years I became obsessed with getting high and finding the means to get more. Just over a month ago, it became to much too handle. When I did not have access to the drugs of my choosing, I relied on alcohol to get me through the day. At this point I lived with my mother and we were slowly growing further and further apart due to my addiction. It was 10am and I had finished a full bottle of vodka that I bought from the LCBO just an hour before. I became violent and out of control. My mother called the police on me and I was taken into the back of a police car, on the way to the hospital to sober up. I was kept in an observation room for a full 24 hours. The doctors and nurses would come periodically for blood tests to see what was in my system and if the waiting was actually helping to sober me up. They could not ask me any questions; I was unresponsive. Finally the blood tests came back and I was positive for alcohol, Percocets, marijuana, cocaine, codeine and xanax. Thus began my journey to sobriety. I was placed in a treatment facility where I still to this day go to for classes on how to deal with my addictions. I was diagnosed in the hospital with borderline personality disorder and have since undergone lots of therapy sessions at the hospital to teach me to deal with my emotions. I regularly attend narcotics anonymous meetings and I could not be more happy or grateful for where I am at it in my recovery. For the first time in a long time I have a new feeling, and that is hope.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Darkestbeforedawn... Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. I'm so happy to hear that you are in recovery. Keep doing the next right thing, my friend. You are an inspiration!