An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why is Alcohol Legal?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by sarahm, Sep 12, 2014.

1. I think it's legal just because it's a way to make money and it would be a really difficult thing to make illegal now that it's been legal for so long.
  2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

You can look at all of the bars and nightclubs that we have which many of. I mean they are businesses so they have to profit from something. I would not want to run a bar since it requires lots of hard work but lots of people run to have his or her drinks.
  3. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

Alcohol is legal because we tried prohibition and it was worse than controlled alcohol consumption. Marijuana is prohibited because William Randolph Hearst feared that hemp would compete with his newsprint pulp business and the KKK thought marijuana would expose white children to "dark skinned people". Today the main opposition comes from the phamacy industry.
  4. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

I believe Alcohol is legal for many reasons, but on top of the list are these two reasons;1) Almost the entire World of adult population has had some level of alcohol, whether mild or harsh. This I believe is ultimately the reason alcohol is legal- for the fact that people have been consuming alcohol probably before their were laws and that it has the ability to be brought to a lower level, unlike Marijuana on the other hand, however pro-marijuana supporters often point to an argument that showed over 40% of Americans trying marijuana at least once, but that same study shows that over 90% of Americans have had alcohol,having found that-practically, would it be feasible to ban something that almost all Americans have already done? My second reason is because of money! the alcohol is a $400 billion industry with enough employees to start a small nation. That's a lot of money, and since countries need money..hey! lol, can't ban something that's giving you money. After all, look at all the states that are now revising marijuana laws. Makes sense now?
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree that this is incredibly confusing as its boggled me for years now. In my opinion, it's probably all just politics. Based on the propaganda videos of the past, I can tell that the leaders had something more sinister in mind when keeping marijuana illegal due to the nature of the PSAs being overly exaggerated and even downright inaccurate. Whatever the real reason is, I would put my bet on the theory that it is a decision based on money.
  6. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

People like their beer and mixed drinks. It is a money making machine and you won't see it changed anytime soon. Marijuana is slowly becoming more acceptable because researchers are now actually being able to study it and the effects it has. Before many researchers were stopped from testing it because it is listed as a controlled substance. There are so many different documentaries you can watch on just why weed is illegal and all of the reasons are ridiculous.
    I would rather see someone smoking weed and driving than drinking a six pack and driving any day. Weed makes you paranoid to a degree so you are much more on guard. Whereas alcohol makes you easily distracted and a danger to everyone. I personally don't recommend driving under the influence of any drug, but when you have the munchies and are out of pop tarts you gotta go to the store.
    Since Colorado has done so well after making it legal there has been a huge rise in support of making it available to the public. Politicians decried the decision saying crime would rise, didn't happen. They said children would be smoking everywhere and getting it freely, hasn't happened. Bottom line is we can tax it and get out of this hole we are in and let people choose for themselves as people do everyday with cigarettes and beer. They trust me with those and both are well more dangerous than weed is in my opinion.
  7. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I suppose the government has decided that the citizens of the united states needs some type of legal enjoyment. If that is what you want to call it. So alcohol is that source of so called enjoyment for most people. I was a drunk and I do mean a heavy drinker, yes I worked and took care of my family. Everything revolved around my addiction to booze however. I totally wish it wasn't legal it is a thief and a liar. I've been sober now for four years, I feel wonderful, and I am in total control. How my heart weeps for those that, I see struggling with addiction. Alcohol will continue to destroy lives, that's what it does. If I could rid the world of one thing that would be it.
  8. thomas pendrake

The fact that smoking weed makes you paranoid is one of the benefits of legalized pot (preferably for smoking) When smoked, marijuana is self limiting because of the paranoia. As you become stoned, you start to feel "better stop before I get too stoned". This does not apply when ingested. Only the experienced stoner should eat Alice B. Toklas brownies. Or anything else from her cookbook. Alcohol is notorious for the opposite effect. "I've only had a few drinks, I can drive my maserati on the autobahn."
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think alcohol is legal because the government makes a lot of money from taxes. Making it illegal would get the stuff off the shelves, yeah but still people would still learn how to brew their own beer or any other alcoholic drink. This would be even worse because you won't know what kind of ingredients and chemicals these brewers will use to make the alcohol. And they'd sell it anyway, illegally.

That's why it will stay legal — for the money.
  10. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Probably alcohol is still legal because of some economic reasons. I live in a country which has the highest rate on Europe of alcohol consumption per citizen. I know what is like to have a decimated family because alcohol, to see your father drank every night and to wish that alcohol was never legal. But hey, it's just another part of life, some doctors says that a glass of wine or beer per day helps per total you health. Sadly, too many people use more than a glass or simply a glass too big and they end up ruining lives / destroying families.
  11. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

I really don't know. Both alcohol and marijuana have been with us as a coping mechanism for thousand of years, yet smoking marijuana is still stigmatized while drinking alcohol is completely normal. It's a fact that both substances affect how we act and how we perceive the world. I feel like a controlled legalization of marijuana could lead to some benefits.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I agree. Uncle Same is making money off of taxing alcohol makers and sellers. Same reason why Marijuana is now legal in Colorado. The state is pulling in big numbers from taxing dispensaries. It legal when they can make a cut out of the sales and usage. It was never about saving the people of the children.
  13. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Looking at the definition of a schedule 1 narcotic, it appears that alcohol should be under this definition. I am not from the U.S., but I thought that from what I have read on the internet, marijuana is used for medical purposes. So, why is it defined under a schedule 1 narcotic? I think in my country, alcohol is legal because it's used in a lot of celebrations. The drinking age here is 18. I think it's also legal here because many people do not really overuse it out in public. Most people, if they drink excessively, it's done at home.
  14. nafretiti

nafretiti Member

Alcohol should not be legal, it should be banned just like weed is. It is a horrible substance and really wish it was out lawed. The drinking age should be raised up to 30 years old if anything, even the age of 21 is still way too young. I have had a horrible experience with this, my step dad was an abuser and really hated it.
  15. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

Banning alcohol does not work, which we saw with prohibition. It is too easy to make yourself at home. If it were banned people would just buy and sell it unregulated on a black market. The same happens with marijuana.

I also don't agree that 21 is too young. The drinking age is much lower pretty much everywhere else.
  16. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

Sadly, this is a global issue and not just US-specific. Having lived in a few countries over the years, I realize how much alcohol has infiltrated everyday living and part of our culture.

I recall from my university dissertation that the temperance movement in France in the 19th century attempted to tackle the issue of alcoholism and associated social issues. But their focus was on absinthe and certain other 'cheap' spirits rather than ciders and wine, which were given to children and treated like a soft drink.

Wine in particular had very powerful backers which ensured that it was viewed as taking on medicinal qualities. You weren't a "proper Frenchman" back then if you didn't drink wine, and being drunk on wine was a "nice" kind of drunkeness. Now in the 20th century you're still seeing certain alcoholic drinks getting preferential treatment, thanks in part due to big money backing.

More education and less big money being allowed to impact things, and we would be in a better place.
  17. thomas pendrake

I am unaware of any cheap absinthe, but do understand that some less expensive forms were once available. True absinthe was banned because of the use of wormwood, which is toxic and hallucinogenic.
  18. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

It is definitely about the money and I have oftentimes wondered the same thing. In certain cultures, alcoholism is not even recognized as an addiction. Here in Jamaica, it is just another thing and so is weed smoking. People need to be more sensitized about the effects of all addictions but I guess our leaders don't want to lose the profit, they are earning from these alcoholic beverages.
  19. kaerfaima

kaerfaima Member

I have to agree on other people's comments that the answer to your question is not about the science of alcohol but something political or business related. I know that you have an idea that alcohol industry rakes in a lot of money. In some countries like mine, alcohol companies are on top list of those with big revenues yearly. If they shut down the alcohol industry, I don't know exactly what will happen but I know for sure that it will not be good.
  20. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

I think it's because of the risk factors that come with the use of alcohol. Why marijuana is on the list leaves many questions unanswered. I don't have answers to that but I can say that it doesn't matter whether drugs are legal or not. It's all a matter of awareness and choice. The fact that alcohol is legal doesn't mean that it should be abused. Unfortunately people will always do that for their own reasons. The choices we make dictate our own fate.