An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why is Alcohol Legal?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by sarahm, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

I can only think one real reason why alcohol is legal. It makes a lot of money and the people who make alcohol are old families. By old families, I mean families who have been in this business of making alcohol for many generations and over the centuries, they have, with the use of their wealth, embedded themselves firmly in the seats of power. So, what do you do when you are securely in the seats of power? Take care of the family business, of course. So alcohol is legal.
  2. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Old families make alcohol: yes. And when we speak of old family, we also must talk of old cultural habits and traditions. In Bavaria, two revolutions broke out because the government tried to raise the tax on beer! The Prohibition did not work out in the States (like some Anti Flag lyrics state it, "Making it Illegal Won't Make it Go Away!"), but it's kind of unthinkable in Europe. Champagne to weddings; warm wine on Christmas; cheering for friendship, etc. Every alcohol has its identity, and its aura. Whisky and tequila have two completely different customer basis.

And the taxes, like someone mentioned, are a very good point. I've read once that in the Netherlands, where cannabis is legal, the alcohol industry lost a lot of its revenue. On these numbers, you would of course have many alcohol companies lobbying against legalization of weed. Along with the previously mentioned companies of cotton, oil, etc, all those things that hemp could provide a better option for.

Politics have many time nothing to do with ethic, and a whole lot to do with profits and friendships. It sucks, but it is what it is, and for this, so many people think there is nothing wrong with drinking like a hole, but society revolts against weed smokers! Because it's "criminal". Alcohol is much more dangerous than weed. So is tobacco, for that matter.
  3. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

Just curious. Seeing how the sale of alcohol is legal in so many places, I wonder if the production of alcoholic drinks is strictly controlled. Like only certain companies are allowed to produce it. Like an ordinary citizen cannot produce his own alcoholic drink. I know where I used to live, it's illegal unless you have a permit from the authorities, and a permit from the authorities is not something that's easy or cheap to obtain.

What's the situation where you live? Can you make an alcoholic drink at home, legally?
  4. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

Yes, citizens can make their own items if not intended for resale in many states. Many states allow for craft brewing and distilling. You can pick up a home brewing kit that can make about 24 beers at just about any box store heading into the holidays. Many states allow for small batch distilled items as well. These smaller companies are taking a bite out of the pocketbooks of companies such as Jack Daniels etc. I can contest to this as I've brewed... the beer was horrid... and I know Jack Daniels helped get some legislation passed in Tennessee defining what could be labeled as "Tennessee Whiskey." I think the basic thing is "so many gallons" per "household" for "personal use per year." For instance, I think the formula in many states is up to 100 gallons per adult but no more than 200 gallons per household. At least that's what I was told when I tried making my HORRIBLE beer. On the other hand, my neighbor has made some pretty decent craft beers.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yeah I think of all reasons to is the most plausible because it seems like this is really the only thing anyone cares about, especially the leaders who have much more control and access over it. They will jump on anything or try and ban anything as long as they can see themselves making a profit off of that decision, while in the background they are free to do whatever they want and for all we know these people probably partake in illegal activities behind the scenes.
  6. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

Customs... it is hard to make something suddenly illegal that has been a part of our culture for so many years. The other side of it is just the reality of the economics.. if you make it illegal, you take away tax dollars and the regulation that comes with it being legal, and instead will make it an income source for individuals who are doing other bad things. It is one of the reasons why I think it is better that pot be legal, taxed and regulated rather than being available only from shady people who are also selling harder drugs.
  7. fire421

fire421 Member

The government feels like they can profit off of it. Eventually it'll be the same way with marijuana. It already is in Colorado. The government also wants to listen to the people because if they didn't there would be chaos and violence. They don't care how harmful the substance is all that matters is the money they make off of it and the reaction of the people.
  8. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

It is definitely mainly because of business. It bugs me too, because death on alcohol has been more high than marijuana. Has anyone known anyone who even died of marijuana?
  9. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Alcohol is very widely abused.
    Like everything, too much of a good thing is never a good thing. Drinking too much water can kill you. Eating too much broccoli, or sniffing broccoli dust can kill you. Too much alcohol can very easily kill you, which is why it is important to drink responsibly. If you do so, alcohol is completely safe.
    There are too big reasons as to why alcohol is legal:
    1) It makes money. State and local alcohol tax revenues $5.6 billion each year. This is too much money for the U.S economy to just give up. Making alcohol illegal would also put even more people out of a job, since many people own and work for liquor stores.
    2) Alcohol has been made illegal in America, and not too long ago, either. It failed miserably. Look up Prohibition, and you'll see. The U.S definitely doesn't want to repeat this moment in history.
  10. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

Do we conclude that whatever makes a lot of money for the government will be legal? I suppose that can be more true than we think. Look at gambling. It's legal as long as they pay their taxes. I think prostitution is also legal, in some form or other. All they have to do is pay their taxes and they are legal. Making money out of killing people is also legal. Just look at the arms industry. They pay their taxes, so they are legal.
  11. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it is something that society is used to and wants it as well and there is profit to be made from it and enjoyable drink to have if using it in moderation. I think making alcohol illegal will cause a revolt and, in some countries violence will occur and riots due to alcohol being taken away from them. People would still make it, like how in the old days people made it and distributed it and most people hid it from the governments bootlegging was the common form of illegal distribution of it.
  12. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

Alcohol will always stay legal, it's too late now to change that since it's completely integrated in our social daily lives. If someone gets married you drink a glass to celebrate, if you have a good meal, why not have a glass of wine with it, when going to a pub after work, relax with a cold beer. Alcohol is everywhere and not regarded as a drug, which makes it so dangerous with a high risk of being underestimated as a drug.
  13. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I've heard that during prohibition era, cases of alcohol poisoning soared up. They said that when you make things illegal, you are handing over the control to the criminals.

I am not in the position to argue but they said that if alcohol was made illegal (again), then those crime lords would control the distributions of more dangerous alcoholic beverages. I guess if you want current examples, you can study what happens to some middle eastern countries that ban alcohol but still have considerable amount of their populations drink alcohol (from smugglers).
  14. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I always wonder why the United States government has chosen to make something much less harmless, like marijuana, illegal for consumption even though it actually has a lot of benefits for sick people to have it, while alcohol is completely legal and it makes a lot more people sick and kills people and it really does ruin a lot of people's lives.
  15. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I am not a proponent of recreational use (not medical use) of marijuana as well and I put marijuana in the same category as alcohol in terms of getting people addicted. However, I agree that legalizing marijuana, just like legalizing alcohol, might reduce marijuana related crimes that are prominent in the United States. Just look at those countries where marijuana is legal and you can see the difference. However, I agree that uncontrolled use of alcohol is dangerous as well.
  16. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think that alcohol is legal the same reason that marijuana will soon be legal. Well, even though it's not EXACTLY the same, I do think that there are people to seek to make money from the addictions of others. At least I think that that is a big part of it.
  17. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

At least one of very many reasons is the fact it's such a big industry with a big lobby. Making it illegal would take away a lot of money from a lot of people who would complain and sue and they have already tried making it illegal once, after all. It didn't work whatsoever. People bringing up that wine is very easy to make are right, too. It wouldn't stop just because it was illegal.
  18. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

Just think about how much money is made with the alcohol industry. If it would shot down, the economy would take an enormous blow and literally millions of people would lose their jobs. Alcohol has become way to powerful to be able to be stopped easily nowadays. The other thing is that most people know how to control their drinking and they like their beer, wine or other drinks and don't want it to become illegal.
  19. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I think it has been around forever. It seems to be to most that drink it "not a bad thing" I totally laugh at that concept. It is as deadly, and more so then any street drug. I think it's legal because people enjoy it so much, and it's big business.
  20. 23arrow23

23arrow23 Member

It's legal because of its long history and the fact that it is so ingrained in our society as our socially accepted drug. However, the fact that marijuana is still illegal is a travesty. By now, all independent research indicates that alcohol is way worse and detrimental to our health and yet it still remains available for the masses and is by far the most socially acceptable way to take the edge off.