An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why is Alcohol Legal?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by sarahm, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Why? It's taxable. It's a major government earner and spender in both public and private sectors. It's easy to get a hold of, and to make in your own home even. Weed in comparison is trickier and not widely recognized. Same goes with any other drug or abusive substance.

I still feel it's still legal despite all its downfalls just so people can collect. Call me a conspiracy theorist; but I think I'm only being a realist.
  2. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

The fact remains it's legal no matter why. It's not going anywhere as I stated in last post it's big business. That being said being a responsible drinker would be key to lower the risk of not only addiction, but DWI as well. We don't live in a perfect world while some have a grasp on it others never will.
  3. awesomeaniruddh

awesomeaniruddh Active Contributor

Because alcohol earns the government good money. If drunk in moderate amounts, then alcohol has been known to help with heart diseases, but again excess causes health disease. I'm pretty sure the government earns a lotta money thanks to the alcohol tax, and it is unlikely that it will be removed.
  4. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

So many people abuse alcohol. The bottom line is it's a slow killer in many different ways. People have been abusing it I'm sure since it's creation. The big brands like Budweiser advertise beer as a good time in a can. Many people especially teenagers buy into that lie. The rich get richer the fools get drunk.
  5. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

Almost all deaths related to Marijuana stem from criminal activities related to marijuana related to prohibition. All studies indicate that legalization will result in lower consumption. Consumption will be in safer situations. Deaths do not occur from the drug itself (perhaps in very rare allergic reactions, much like peanut related deaths.)
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That studies could just be true for a certain are or country but maybe not on other places. It maybe true that consumption is lower if it is legal but it could attract more to use. Since more will think it was just okay to use it since it is legal.
  7. This is a long thread already with a lot of true answers and probably doesn't need my input but the subject title reminded me of a movie I watched recently called "Lawless" when the bootleggers making moonshine were hunted down like they were illegal drug dealers. This country doesn't like anything that makes someone money and isn't taxed. But if it can boost the economy, there will be a way. Enter medical marijuana.
  8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Well, if marijuana were legal they indeed could tax it so that's a tad too simplistic a reason as to why it remains illegal. It's a matter of admitting defeat & wasting billions on a war that has resulted in more negatives than positives.

The first response to this question covered everything that needed to be covered. Re-legalizing alcohol had more to do with taxes & the freedom of the act than anything else. Marijuana became a scapegoat.
    thomas pendrake likes this.
  9. thomas pendrake

The fact is that many people are first tempted to use it because it is illegal and that makes it an act of rebellion. Everybody knows that it is pretty much harmless. As a child I was told that it was bad because dark-skinned people use it. In fact, that was the primary argument in Congress when it was prohibited. The idea was to protect "our children" from exposure to dark-skinned people (not just Negroes, but wet-backs, too). And people from India. All those terrible people.

And today the people in several states have figured out how to tax marijuana, so we hear many states now wanting that tax money.
  10. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well as with any other thing that is harmful to human consumption, it is all about money. Yes money is the reason why alcohol is legal. The need to make money means that human safety and well-being is often ignored and once money is being made then the people in charge will ignore the negative effects.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right, same thing with the cigarettes, no matter how we say that there is nothing good about it, it is still not illegal. All because of money that they value more than health and the environment.
  12. thomas pendrake

The primary reason that Prohibition was ended was because it led to the greatest crime wave in the history of the civilized world. The 18th amendment created organized crime in America. Prior to prohibition, organized crime was insignificant. Many great fortunes were made off moonshine and rum-running.
  13. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

This thread is a gem! Love the answers here. Lot's of insights. Our world is not a Utopia. Please don't forget that. It's not perfect. As long as we are aware of the menaces in our society, I think that we'll be fine. Banning something totally usually brings disastrous after effects.
  14. thomas pendrake

William Randolph Hearst not only controlled many of the major newspapers in the U.S., he controlled much of the pulp-wood forests used in the production of the paper (newsprint) used by the industry. He saw hemp as a major threat to his business, so he pushed to outlaw marijuana since he could not outlaw HEMP.
    At the same time Afrikaners sought to outlaw marijuana because the black South Africans they sought to suppress smoked pot so that they could work the long days they were forced to work without being over fatigued. One of the over-looked positive effects of pot is it's anti-fatigue effect. I don't see it mentioned much currently, but it is in the scientific literature and was used as a pro-pot argument back in "the sixties".
  15. Nadeshiko

Nadeshiko Member

I have no idea. It's a lot worse than Marijuana, yet marijuana is illegal in most American states.

But look at Scandinavia. Virtually every drug is legal there, yet they don't have an outburst of people killing themselves with drugs.

So I don't think that it shouldn't be illegal, I think that people should be more informed upon how to moderate it. Either that, or there should be a little more about handling your emotions on your own means rather than using alcohol - especially for those in high school. It's better to learn this early on than later in life.
  16. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I was always thinking about that.
    Abusing alcohol is as addictive as some other drugs.
    It should be illegal.

Personally I have been suffering because of my alcohol addicted parents.
    My childhood was **** because of alcohol and them abusing it.
    Too bad that it's not illegal. Maybe if it would be illegal there wouldn't be so many alcohol addicts.
  17. klb

klb Member

I have to say that at least in the USA the legality of alcohol usage seems secondary to the idea that drinking is "grown" and that Americans tend towards excess in all kinds of areas of life. Legality may make it seemingly more acceptable, but it is not the biggest problem in my opinion.
  18. nm1180

nm1180 Member

I used to argue this with people but I gave up. Alcohol kills more people than almost anything. Marijuana kills....maybe the people who screw up the drug deals? All you have to do to be able to get drunk and go driving around, is be 21. Oh, but dont do that, you could die! By the way, there's a new bar right there.
  19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I drink alcohol, but I don't smoke weed. I think it's because alcohol is more of a "social thing" and you could just hang out with your good old friends over a drink or two. It's more of a recreational substance/drug, I guess.
  20. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I think it has to do with accessibility. Alcohol can be distilled from virtually anything and it's been around since time immemorial. It's exceptionally difficult to ban something so deeply ingrained into the culture of many people from all corners of the world. There would be massive protests everywhere if something like this was ever to occur in a modern democratic country nowadays. I guess that's one way to look at it.