An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why is Alcohol Legal?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by sarahm, Sep 12, 2014.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Every motive here was shared, but the most important is: Alcohol can be a temporary solution for someone in need.
    That's important morally, not legally. In terms of legality: The government is looking to gain as much money as possible and alcohol is selling a lot so.. they gain a lot of cash by legalizing alcohol.
  2. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

What I don't understand is what separates alcohol and tobacco from substances like marijuana for example. I am not for the consumption of any addictive substances, that also includes marijuana, alcohol, and tobacco. However, I don't know why the prohibition of alcohol can make the alcohol industry to be run by criminals to the point where it endangers the society while the same thing cannot be said with marijuana. Sure, there are a lot of crimes and abuses associated with marijuana but it is not to the extent where what alcohol industry should be if prohibition was in effect.
  3. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Hi, Sarah! Well, as you said, marijuana is a narcotic and alcohol isn't. Marijuana has hallucinatory and soporific effect on humans while alcohol doesn't. Our liver has the ability to break down alcohol (to some extent) and consumed in moderation, alcohol can prevent cardiovascular problems too. Alcohol is dangerous too if binged and taken for prolonged periods.

However, marijuana is more harmful as it not only promotes substance dependence but incapacitates an individual as well. Also, a government allows alcohol as some means of recreation though some countries moot its total prohibition.
  4. Bluesman

Bluesman Member

Because making alcohol illegal is a road to nowhere. Years of fighting the War on Drugs showed that making something illegal and than enforcing that law with heavy police involvment ultimatly leads to even more deaths, more prisoners and more money spent. Not to mention the Prohibition. Criminalizing alcohol would bring opposite effect.
  5. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

This does not make sense, especially since the statistics do not lie. Alcohol is far more dangerous than many other substances. It has ripped apart and destroyed so many lives in many different ways.
  6. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Prohibition didn't work, and then came the light bulb moment when governments realized they could tax the sales of alcohol and make lots of money. The same will eventually be true of pot, in my opinion. I think it's just taken longer to occur, because drinking at this point is "socially acceptable," while pot smoking is still considered "doing drugs" (even though both fit the latter category).
  7. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I guess the only reason alcohol is legal is because its effects to human organism are not that strong and immediate as for example the ones of heroine or other hardcore drugs.
  8. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Why is it legal? Because the government finally found out how to tax it and earn a profit off of it. Simple as that, really. Another couple reasons? Because the ingredients to make said mixture are benign and they can be acquired en masse and reproduced for a cheaper cost then they can earn while selling, which means even more $$$. And we all know $$$ drives the world.

If not, why is legal? It's destroying lives, it's a drug, it can be easily abused, plenty of kids do it at an early age because they think it's 'cool'. It's really just a "Widely advertised Scourge"
  9. Rholm

Rholm Member

I believe alcohol is legal for no other reason than the fact that it has long been a cultural norm spanning back as far as human history itself. Alcohol has always been brewed, and consumed by humans and has been a normal thing for such a long time that I suppose no one has ever compared it to other drugs in the same light.
  10. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

That's very true, Rholm. I can see that as well. It just became 'so natural' that people dismissed it.
  11. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

It's legality seems to stem from the belief that people/individuals are smart enough to know not to inflict too excessive self harm. Of course, the taxes produced from alcohol or any other vice helps. Aside from that, alcohol is easier to regulate since production is highly visible unlike weed which can be grown inside some random guys basement where authorities cannot make sure it is safe to consume. Dealers may add all sort of stuff to give their costumers the best high even if it involves adding something inside a joint and calling it a special strain.
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

I think that marijuana has a long term effect than alcohol. If taken as required, alcohol can be broken down by our bodies and thereby completely digested with no effects left behind. It can take up to 7 years one having marijuana in their brains. It is easier to control ourselves while taking alcohol than marijuana.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Personally I don't think that alcohol is that dangerous, as long as, like everthibg, it's done in moderation. And that's the problem, people font know when they've had enough and continue to drink themselves into an early grave.

I know a lot of people that enjoy a few beers every now and again, myself included. If they banned alcohol, everybody would suffer, not just the alcoholic's.
  14. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Most likely because alcohol is accepted in some traditions, for example holidays or weddings or events that have to be celebrated. Even in Orthodox churches they give you wine. Alcohol will never be banned. My point is that it's safe to consume alcohol, as long as you do it with moderation.
  15. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

One point no one's really touched on is the fact that it IS legal may contribute to these stats. Ease of getting booze probably contributes to its widespread use and popularity and ranks it pretty high up there.
    I would LOVE to see these stats from a dry country or anywhere that has outlawed booze. I'm going to try to dig up some facts.
  16. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Make alcohol illegal, it will still be there. Make it legal, it will be there. What's the difference? Why is it legal?
    Because it is easier to regulate alcohol when it's legal. Banning it would only lead to more corrupt people.
  17. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Well, people can make booze (even beer and wine) in their basements as well. They did for years. The government gave up trying prohibition and decided to make a buck off it instead. They will eventually do the same with weed, as we are starting to see.

I'm not so sure making any kind of drug "illegal" is all that helpful. The war on drugs seems to be a losing battle. There must be a better way. I think education helps.
  18. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

The problem is too widespread and global to be stopped, and not one government has the courage to take a stand and be the first government to make it illegal… Is what the majority of people seem to think.

What they don't see is that if the government makes it illegal, it will be dirty. Bloody, even. Alcoholics will express their frustrations on their family, children or spouses and find a local alcohol dealer.

Drinking will become popular in local school communities, and whoever possesses such an illegal drug will become the object of admiration to the student body.

Boycotting will happen. Websites will be created in dedication to making alcohol legal again. Infographics will be crafted with “alcohol is good!” facts to convince the government to make it legal again, just as what they're doing right now with marijuana. Alcoholism will become mainstream, appearing in YouTube videos making fun of them. Forums will be created to discuss this delicate subject.

Alcohol shouldn't be legal, but if it becomes illegal, the world and media right now is not yet capable enough to handle it.
  19. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Just like Nergaahl pointed out very well, alcohol is legal mainly because we have a nonchalant perception upon it. Even though you may say that lately we've noticed people becoming more and more reticent toward alcohol, I would probably say it's not that influent because the death rate of alcohol consumption hasn't decreased in a while.

And I would also like to add that we mainly accept alcohol amongst us because governments get a lot of tax money from it, so banning it would be counterproductive, financially wise.