An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why is crack said to be worse than cocaine?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by blastguardgear, May 10, 2015.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I've done all three. You are correct, anything which is smoked causes a hit on the brain within eight seconds. Crack is much more intense, powerful and expensive in comparison. Cocaine and crack are very different to each other. Crack is basically smokeable cocaine whereas crystal meth is basically smokeable speed. Crystal meth is a class A drug in UK whereas speed is class B. However, both cocaine and crack are class A drugs.
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I think it's considered worse because it has a poorer quality, and it costs much less than actual cocaine. Every gangster can achieve it, and even some teenagers in some instances. But both are bad and deadly to you.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I guess that Crack is something that is not as pure and is something that hits your system immediately. I haven't heard about crack as much recently. I think meth has replaced the popularity of crack, so it is not something that you hear that much about anymore. I think anyone would be totally crazy to try either if you ask me, but that is me.
  4. Sparkster

Crack is more pure because the baking soda is used to wash it back (remove excess chemicals), therefore the cocaine is more potent. It also becomes smokeable when crystallized, allowing it to hit both the the brain and body quicker (almost instantly). The high is also much more intense, not just because it's being smoked, but also due to it's potency.
  5. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I think it is due to the fact that crack is smoked and therefore enters the bloodstream much quicker than cocaine which is snorted. Crack is also mixed with other chemicals and therefore more dangerous.
  6. Sparkster

As far as I am aware, the most dangerous part in regards to chemicals would be if the cocaine has been washed back with ammonia rather than sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). Aside from that, most of the other chemicals are washed out of it during preparation.
  7. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Most of the bloggers have stated why crack is worse then cocaine but I wanted to comment on the quickest route a drug can be absorbed into the body, which is intravenously, although that is not a popular way people ingest cocaine and most drugs prescribed are not smoked. When using the popular route crack is absorbed faster and the high last for a shorter period of time then powdered cocaine because it is smoked so it absorbed via the lungs into the bloodstream.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  8. Sparkster

In my experience, the high from crack is not quite as short-lived as the high from powdered cocaine, although both are generally quite short-lived. The high from crack is also a completely different feeling and is nothing like the high from powdered cocaine. It's also much more intense and much more addictive. The high generally lasts about the same time, it's just a very different feeling.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, it just seems that people get addicted to crack on the first hit and spend the rest of their life in some cases chasing that first high. It is sad really. Sometimes it seems generations of people get addicted to this substance and it rules their life. This is one of the things that are notable about crack. it is just one of the substances that are easy to obtain and so difficult to be free of.
  10. Sparkster

As a former crack user, I can totally relate to this. It is indeed so addictive that the very first hit can have a grasp on you virtually instantaneously. As soon as your first hit wears off, you find yourself intensely craving more. It's not just the high that you crave though, it's the taste. It's similar to the craving for tobacco like when you get the taste of it in your mouth and your body is saying "I want it", only the craving with crack is a million times more intense and is constant and persistent. It doesn't come and go, it just stays there. It's almost like you constantly crave being able to breathe it instead of air. That's how instantly addictive it is. Meth is more addictive in the long run but it doesn't give you that instant craving for more.
  11. Honest Abe

Honest Abe Member

It's cooked with all sorts of other chemicals, which bring out different qualities in the cocaine. It's highly addictive, more so than coke. And the possibility for dementia is increased due to all of the added chemicals.

Nobody is saying that coke is clean. It's fueled with gasoline and ammonia. But compared to crack, anything is cleaner.
  12. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

OK, I have used both and don't agree that crack is worse than powdered cocaine. Its all bad. Admittedly the high from smoking crack is faster and stronger than snorting powdered cocaine, but I have seen people get just as addicted just as fast to powdered cocaine as I have seen them get addicted to crack. Part of it depends on the purity of the powdered cocaine they are getting and the purity of the "crack" they are getting and the reason I put it in quotation marks is because where I live the stuff can hardly be called "crack" anymore, nor is the powdered cocaine containing very much cocaine.
    For me, the fact that the stuff is so cut to crap has been a Godsend. It finally got to the point where I just could not be bothered to do it. There was simply no point. It was complete garbage that made the user feel nothing much more than a little agitated. However when I was first introduced to powder cocaine about 35 years ago, it was way more pure and it was extremely addictive at least for me. When I was in my very early 20's a man who was much older than me got me started injecting it. If you ask me, that is on par with crack if not worse. When I was about 26, the boyfriend I had talked me into using cocaine again after I explained that I had, had a problem with it and was finally free of it. I had never tried crack at this point and didn't know that he had. I didn't find out until he slowly but surely introduced it to me, first by smoking powder cocaine in cigarettes and then by cooking the powder in ammonia and smoking it. We didn't even call it crack back then. Even so, the crack was not as powerful a rush as injecting it and I often thought of going back to that and eventually did, so please don't tell me that crack is more powerful that powdered cocaine. Both however, can kill you and I have had near death experiences with both types. I do not miss it at all, am glad I am free of it, would never in a million years suggest someone who hasn't tried it , do so. If you have not tried it yet, do yourself a favor and don't. I lost a lot of years that could have been better spent and caused my family a whole lot of pain and suffering they didn't deserve and could quite easily have ended up in the ground. So unless you have a serious death wish, don't do it. Period. Not powder or rock form, both are extremely addictive and I'm sick to death of people trying to ask which is worse. Anything that causes you problems in your life is bad. Period. I don't care if it is eating lollipops. If it is bad for you then it is the worst thing you could be doing to yourself.
  13. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

There was a documentary on drugs on (I believe?) the History Channel, or one of those networks, a few years ago, which went into the onset of crack cocaine and why it became popular in the early 80's. According to the documentary, cocaine was dropping in popularity and the drug dealers weren't making as much money off of it, so they came up with crack cocaine to reignite the use of the drug - which it obviously did - with a much stronger high than standard cocaine. But if I recall correctly, they further went on to explain that the "crack" sold on the streets these days may actually be much weaker than the crack cocaine that hit the streets when it first arrived. It wouldn't surprise me to be honest, perhaps folks have found various ways of crystallizing already cheap and heavily cut cocaine with even more additives. They may not be using the methods described above. It would make sense to me, because a few times when I was doing cocaine, we were sold crack rocks instead - and as desperate as we were to get a high, we tried crushing them up as best as we can and snorting them. The high sucked, and we essentially ingested most of the stuff (swallowing it), but even what little we were able to snort as a powder, didn't produce a strong high at all.
  14. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

It does not matter which hits the brain first, it is enough to make my skin crawl and my hair stand up! I pity anyone who has an addiction to this. So many treat it as casual and hide it so well, not realizing the damage they are doing. I have see someone young an fresh age in no time at all from doing these drugs. Not to even mention the damage that is done to them psychologically.
  15. KennedyBaby19

KennedyBaby19 Active Contributor

I used to think because crack was less pure, you get a very quick high(only lasting up to 20 minutes or so) so that makes you smoke more and more. That's why its worse, the high doesn't last long so you're smoking more to get high again and again.
    Loso likes this.
  16. Shabang

Shabang Member

Crack is the same as cocaine, its just been washed with ammonia or bicarbonate of soda to lower the burning temperature so it can be smoked, if cocaine powder had a lower burning temp that could be smoked. Crack is considered worse because purple who use it generally use heroin and other substances but its no worse on its own than coke, they both **** people's lives up. Personally I've seen more damage done to family and friends from cocaine powder/salts than I have from crack.
    Loso likes this.
  17. Fadbaguni

Fadbaguni Member

I have tried both types several times, and while powder cocaine had an effect , crack cocaine had zero effect. I know it was bona fide, as everyone in the room was getting very high using the same sample. My point is that it must affects everyone in different ways, or not at all.
  18. sickgirl

sickgirl Member

Crack cocaine is WAY more addictive than sniffing coke because the high is way more intense and if you can get good product; euphoric. The high does not last long, so a person has to keep chasing that feeling. The bad thing has that your never totally satisfied on crack. You'll always want more, and it's virtually impossible to "save some for the next day!" Crack goes into your bloodstream faster than sniffing coke. It's extremely addictive, trust me, I know!
    deanokat likes this.
  19. Janedoe00

Janedoe00 Member

It's disgusting and ruins your life. It does not discriminate. You can be a poor person or a great person. You first think your too smart for it..and can never get you. Then something bad happens in your life.. you experience pain..that you just want to go away.. just for one day.. stupid me feeling pain over my dog dieing.. decided to do it just once.. it made me not feel.. I laid in bed crying before I did it.. my dog was one year old.. it devastated me. I did it and I was an idiot. IF YOU ARE DOING IT.. LOCK YOURSELF IN YOUR HOUSE.. SLEEP..EAT.. STOP.. NOW ..
    deanokat likes this.
  20. sickgirl

sickgirl Member

Saying that “rich people use coke and poor people use crack” is simply not true. I have used crack with people like Doctors, lawyers, stock brokers, etc. Crack is also NOT cheap. You can buy a “dime,” which is equal to about two hits (if the dealer isn’t cheap..), or a “nickel,” which is one hit, or a “twenty,” which should be a few hits plus. Some dealers sell thirties and fifties, and you could also buy a 8 ball. The hits get smoked up pretty fast, and crack is highly addictive. Imagine how much a night of smoking it would cost!? It adds up pretty quickly. I’ve used plenty of cocaine as well, which is definitely not inexpensive. A good hit of crack will not keep you high for very long, and you’ll want more relatively fast. The high is very pleasurable and euphoric, in my opinion. It could also make a person feel very sexual. Crack does hit your system way faster than sniffing coke. It’s ALOT more powerful than sniffing coke as well! Believe me, I’ve done plenty of both. I’d tell anyone never to try it because it’s so psychologically addictive. Coke is too, but crack is definitely stronger and easier to get hooked on....
    deanokat likes this.