An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why Is It So Hard For Many Alcoholics To Make a Commitment To Fight Their Addiction?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've seen lots of people on impulse decide to beat fight their addiction. It could be because they screwed up a little and realizing that drinking made them do something they didn't want to, decide not to touch alcohol. However after a little while their enthusiasm fizzles out and they head straight back to where they previously were.

Any tips how someone like this can be helped? They are willing but . . .
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

With alcohol I think that's one of the main dangers, and a lot of people can stop drinking for a certain amount of time but they end up back on the bottle again.

The worst part is, is that when they stop drinking, they almost immediately notice the effects. They wake up without a headache or an hangover, their appetite returns, they just feel better about themselves in general. The craving for a beer though is hard to ignore, and often just the one turns into a lot more, and before they know it they're back in that cycle again.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Drinking is like food: feels good and fulfills emotional needs for the emotionally unstable and weak. Such as myself, hence I am now dealing with a sugar addiction. Don't remind me about the fact some homemade liquors here contain loads of sugar...

But if someone wants to he helped then there is hope, I'd advice anyone dealing with this to go to AA meetings. It feels much better after hearing the stories of struggle of other individuals dealing with the same thing :) It makes you feel less isolated and more motivated to come and share your success story after a while. It's like you start to feel like you are being held accountable by those people! It's great!
  4. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

It seem as if everywhere you turn there is alcohol staring you in the face, it is one of the most easily acquired substance so the willpower must be extremely strong to stay away from it.
  5. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

I don't think a lot of people realize they have an addiction, they don't classify themselves as alcoholics. When I was drinking daily I thought of it as fun or a way to relax. It never dawned on me that I needed alcohol to function. Alcohol is easy to acquire, like some people have mentioned, and its cheap. I used to buy a 40 OE for $1.25. I never realized I had a problem until it started to impact my life in a negative way like missing working because I was hung over. I knew I had a problem that I had to get control over but I never thought of myself as an alcoholic or having an addiction.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I always think this must be the hardest thing about staying sober. Alcohol is absolutely everywhere. I imagine that one's willpower must be tested several times a day. You can't even pick up some groceries without encountering alcohol.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The best thing to do is be persistent and find better things to do. I think that once a person forgives themselves for failing the first time, they can get back up and try until they get it right. You really have to deal with being without what your addicted to. Exercise, eating healthy, and being productive are just a few ways to take you're mind off of drinking. This really all takes persistence.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

If the person's resolve is not that strong, then he will never kick his alcoholism habit. I think that determination is the key to quitting, because if a person isn't determined to change, then nothing will happen.
  9. juno

juno Community Champion

Addiction is a dangerous thing. Once you are addicted, the alcohol takes over your life and controls you. That is why it is hard to stop even when you want to. There are a lot of chemicals at play here as well.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Probably because they just lack a bit of motivation, determination, and source of support. I believe all these things should go hand in hand in order for someone to beat their addictions successfully. Willingness is truly important, but it just doesn't end there. There is still a lot of factors to be considered.
  11. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

It's probably a combination of things, but I imagine one of the big factors is that nothing truly horrible has happened to jar them into reality. Sometimes it takes one big, violent push to get a person back on the right path. That's bad, too, 'cause that push might have some dire consequences for themselves, or for others. I'm talking car crashes, fights resulting in severe injuries, divorces... bad stuff. Hopefully they can be convinced of the truth of the matter before life steers them that far into the wrong lane.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

Yeah, I have a friend who does the same thing. Get's drunk, makes a big mess, gets really ashamed, and stops drinking for a couple of months. When he forgets all about it, get's drunk again and does the same exact thing. So he's just going around in circles. I used to do the same thing until I finally got it through my head that a drunk man is a naked man. That's why now I only drink alone at home on weekends.