An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why is it so hard to get help?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Shell, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Shell

Shell Member

My adult son is addicted to heroin, he finally decided to get clean but we are finding it difficult to get treatment. We searched for a doctor online, most posted didn't treat addiction, so why are they listed? After finding someone, he has to wait a week to be seen, one more week to possibly overdose. The office suggested going to a detox facility until he can be seen by the doctor. The facility that they recommended will not admit him until he is vomiting and experiencing diarrhea which he doesn't normally have when off of heroin. The other local facilities don't administer suboxone so we are limited as to where he will go. So, why is it so hard to get treatment when everytime you turn on the news they are saying that there is an opioid epidemic????
    lonewolves likes this.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Shell thank you for sharing. i'm sorry this is such a struggle. I agree that it shouldn't be so challenging! I'm glad your son wants to get treatment... I know it can be incredibly frustrating finding the right place for him. I know it's tough to find immediate treatment... do you think in the meantime he could reach out to a support group? counselor? i know that won't help with detox effects.... but it's some sort of support.

I' not sure why it's so hard... please let me know if anything changes for you... or if you have insight for others regarding finding treatment..
  3. Shell

Shell Member

Thank you, he is in a detox center and will follow up with a doctor to get his suboxone and refer him to a counselor.
    Dominica likes this.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Shell that's good news! thanks for letting us know!