An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why is marijuana portrayed positively in the media?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by here2help_27, Jan 3, 2016.

1. bellahpereira

bellahpereira Member

I wouldn't necessarily say that marijuana is positively portrayed in the media - it's mentioned in some music, but not so much so that I would say it's a concern towards younger generations. As for the medicinal qualities - there are cases wherein people use the oils to stop seizures, reduce nausea and vomiting during chemotherapy, improve appetite and many other uses. As for the hemp plant itself, it can be used to make paper and clothes. The plant is very useful and has caused less deaths than alcohol and other drugs. As far as dangerous drugs, or peer pressure, this is one of the least dangerous drugs.
  2. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I believe people use it mostly as a recreational substance. I don't think it's as dangerous as the cigarette. There are lots of stories about the negatives of marijuana, I am not saying that there may not be negatives about the herb, however, many people are just relating from hearsay. The greatest problem with marijuana may be that it may act on certain psychological ailments, therefore, people with these problems should stay away from the substance. Otherwise, where the evidence that the weed has had any great negative effects on the users? How can it be so addictive when most people have been able to stop smoking the substance at anytime that they may desire?
    bellahpereira likes this.
  3. DPowerz

DPowerz Member

I agree(with Adrianna), I think it puts the user in a hazy, sleepy state of consciousness. It's easier to control people who aren't aware of whats going on. If you examine closely, You can perceive the subterfuge behind this media push to glorify smoking weed and to make it seem as though everyone is doing it and should do it. For basically the same reason Zombies are so popular. To create a nation of mindless bowl sucking tube jockeys...........
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Negativity sells these days; there is the 'New Normal' and everyone is willing to be a part of it. The media is a body that do not mind compromising from time to time because they need to sell, they need to make money and name for their publication.

What matters most is what you and I believe. What is the moral we trust in and are willing and ready to pass to our friends, family and community? The little impact we make is enough to help our own niche.
  5. Mojo11

Mojo11 Member

I think that marijuana has always been considered by many people as natural and herbal, as opposed to the manufactured drugs, which might start out as plant-based, but are highly processed, usually with toxic chemicals. One of the big problems with that outlook is that in many cases nowadays, other drugs may have been added to the marijuana, and of course the user has no way of knowing that. The bottom line is that in the majority of states, marijuana is illegal. "Natural" and "harmless" or not, it just isn't worth it to me to do any drugs that could get me arrested.
  6. bellahpereira

bellahpereira Member

While I do agree that it puts people in a state of hazy and sleepy consciousness, I feel that I need to point out that that's only temporary. You feel that way for about 2-3 hours (depending on how much you do) and then you go back to being your normal self. Of course, for people that do smoke constantly, that hazy state lasts a lot longer because they are constantly smoking but for more recreational users, it's a mere 2 hours of relaxation before going back to reality. I respectfully disagree that the media is pushing it to create a nation of 'mindless bowl sucking tube jockeys'. If the media is pushing it at all, (IF being a key word) it's probably because the fight against it is finally coming to an end - just like the fight against alcohol did in the 1930s. People have begun to realize that it's their right to chose if they wish to smoke or not - just like it was their right if they wanted to drink or not. Personally, I smoke and every now and then and I don't feel that it makes me a zombie - if anything, smoking weed has allowed to me to see things differently and has made me more of a compassionate person than I was before. Just my personal experience.
  7. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I think that is alright because some people DO NOT enjoy being around smokers or the smoke itself because the smell is really distinctive to our noses and it might be unhealthy to some people, you never know what problems the person next to you might have and so that's a good way to avoid unecessary problems.
  8. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I immediately thought of the series I watch like Two and A Half Men, where they have smoked marijuana before. Its mainly used in a comedic sense because "stoners" can be funny if portrayed that way, for example they can show a person who is high running around like an idiot or saying silly things, its funny, that's why they use it.

With regards to it being used in music, I think rappers usually sing about "smoking a joint" because they can't come up with anything original and instead stick to the modern idea of what a rap song should involve, which is women, drugs and money.

I doubt directors and producers are ever attempting to promote the use of cannabis, they just use it as content because many people smoke weed or know others who do and can therefore relate to it as something funny or whatever it is in that context.
  9. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It's been proven by research that there are medicinal properties of marijuana. That isn't some thing that was made up by the media. It also has to do with the fact that a lot of people in the media are users themselves and know that all of the anti-marijuana propaganda is simply not true.
  10. ConorMcGregor

ConorMcGregor Member

It's not that people just claim that marijuana has medicinal use, it has been proven that it has medical uses for many different things. So why would we keep portraying something that is helping people in a falsely negative light. Most of the stigma and marijuana being illegal comes from a long time ago, and for the wrong reasons. We grow as human beings and we learn and understand things better. Just like blacks were portrayed in a negative light in the past (for no real reason) and now people have stigma against gay people. People will look back and think it's crazy that we treated marijuana as such a high classed narcotic for so long.
  11. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I would agree that the media hasn't exactly portrayed marijuana all that positively. Even when it is somewhat positive, it's usually just making fun of the whole "stoner" culture, which only makes us look bad. The only positive is that it gets portrayed as a non-dangerous drug. That is certainly a step forward than the old propaganda that told us it would ruin our lives.
  12. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

Let's get one thing clear, a lot of research is going on and it's prescribed for many medical uses and each country is taking initiative in the direction, as far as the recreational use is considered. It's one of the most efficient drug you can obtain with a high that lasts maybe for 2 to 3 hours and doesn't give you any hangover and the thing about it is, everyday new strains are produced by breeding it with other strains, Why wouldn't anyone like it?
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Marijuana does make people feel happier and perkier than usual, so no wonder people continue to use it. It's not that expensive as well. And naturally, artists will write a song about it since the effect of weed inspires them.
  14. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

In Colorado, it is portrayed positively but in other places such as my home, it is negative. I feel like the media is slowly changing to the positive side though. There has been some promising evidence that CBD can combat against cancer cells and would be very beneficial for relieving stress as well compared to THC.
  15. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

I can't totally agree with you. Marijuana is being positively portrayed on the internet, but in Television, for example there's still a lot of people who see it as a "bad drug" and fight against it. The point is, we're still learning how to deal with it, but the new studies being made are turning us over, and we're still that it's just as bad as alcohol, for example.