An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

WHY IS MARY J THE QUEEN OF HERBS?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Adrianna, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Why is Mary J the queen of herbs?
    Why has marijuana been put on such a pedestal? There are plenty of completely legal in every state herbs to smoke. There’s even a legal herbal root that gives a similar effect to alcohol that you can work or drive a car with. There’s a couple of them.
  2. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

It's easy to answer to this one: the hype and the human nature's response to it. It's like a saying I've heard once: "Tell someone this and he will do that." It means that no matter how much you struggle to convince someone of something, he will do the opposite. It happens here as well: Tell someone to quit smoking marijuana and he'll do it more. The best and shortest explanation one could give you.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think weed has just been overhyped, that's why it is glorified because it is still illegal in some states. I think once the ban has been lifted if ever that happens, then people will be less interested because it's not illegal anymore, and you can get it freely.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not aware that marijuana has that name or coined with that name. Maybe only a popular name on those countries or states that it was legal. Yes maybe it was only being commercialized by dealers or a hype.
  5. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I'm not sure if it's on a pedestal exactly, but I see how one might say that. I think part of the issue is The Streisand Effect--trying to stifle something will only create more demand or buzz about it. Also, it's recognized as mostly harmless and as having actual benefits, but yet it still illegal, so I think it's seen as unjust. So maybe part of it is people want to fight for the "underdog".
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think the reason it's been put on a pedestal is because of the misinformation about it. Since marijuana's medicinal properties have been over looked for so long it took a lot of explaining facts to prove it could be beneficial. Then when the side effects to marijuana was compared to other drugs and alcohol it had to be proven that it was not the same as narcotics. I think the reason it seemed to be put on a pedestal is because of the misunderstanding about it and myths surrounding it that weren't facts. But There are a lot of herbs out there that are beneficial to our health, some in the form of tea.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I noticed that with people a long time ago. Its pretty dumb. Some people its so exact they are like a robot. I've heard people a million times struggling with someone who is doing something so wrong. The other person just keeps doing it and doing it, and so on. Lol Its like without fail kind of thing. You kind of have to let a person see it for what it is on their own.
    Its just better to let someone decide on their own. My conclusion with that is that they don't like to be told what to do. Its clearly a self control issue or the person telling them literally can't stop demanding things of other people. Having an open mind and taking suggestions from other people is fine. I think it all has to do with the execution of what's being said as to how it will be received. Understanding how that person thinks and how to get around any obstacle.
    Generally people should make their own decisions regardless of what other people think. If they don't, their just robots waiting for someone to tell them what to do. You are right though. The ones that when you say its black they say no its white. I don't think I have a word for it other then to say they are not the sharpest tool in the shed. Part of being intelligent is to be able to ponder another point of view. Not to necessarily completely agree but to explore the possibility. "I see what you are saying or that's interesting."
  8. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I think calling it an herb is ridiculous and misleading. I also think the legality of smoking anything is beside the point. Nothing good ever comes from recreational drug use.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, I think it is something that a lot of people feel comfortable with...and many people use because it doesn;t often ohave deadly consequences like many of the other drugs. It also medicinal benefiits...As long as those who use aren't in a vehicle or don't move on to harder drugs,,,I don't necessarily have a problem with it, although like any other drug it can be abused..and people can get addicted...so if you have that type of personality, best to avoid it.
  10. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

@kgord Are you kidding me? So you subscribe to the myth of the addictive personality? What I mean is that addiction has a physical and chemically observable component in the brain that can be monitored via MRI. Your personality isn't what is going to determine if an addictive substance will be addictive. The usage, amount, and frequency of usage determines that along with the physiology of the user. Addiction medical condition. It is a disease with concrete causes like any other. Marijuana is addictive. Addictive drugs should never be used for recreational purposes period. Get high and get behind the wheel. After you wreck your car or hurt somebody else in the process go ahead and try to tell me that marijuana isn't as bad as harder drugs. I know people that it has happened to.