An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why isn't prescription drug use taken as seriously?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by k9cb, Jul 13, 2015.

1. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

That's excellent advice, and something that never occurred to me. I'm not surprised that a doctor would be surprised, as they deal with a lot of drug-seekers and are wary of that type of behavior (well some aren't wary at all, others overly so). On the other hand, you'd think a doctor with the goal of helping a patient would go for these alternatives first rather than giving their patient an addictive substance, even if it is for their benefit.

Kudos to your brother to recognize a problem early. What type of alternative did they give him, if you don't mind me asking?
  2. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

I've heard that people on reservations often have problems with substance abuse, especially alcohol (because of certain genetic factors). It's really a shame.

That makes me so angry that they'd do that to old people. I'm actually familiar with similar things happening to certain older people I know.

What kind of work did you do on the reservation? Was it related to social work or substance abuse, or totally unrelated?
  3. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Yeah, it was a surprising question, to say the least. I honestly don't remember what they gave him, but I'll ask my mom and see if she remembers.
  4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

On the third door already? That is horrible making so much property damage for pain med! Is this how far an addiction can take you?
  5. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I really did not know that its sort of swept under the rug. I thought people took this serious. I know its serious to me. This is never something that should not be taken serious. I mean just as many people are addicted to taking pain killers as people on cocain.
  6. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

I think that it is mostly because it is legally distributed and sold at retailers (e.g. Walgreens). It should definitely be taken as seriously as other drugs. Prescription drugs can have the same effects on people as regular drugs. Without a control on prescription drugs, more lives are in danger. More people should be aware of the danger that prescription drugs can impose.
  7. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I guess people think that since it is legal they will have a harder time getting caught versus being in pocession of illegal drugs. But that doesn't make the abuse of prescription ok. You will harm yourself in the long run.
  8. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

Prescription drug taking has not been take so serious yet because most people do have not realized the dangers that they can cause. Most people only think that they could help them with their problem but most do not know that most could do some bad things to them. Another thing that could happen is that the person could become an addict to their drugs so it could turn out bad.
  9. Mr.B

Mr.B Member

I have felt the same way for years about prescription drugs. Its like people are just now finding out about them. But, really its all about the money. These huge corporations dont care that so many peoples lives have been ruined by their drugs. These corporations also help fund campaigns and elections. To me, I only see this problem getting worse and worse until something is done about it. You dont even have to have an addictive personality to get hooked on them. All you have to do is get hurt and get prescribed a few weeks worth and it could ruin your life.
  10. Very simply: because big pharma makes money off of it and it's "legal". It's absolutely ridiculous and terrifying, but that's the ultimate truth there.
  11. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

I think in some cases it is a big pharma/doctor money case but sometimes as in my friends case where he was in a very bad car accident and broke his back and started out on one pain medication and it just wasn't enough and he needed more to just be able to function in life until one day he was taking so much morphine, I swear it was enough to kill an elephant. But this guy needed it every single day of his life to tolerate the amount of pain he was in just to exist. It was so very sad to see how he had to live his life. I sometimes wonder how he is doing.
  12. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

At times Doctors give prescriptions that are not suitable for one's condition. I have had instances where a Doctor prescribed such strong medicine for a condition that did not warrant that. These drugs can get one addicted over long periods of use. It is important to speak to your Doctor about any pain drug that does not yeild results over a period of time.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Doctors nowadays are very greedy (most of them) and that's why they support the patients' drug addiction. Also, it seems not to be taken so seriously because it doesn't involve "horrifying"drugs such as meth, heroin etc. These are the two main factors, in my opinion.