An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why keep Prescribing It?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Waynefire, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

I know that Adderall has some addictive principles, but my question is they are giving this medication to kids to help them control their ADD. However, if it is such a powerfully addictive medication, then why are they still prescribing it to the kids who are just going to fall deeper into the addiction and not be able to break it for years to come?
  2. Charity

Charity Member

I feel that they are going to keep prescribing it because it is making big pharm to much money. If you are making billions off of a drug, you will want to keep it around as well. However, I think it will be stopped at some point because eventually lawsuits or other issues will catch up with the drugs.
  3. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I agree with Charity. For this big pharmaceutical companies it is all about making their money and less about the effects that this drug has on anybody! I am not sure how many people actually realize how damaging this drug is so I don't know if people are actually getting lawsuits out or even attempting to fight them. I do hope that it's prescription gets nipped in the head.
  4. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well the drug companies are in the business of making money and if they can get persons addicted to a drug then it means more money for them. These drugs only treat the symptoms of a problem while the problem still exists. Well that is pharmaceutical drugs for you. All about the money and not curing a problem.
  5. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

Well when ah drug becomes popular it really helps to bring the company to another level. If your drug gains that kind of popularity then you really become ah major player so why stop.
  6. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Alright, well...

Money and pharmaceutical conspiracies and theories aside....

The drug DOES work. Bottom line, it helps a lot of people. Yes, it can be very addictive, but for many people who are addicted to it, this particular side effect is far better than what they have to deal with without the medication.

And as for kids specifically, I think there's a lot of pressure from parents to have medication prescribed when they don't know how to deal with their kids without it.
  7. TinVanMan

TinVanMan Member

It seems like it's the same reason that doctors prescribe other potentially addictive drugs: they believe the benefits outweigh the risks. I don't agree in the case of adderall. It is a drug that handles a syndrome that there are many other ways to handle. Also, I think you bring up an interesting point that once they are addicted to the drug they become dependent on it. This means that they have to have it or they will get much worse when they try to stop. With some drugs, and diseases, I can understand how the risk outweighs the benefits, but not with this one.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah of course there is an addiction to it. ADD is an induced condition to begin with. Its just so wrong for them to give it to children and parents are clueless. They think that it makes sense to just shove pills down their throat. This TV show tonight the guy is complaining to the other guy about how he is rotting his children from the inside out with the junk he feeds them. Its true that's what "some" people are doing. They buy crap for their kids and wonder why they act like they do.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

They should never subscribe this garbage to children. If something can be harmful to your children you shouldn't give it to them. There are probably a lot of natural and safe alternatives to ADD. It's probably all about money. You have to be careful about what you put into your kids body.
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

well, these drugs can be helpful when prescribed for the right reasons, but ADD is kind of a garbage diagnosis that kids get labeled with when they fail to prescribe to society's norms. Some kids who are anxious or who are active in general get prescribed these meds when they probably are not necessary.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not that knowledgeable about this drug but maybe it is still prescribed and people still buying it because it is effective. There are drugs with side effects or all drugs have side effects but still being used because it works. Aside from the reason that pharmacy companies are earning money from those drugs.
  12. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

I think that a lot of people in this thread don't have medical knowledge, nor understand Adderall properly. It's true that it may have some side effects, but if it wasn't helpful, if there weren't more advantages than disadvantages, then it wouldn't have been anymore on the market.

Medical school is extremely hard. Medics don't spend their lives trying to rip you off, honestly, and they know at any moment more than anyone who doesn't have medical/pharmaceutical background.

If anyone is not satisfied of their prescription, it's their right to ask for something else, after all.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

While I don't agree with prescribing such powerful medication to children, truth is that Adderall is not made for people to get addicted to it. In fact, it helps a lot of them get back on their feet. And, after all, that's what doctors have to do -- prescribe pills for the patient's condition. A small percentage of them are corrupt, but most of them are not. They only to what they know to.
  14. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Some people question the existence of ADD as an actual medical condition in and of itself. There has been a suggestion that medics "diagnose" ADD just so that they can prescribe Adderall and its analogues to keep the Big Pharma money heading their way.

Personally, I don't know. ADD does appear to be a newly invented disease - I mean, previous generations never needed this much medication did they? Food for thought, perhaps...
  15. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Maybe because there in not an equally effective alternative drug. I am not an expert, but this explanation seems quite logical to me.
  16. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that this is what works in some people and also the doctors give this as this is what they give to the patient and in some cases, it does not work and leads to addiction which can take years or a whole life to get away from the drug. and also, it can take the person a while to try and stop taking this medication. It is interesting to see what happens when people take this medication and have known some who have been using this for a long time, and did struggle with it and turned to some herbal medicine as this was addictive for them and costing them money. I hope the governments do more to regulate this and also the medicine can make the person to get addicted to the medicine which can make them use the drug every day.
  17. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I have always wondered why they continue to prescribe it as well.
  18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I feeel this is all about; all the money that pharmaceutical laboratories are making with this drug, will keep them not just manufacturing it, but encourage the prescriptions among the medical community.

To sad for the side-effects and addiction it produces.
  19. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

A lot of people claim that so-called "big pharma" is behind the increase in prescription drugs being routinely administered to children with diseases that previously weren't considered "diseases". I have a lot of sympathy for this argument, and there's no doubt that financial incentives drive physician decisions more than we'd liek to believe. It's a big problem, and not one so easily solved.
  20. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I have always been kind of torn on the whole ADD/Adderall topic. It is certainly a powerful drug, and getting children hooked on it really does seem dangerous. That said, I have seen some pretty sever cases of ADD in my line of work, and while I still think it is overdiagnosed, there are some children who need help staying focused.