An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why keep Prescribing It?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Waynefire, Feb 13, 2015.

1. As someone who struggles with adult ADHD, I can't imagine a life without it. It allows me to function as a human, and reduces my impulsive behaviors (which, trust me, is a very VERY good thing!) I probably would not have graduated from college, and I know for a fact I would never get a steady job had it not been for this drug.

HOWEVER, the fact that, somewhere, a 7 year old kid is probably taking the same amount as me is ridiculous. I think kids are getting diagnosed younger and younger, and at 7 years old, how can you tell the difference between being a kid and ADHD? We're going to turn these kids into drug zombies, they're brains aren't even close to being fully developed, why mess with it's hormones so early?
  2. johnstatler14

johnstatler14 Member

I don't think they need to prescribe it nearly as much as they do. My source? I was prescribed Adderall, and it's what skyrocketed me into a big drug problem, ultimately leading to my arrest. Back in high school, I was prescribed Adderall, and then I started abusing it, which led to me wanting something of a downer, to go to sleep, which got me hooked on benzos, then pain pills, etc. I would have been better off without Adderall.
  3. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I have always wondered this as well.