An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why some alcoholics turn violent

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rosyrain, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have a friend whose husband can not handle his alcohol. When he drinks he becomes violent and my friend told him if he touches booze again, they are over. What exactly causes a person to get violent when they drink as opposed to someone who does not?
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well I think alcohol exaggerates the effects of whatever is there. Since it lessens inhibitions, it may give the individual "permission" in effect to be violent. Then of course they can blame it all on the alcohol. Some people just become very dark under the effects of alcohol to be sure. Oftentimes, they don't tend to be rational and their lower impulses take over.
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

Alcohol inhibits our ability to think straight, so if someone provokes us we don't really have the ability to think about the consequences while under the influence. We tend to be quick to react because the alcohol has lowered all reservations. There is a study that states alcohol lowers anxiety and the same anxiety is what usually protects us in normal situations to tell us to avoid dangerous situations. With alcohol that anxiety is gone and we don't avoid the dangerous situation.
  4. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I think in a lot of cases it's just built up inside them. Once they drink it burst out as if they have no control over it. I use to be that way, and I know plenty more that are like that as well. Like the old saying a sober man's thoughts is a drunk man's words. Very sad, and very mad at the same time add booze you have a monster.
    henry likes this.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

As some others have already stated, I think it's ultimately an inhibition killer - consequences of actions aren't considered, so it's why a lot of the time people will be violent, overly amorous, rude, super over the top cheerful and happy - it really depends on the individual and what else is going on with them and their life, I think.
  6. Rosyrain

I always wondered if people like this have underlying anger issues anyhow and alcohol just brings these issues out worse in those people. I have never been violent after drinking, just get sad sometimes.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also seen some who become violent when drunk. I think maybe that is because they become braver or lost shame when drunk and so, they do things like being violent. Or they have some feelings being kept that they cannot control showing when drunk.
  8. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Looks like he's got anger issues and it heightens when he drinks. I don't think it's because of Alcohol, I mean if he fix his anger issues, it'll be gone for good.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've heard it said that people who suppress anger when they are sober tend to be violent when they are drunk. @OP, maybe your friend's husband is this sort of person. He's got some frustrations, keeps them bottled up inside and when he drinks it all erupts into violence.

Ask your friend to coax her the husband to talk more about what makes him unhappy when he's sober. It could help.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It's probably because when a person is drunk, he/she couldn't think straight. It's just one of the side effects of alcohol; it somehow makes you delusional and prone to anger/violence.
  11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Your friend's husband probably uses alcohol to cope with his problems. After he gets drunk he can't think straight anymore and his issues and fears come outside. He then lashes at her because he's frustrated. In a relationship you're supposed to share every problem with your significant other, I don't know why this guy doesn't do that.
  12. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It is hard to deal with somebody like that and she shouldn't have to. If he is going to act that way then he needs to stay away from the alcohol. What is the purpose of having a drink if you can't handle it or you become violent? Why would a person want to drink when they know the effect it is going to have on them? It makes no sense to me. He clearly has a lot of anger issues and he is using the alcohol as an excuse to act like an idiot. I hope she sticks to her word because it won't get better. It will only get worse each time he drinks! I feel for her.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Most people get violent when drunk because they are unable to think straight anymore and they get more daring. In most cases they aren't even aware of what they do. Also, some individuals are more prone to getting angry and becoming violent. It is a sad situation, and the person in cause should be explained what they are doing and how much pain they cause to their loves ones. Then seek professional help if needed.
  14. Rosyrain

My friend actually madame that her husband seek out a priest to discuss his issues with, and alcohol is now off limits in their home. It really is a sad situation when people can't control themselves, and even worse that they can't remember they behaved that way.
  15. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Alcohol lowers inhibitions. Some people have more anger than others, when they drink it shows more because they are not able to control this emotion like they do when they are sober. This makes someone who never had this problem at risk when suppressing anger in everyday life. Sometimes people can get rid of this problem with anger management and for some it's a problem that won't go away. As a general rule it's best to avoid alcohol completely when you are dealing with anger in daily life. Someone that gets angry while drinking should avoid it completely. I'm glad your friend made that ultimatum, dealing with anger while intoxicated is a very unpleasant experience.
  16. moreno58

moreno58 Active Contributor

That is a really good question, one that I have asked often myself. I have a brother that is like that and it is mainly when he drinks whiskey.
  17. henry

henry Community Champion

Like someone said already, I think it's just repressed frustrations and emotions what makes a drunk turn violent. Remember that most, if not all, of us drink to forget our problems. I had a friend who was kind of quiet and when he spoke, it was kind of soft. But when he had a few, he suddenly became verbally aggressive, and everything seemed to piss him off. So, I just avoided drinking with him and everything was ok.
  18. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that stress can cause this and also a person can be drinking and getting violent which can cause a person, to make wrong choices in the process and not, think straight as well which is sad in most cases. It is sad when some people react badly when drunk and may say things or do things, which can cause them to say things which are not good and hurt others as well in the process. I reckon that it is interesting to see what alcohol can turn a person into and also need to get the help they need as, it can take time to solve the issues which can affect them.
  19. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

The effects of alcohol on everyone can change and vary, over time, and even day to day and depend on many factors. An agressive or violent drinker may be surpressing a lot of anger or frustration, or they may be a more deep-seated reason for it. Your friends partner may not be a problem drinker, but if drinking causes problems for his relationship, then it is a problem. I would recommend a support group so that he can examine why he's getting aggressive and develop tools to help him deal with his anger. Theres a social stigma attached to AA and other groups, but there were several problem-drinkers in similar situations at my AA group. They were encouraged to discuss their thought processes during angry bouts of drinking and examine what caused them to act like this.
  20. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

My husband's friends become confident, talkative and also violent when drunk. I think it's a combination of the alcohol itself which removes all inhibitions and then, some roots of violence within the person. I mean, some people become really quiet when they're drunk already while others tend to become aggressive. So the personality and alcohol tolerance of a person has a say in it.