An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why Take While Hungry

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by 6up, May 10, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

One must eat first before taking alcohol. While helping an addicted friend, their is a possibility they will never change their habits immediately. It is good to outline the benefits of eating a balanced diet. If one takes alcohol while hungry, their bodies becomes weak since they have not eaten to supply the body with the required energy.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'd say that's one of the main reasons that people get as drunk as they do. If you go out drinking on an empty stomach then the alcohol will affect you a lot more and also a lot quicker than it would normally.
  3. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Thanks for this tip. I didn't know this until today. This is probably why some have some problems with their digestive sytem when dealing with alcohol, they think it's the other way around.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The food in your stomach actually absorbs the alcohol. So that means the chances of you getting sick is less and you can drink more.
  5. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I've heard that a full stomach allows for a slower alcohol absorption rate. Wouldn't that mean that you'd just get slightly less drunk for a longer time?
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

When I used to drink alcohol on a daily basis, I'd drink it on empty stomach and not feel anything whatsoever, but I do hear of people deliberately eating something before drinking. I had personally never experienced this specific problem, but I think there are some side effects to my behavior, because now my stomach hurts a lot if I even attempt to try any drink more alcoholised than beer. So, yeah, don't do this.
  7. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Echoing what others have said, having a full stomach helps with digesting alcohol properly, that is it won't affect your body as much Plus, it's not advisable to drink while hungry, due to the adverse side effects it can cause (increased drunkenness, burning sensation, etc.). Moreover, alcohol is slightly acidic, which could damage the stomach lining if there's no food in it. Always have a balanced diet, and that goes the same with alcohol consumption.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

When someone is dependent on alcohol, it usually takes precedence over food so it's no surprise that so many people drink on an empty stomach. It's definitely best not to though - I have paid the price for doing this many times.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

We all know that drinking with an empty stomach gets you drunk a lot faster. I still drink on weekends, and I usually only have lunch and skip supper just to get drunker, because I always start drinking from 5 to 6 in the afternoon. If I'm going out, that's another story. I eat a lot just to keep from getting drunk in public.