An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why versus Why Not?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kassie1234, Sep 9, 2015.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For a looooong time (yes, the dragged out loooooong was necessary!) I often thought to myself WHY would I want to be sober?

I thought to myself how would I have fun? Wouldn't I be boring? How would I socialize without a drink (or two, or ten...) consumed? I was that uncomfortable just being me that I never understood how great sober life is.

These days I've changed my mindset. Once I started thinking in terms of "why not!" rather than "why?" when it came to sobriety, it was so much easier to embrace.

Why not wake up on a Sunday morning refreshed and invigorated, without nasty hangovers and regrets?
    Why not have all that extra money in my bank account?
    Why not face my emotions head on, rather than hiding them with alcohol?
    Why not let people embrace me for me (shyness and quirkiness included!) rather than covering up who I really am?

A mindset change really does work wonders!

[​IMG]
    deanokat likes this.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's absolutely a good mindset to have. And yes, instead of asking yourself why you should get sober, ask yourself instead, "Why not?" I believe that's more effective because it gives you a bit of a choice, instead of the question "why?" which sounds more forcible to me.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I love your new outlook on life. Your words will really help and inspire those suffering through their recovery. I am glad you were able to turn your life around and to alter your thinking though process. I have to agree with you..."Why Not?" Two words that can truly change your life forever!
    deanokat and kassie1234 like this.
  4. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm really glad that you have changed your mind, and thank you for posting this, it's really inspiring!
    We all should think this way, a lot of us are missing really good things in life just because we're too worried about getting out of our comfort zone, we need to try new different but mostly positive things to grow up even if it's just a little as human beings.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. kassie1234

It really does still amaze me how much mindset impacts me. I guess when I let myself be negative it's pretty easy to just let myself wallow in that negativity and make bad decisions. When I'm positive and make good decisions, that attitude really does just seem to radiate into all areas of my life! :)
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I like your thread here. I am much more productive when I am sober and have a lot going on in my life that requires me to be thinking clearly. As long as I am staying busy and accomplishing goals, it is much easier to remain sober. It is when boredom sets in that I think about having a drink.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. kassie1234

I absolutely hear you about having goals and accomplishing things. It does wonders for my self esteem and my overall headspace - it's a wonderful thing!
    deanokat likes this.
  8. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Thanks for the great post, @kassie1234. Along the same lines, I frequently tell people who struggle with alcohol or drugs to make a list of the pros and cons of using. Needless to say, there aren't a whole lot of pros for continuing to use drugs or alcohol. And the list of cons is usually verrrry loooong. Sometimes it's almost too simple if we just stop and think about it.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  9. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I completely agree with and love this post. This is so awesome. I always have wondered why people would not consider the why nots of drinking. They outweigh the whys completely.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. kassie1234

Yes - those too simple answers are the ones we often ponder for too long! It's almost the logic of "surely it's a trick, it can't be that simple, right?"

Pros and cons lists are great. I use them in many areas of life when I'm trying to make important decisions!
    deanokat likes this.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

True, that is quite inspiring and it does make one think sensibly about the pros and cons of being an addict. The pros definitely outweigh the cons, right? So why not try to be clean and sober today for a better quality of life?
    deanokat likes this.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

What you said only proves how powerful the mind is. If you can overcome any why, then you're sure to overcome any how. As human beings, we should make the most out of our will. The more we're able to take control of ourselves, the better we're able to face our problems.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

A lot of the time an addict will know all the reasons why hmthey shouldn't have another hit, or have another drink, and they know that what they are doing is destroying themselves but because of the addiction they can't stop themselves from doing it...just one more time.

Having a list of pro's and con's is one thing, the trick is to learn how to adjust your mentality and take notice of the con's and stop yourself from ignoring them.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  14. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

That's the problem with a lot of people! They think they won't be able to have fun, won't be able to socialize, won't be able to be liked by other people, etc. This is very common. That's how I was, I thought I couldn't function let alone socialize without being high. But they're just lies. Once we realize that everything becomes clear.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  15. kassie1234

I feel like a lot of addicts get into that mindset. I never thought I'd be fun or social without drinking because I'd used it as a fallback for so long. By nature I would say I am pretty shy and quiet when I'm meeting new people, and drinking made me feel like I was a social butterfly - but honestly, it was all a front, and more often than not I would go so overboard with drinking that I'd be sick and make a big fool of myself. These days it's nice not having to worry about those sort of things - I feel a lot more confident in my own skin!
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Good one. The only thing I ever thought was why do I want this headache. The hang over headaches can be brutal and that feeling in your stomach when you had too much. What for? Lol
    It is interesting I never thought about it that way. Why would anyone want to be sober? you say. Well we know why we like to be drunk. Sober and feeling good. I guess for me the hangover felt worse than anything.