An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why We Created the DrugAbuse.com Community

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Joseph, Oct 1, 2014.

1. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

I must say that this forum is really helping lots of people. Here people feel free to open their hearts and let out the darkest secrets about addiction and consequences of drug abuse. I also love giving advice to people who have suffered the same problems as I. Thank you so much.
    Joseph and deanokat like this.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think it is great to have an open, anonymous, non judgmental community where people can share their stories and their concerns about substance abuse. Sometimes all someone has to do is to take that first step and this community makes it easy for people to do so. This is one of the benefits of the substance abuse community in my opinion.
  3. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Yes I want to thank everyone hear for there support. When Im lonely or having a bad day i get on here and read post and post things myself. This is one of many tools i use to stay clean off Heroin and other substances.
  4. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

Thank you admin for this great community, once I login I become really happy because I can see that people still cares about each other, people are always sharing their stories and trying to support others, I think your goal is reached now :)
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@ellyjude, @kgord, @pstrong1969, and @Jamesbonner...

Thank you all for the kind words! I'm so glad that you've all gotten positive things out of this community. Please know, too, that YOU are all a big part of why this community is great. So keep coming back, sharing, and helping out others. There is definitely strength in numbers!!

Peace and positive vibes to all of you! :)
  6. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

Hi--I'm super new here so bear with me. The only thing I'm not new at is how it feels to struggle with addictions. I've been an on again, off again user since I was in my teens and I've truly seen the "dark side of the moon." It was so bad at one point in my life that I would go to bed and ask God to please let me go in my sleep cause I was too cowardly to take my own life. God is obviously smarter than that though cause I'm still here today and not using.....today. This looks like a great place for people to share their trials and their successes both. I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say.
  7. deanokat

@JayLyn... Welcome to our community and thanks for sharing.

This is indeed a great place for people to share and find support. I'm glad you found us. And congratulations on being clean today.

Love, hugs, and hope to you.
  8. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Iam glad for sites like this. It let's me know that people are not alone in their problems. Out there somewhere, some cares to help you out. I hope this site continues to reach more people and have them connect with each other. Isn't that what being human is all about?
    Joseph, greybird29 and deanokat like this.
  9. deanokat

Right on, @Jasmine2015! :)
  10. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

Hi best wishes to all, thank you for the warm welcome. I am a newbie here, pleased to join your community. We owned a bar for over twenty years and certainly witnessed a massive amount of alcohol and drug abuse. My daughter is a recovering addict however everyday is a challenge. Many of her “friends” and folks she used to hang out with have died from suicide or over dose; each one has an effect on her. I am looking forward to sharing and learning with others.
  11. deanokat

@greybird29... Welcome to our community and thanks for sharing with us. I'm the father of a son who's in recovery, so I can totally relate to your post. I'm looking forward to seeing you share more with us here. :)
    Joseph and greybird29 like this.
  12. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

@greybird29 welcome! I'm fairly new to the community too. I hope your daughter gets through the hardships of recovery. Try support her as much as you can and everything will be okay! It's sad hearing about the loss of her friends lives. Drug abuse is a horrible thing. It's some of the darkest moments a person can experience...
    I wish you both well. Everyone here will be willing to listen and offer advice if you ever need it!
    Joseph, greybird29 and deanokat like this.

13. Hello, I am new here. I am thankful finding this forum a big help for me and for others. I've been there before and now I really want to help others by stating my experiences the day on how I hooked up and the day I finally decided to stop drug addiction. I will be reading all the posts and try to state my ideas and my past experiences here and I hope readers will get lessons from what I have experienced 12 years ago. All I can say is that " we were born without drugs, cigarette, alcohol and all the addictive vices besides us, if we we were badly hooked by all that stuff, just simply think that we can manage to live our life without using drugs, alcohol and cigarettes because we are not born for addiction.
  14. You know I am glad that you really accept what you've been experiencing right now, dealing with addiction or depression and anxiety. It will help a lot if we admit our weaknesses and confess it, somehow it is a positive sign of inner healing and deliverance. praying for your recovery from depression and anxiety.
  15. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

Its great that the internet is utilised for such positive and noble causes. The treating of people with addiction issues as criminals in the courts, and in the media is an outdated and heartless concept. To me its akin to mocking someone in a wheelchair for their inability to use their legs. Only with education and information-sharing can we get the message out there that people with any addiction issues, are suffering greatly and the vast, vast majority have no criminal tendencies what-so-ever if we exclude their possible possession of controlled substances. With support and help people can get themselves off of the most dangerously addictive substances in society, with more examples of this happening, and those examples being help up to the general public as an example of how to rid society of these problems, we can gradually help to turn the tide of indifference shown by many members of society towards addicts.
    Joseph likes this.
  16. deanokat

@rochellepicart... Welcome to our community and thanks so much for sharing. I'm so glad that you were able to find your way out of addiction. Your experiences will truly be valuable to everyone, so I hope you visit many threads and weigh in often. Reals stories of recovery from real people are so incredibly helpful to those who are struggling. Thanks again for being here. :)
    Joseph likes this.
  17. deanokat

@Steve Dawson... Thanks for this post and for your positive words. The more we talk about addiction, the more chances we have of educating those who are still stuck in the old, stereotypical beliefs. Every time we share, we chip away a little bit more at the stigma. And that stigma is such a huge road block for so many things: people asking for help, politicians recognizing that addiction is a real issue, etc. Thanks for being here, my friend.
    Steve Dawson and Joseph like this.
  18. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Although I've been with this forum for a while now, I've never quite looked at this thread—and I think that it's wonderful how this community is one that doesn't judge, listens, and offers very helpful advice to those who are dealing with drugs in their lives right now.
    And you know what's really interesting? The gift of "passing it on." Not everyone here has a current problem with drugs, but a community member might have helped them in the past. And they're willing to do that for someone else, too.
    And I think that's wonderful.
  19. deanokat

Well said, @Aescopri. The "passing it on" part reminds me so much of one of my favorite quotes from my favorite author, Anne Lamott:

“Gratitude begins in our hearts and then dovetails into behavior. It almost always makes you willing to be of service, which is where the joy resides...When you are aware of all that has been given to you, in your lifetime and the past few days, it is hard not to be humbled, and pleased to give back.”
    Joseph and L_B like this.
  20. Jorge Solis

Jorge Solis Active Contributor

I want to thank you, Joe. My name is Jorge Solis and I am a prospective Physician Assistant. The reason I decided to enter this profession was because I wanted to genuinely help people. I am very appreciative of forums like this, places where we can offer a helping hand, kind thought, encouragement...