An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Will a meth addict ever change?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by shindiggermate, Jun 4, 2015.

1. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Of course they can change. It's not easy, it's very difficult and it's a sensitive thing and a sensitive subject and I really hope and pray those who struggle with it get help and rest. I think that it is a difficult subject but again, it is absolutely possible.
  2. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

YES! Don't ever give up hope on your husband—he will recover, if you seek some help from family, friends and a psychiatrist. If you think that he's going too far, put your children up for adoption and leave him for the better. It's time to put your past behind and start a new life.
    This doesn't have to ruin your marriage—if you talk to him and he listens (when he isn't high), you might just find him clean of drugs. Anyhow, scout the internet, forums, and drug websites to see what you can find and what you're able to do for him.
  3. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

Unfortunately I agree with the other posters that the chances of recovery are slight, but I am wishing you and your husband the best. I strongly believe that loving, supportive people around you help immensely through the process of recovery. Hold on!
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have heard of meth addicts who have turned their life around, but in my opinion is not easy, specially if said person is already stuck in this vicious circle. Addicts tend to lie a lot and be manipulative to get what they want, so I'm not surprised to hear he promises the world to you. Truth is... he will never change unless he actually wants to change, but the decision must come from within himself.

Now, what makes someone wnat to turn their life around and change? Sometimes it's a big incident, a tragedy that serves as a wake up call, sometimes love can push you to do that, a repressed memory, a feeling, a sudden moment of epiphany, etc. Truth is no one, not even him knows when he will feel the need to change and quit meth.

If I were you I'd separate from him until he turns his life around, if he will change he will while you are gone.
    Drandolph likes this.
  5. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

He'll change. Everyone has the potential to change. The real question is what is it going to take for him to realize he wants to.
  6. recovered

recovered Member

People can change however I am not one to support domestic violence. Abuse and witnessing addiction at a young age can be detrimental for your children. At one point or another it becomes less about your illusions of a happy family and more about the safety and well being of your children. Loving him through his addiction could prove to strengthen your relationship but be cautious, smart and overall protective.
    Drandolph likes this.
  7. kariad28

kariad28 Member

I feel they can if they have the right guidance. If they feel no one care about them sometimes that will affect the way that they go about getting help. I would think that long as you have someone in your corner fighting with you then you can get passed it but you have to want it and pray and ask God for help.
  8. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I'd say leave him easy but keep in touch to help him recover, I mean don't let him get hurt and go back to drugs because of what you did, he should be seeing his children for the sake of staying motivated, but you don't have to throw your life away like this because quitting meth is probably the hardest thing a man could encounter, I'm sorry but that's it, you're most likely going to regret and get even more upset if you stayed with him so it's better to deal with it as soon as possible ...
    Buttercup likes this.
  9. LilAnn

jail is a great way to detox. Personally, I would wait before leaving him. See how he handles himself after going through "forced detox". When he gets out, he'll do one of two things... come straight home to his family, or straight to his dealer's house. That would be the defining moment for me.
    Buttercup likes this.
  10. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Oh, you got that right! Either a person goes home happy and content to be there or straight to the dealers.

I just think in this situation with violence and young children it is too risky to see if a person can change simply by spending some time in jail. Seeking professional help for yourself, children, and husband before reuniting is a wise choice.

Domestic violence on top of a drug addiction is just too dangerous of a situation to take on by yourself. Although, I do hope you continue to reach out to all of us here on the forum for support, too. As you can see, many people really do care!
    Buttercup and LilAnn like this.
  11. 6up

6up Community Champion

He will come to change since I think that jail is another form of rehab. I know how much he misses his kids, which will also have impact to his decisions. You will have to forgive him and tell him how you will love him to live drug free.
  12. LilAnn

you're absolutely right. Something that escaped me before, until I read this post... you're at risk of losing your children while you're with him. If he can't pass a drug test, and they suspect domestic violence, they'll come in and snatch those kids right up. Nothing is more important than kids.
    Buttercup and pineywood like this.
  13. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Drug addicts can change. There are many former drug addicts who attend my church. One of them in particular was in a very similar situation as this. He found God in a jail cell, came out and just gave his life to the Lord and started his road to recovery. It can change, I promise you.
    Buttercup likes this.
  14. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I agree, people can change and people can overcome addiction. Your example provides inspiring hope for others to travel down this road to recovery. In this situation, I just think it is best to be on that road to recovery first before going back home to ensure the safety of all concerned.
    Buttercup likes this.
  15. LilAnn

If you keep your wits about you, everything will work out for the best. I believe it will, anyway. You just have to think with you head AND your heart.
  16. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Addicts usually never change, it's in their nature to be addicted to something, the form of addiction might take many changes, but it would still be the same addicted person. An addict either heals from whatever trauma started his addiction in the first place, either changes the substance of addiction and dies an addict.
  17. LilAnn

Wow, that was pretty harsh considering this is a forum specifically for addicts, and their loved ones. And it simply isn't true. I'm sure that applies to some people. But everyone else here seems to think they can work hard and they can change.
    Buttercup likes this.
  18. Matthodge1

I agree with your last statement. I would certainly wait.
    pineywood likes this.
  19. Matthodge1

That may be the most negative way of thinking that I have seen on this forum. Why would you even say something like that? There are so many cases of former addicts turning their lives around.
    Buttercup likes this.
  20. Matthodge1

I completely agree with this. Everyone has the ability to change their lives, but they just have to do it.