An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Will anything ever be fun again?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by RakeMind4, Nov 10, 2014.

1. RakeMind4

RakeMind4 Active Contributor

I've been told that once you've been into heroin, you'll never want to do anything else, as much, for the rest of your life. From curiosity, in what way is this true?

I mean, to me, life is already really boring. And from the limited experiences I've had experimenting with opiate pills, I can really see this possibility being the case. Opiates feel out of this world fantastic; I can only imagine what actual heroin must be like. The nectar of the Garden of Eden itself, it would seem.

What has anyone done to keep interested in life once you've hit a point where nothing is interesting or really enjoyable?
  2. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I think I wrote this before on this forum, but I'll rewrite once more:

Sometimes it's not the experience that needs change, instead, it's the experiencer who should change their perspective.

Fun is all subjective; it's not objective.
    DK01, elles-belles and karmaskeeper like this.
  3. RakeMind4

Ha! If you want to get a message out, you'll have to repeat yourself more than twice. Just sayin'

What do you mean by "change their perspective"? Can you be more specific? It's not like you can "just change your perspective," and suddenly find math homework more fun than video games, you know?
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It all boils down to attitude. If you have a positive outlook of life and are willing to forget the past and it's pleasures so to say, then there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy life just like everyone else. There's a good reason why people decide they won't do drugs anymore. The satisfaction or fun the user derives from them, is but ephemeral.

Anyway, to answer your question, is there anything one can do that's enjoyable once you stop using heroin or opiates? Yep. There are tons of fun things to do. Everyone has things they loved to do before becoming addicts. They could back to them or find a new hobby.
  5. RakeMind4

How vague! Can you define your understanding of non-ephemeral, or real, fun and satisfaction, then?

I'm sure people who've actually been through heroin addiction would agree with me when I say easier said than done. I mean, I suppose yea, that's basically what you've got to do, but... god. It's got to be really hard to go back once you've been living on the other side. In my limited experience with opiates, and not even actual heroin, I'd describe it as being like the happiest you've ever been in your life, for an hour solid. Hate to say it, but it's great. I mean, of course, only at first. Even I know that the stuff works in such a way that the more you do it, the less and less great it becomes, and the more and more consequential it becomes (fortunately enough, I suppose. Lol. Or else the entire world would do nothing but heroin).
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I can see how this can be a major problem for most heroin users. I think it is possible to see the simpler joys in life but they just have to work that much more at it than others, and they have to accept that. For most people, reaching a dopamine high is not that hard but for someone with an addictive mind a slight bump for some will seem like an exponential movement, so even before they became addicted to the substances of their choice it was already hard for them to be happy with normal things, which is why it will become even more of a challenge once they've already tried it. I think it just takes a change of mindset and a lot of willpower. Judging from what I've heard from recovering alcoholics and addicts, it doesn't sound like it gets that much easier, but it's better if you have something to look forward to like work or family or just a more peaceful life in general.
  7. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

I think that people cling to drugs because it's an easy way to find happiness. Just smoke, snort or inject and that's it. Easy, peasy.

The thing about drug addicts is how narrow minded they are once they get fully addicted to something. I've heard addicts say "I've tried EVERYTHING!!". Well that's just absurd! Have you tried parasailing over an active volcano? I'm sure there are very few people in the world who have done that (I know I didn't :p). But what I mean is that there are a zillion activities that you could engage in to keep your mind busy enough to help you recover.

The problem is not having to find some other fun activity. The problem is not wanting to.

Thinking about how hard is going to be is throwing the towel before the fight has even started. Of course it's going to be hard! You're battling an addiction, meaning that you have to tell your body that it has to stop doing something that it really loves. But I've seen enough people overcoming drug addictions (even known a couple) to believe that it can be done. Many tales in this board are good examples.
  8. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Do you remember when you were a child having fun? The simplest of things made you happy. Wasn't that a wonderful feeling? Do you look back on those days, and wonder how just being outside with a couple of friends riding bikes made you feel so good? That is real fun the way it was intended to be. Not a fake happy from a bottle,needle or pill. Being bored is your on fault. Don't make excuses to be a addict. Make plans to live that is where happiness will be found.
  9. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I remember very well childhood fun, and still think I have tons of fun as an adult. I can drink and have fun and also stay sober and enjoy myself. Last weekend was my birthday and a few of my girlfriends went out dancing to celebrate with me. I didn't even have so much as one birthday shot, but danced and laughed all night with close friends. I actually think turning to substances to find joy is quite counterproductive and does the opposite. On the other hand I lived with an alcoholic so I can see how being trashed can help you forget your problems and cut loose too.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I would definitely not turn on drugs just because life doesn't appeal to me anymore. There are so many ways for your life to be enjoyable and interesting. Try having new hobbies, make new friends, look out for activities that you think you have a passion for. As for me, I love reading books. It's some kind of therapy for me.
  11. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Heroin is not necessarily better than 'prescription heroin'. In fact, many addicts have stated that what they get from pharmaceutical companies is above & beyond better than what they can score on the streets. This makes total sense. I think what you're speaking toward is shooting the drug not the content of the drug itself. Shooting an opiate is a far different experience from snorting or popping a pill.
  12. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I think that the statement that you will never have fun again is stretching it a tad too far. Fun is a relative matter like some posters have already pointed out! What might be fun for me doesn't mean will be fun for you or the next person. Again a change in a persons perspective is needed, I suppose one really just needs to adjust their mentality and find other hobbies that can be fun to them! I know a few people who have thrown themselves in other things like taking up a hobby they've always wanted to try out but never did or just doing some charity work. It really is doable!
  13. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

It is a bit of an exaggeration and that happens after a shock usually. Don't worry, colors will regain their beauty in no time.
  14. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I like how you pointed out that this really is just normal behavior after the shock one's body gets from having no heroine in the system! The shock happens to the best of us and you will end up finding things that you used to deem as fun very bland and boring, life might also start to seem like a really tiresome chore that you really just want to quit. The major key her like Tournique has so nicely put across is hanging in there because things will brighten up again and you will find a reason for smiling once more.
  15. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

I definitely agree. It's how you receive your experience, not what the experience is. It's how you choose to experience things. It's not an external thing, it's internal. What's important is that you find happiness from within.

Always remember to find the positive in everything. Everything happens for a reason because there's something greater in the end.
  16. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

One of the best things you can do is not fight the experience you go through, but rather accept it and try to improve with it. Times will change for the better, but if you do not accept the idea that things hurt now you will no way overcome them.
  17. rubydust

rubydust Member

I must admit, when I first got off drugs, nothing was fun. Life was a daily struggle, I felt ill and emotionally battered. It rook a good six month, maybe more, for me to even begin to get back in an even keel. But that was 5 years ago, and now my brain is able to act normally, and I do have fun now, just not by taking drugs.
  18. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Getting off of drugs is almost like losing a part of yourself due to your codependency. You are literally removing something that was a part of you and life will be completely different without it, but that's ok. You're doing it for the best. Things may not be as exciting as they were but at least you're making progress.
  19. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

I think we have to realise that as we get older, life is generally less 'fun'. As young people, there so many things still new to us. As we get older we tend to derive joy and excitement from completely different things, like spending time with nieces and nephews, reading a good book, moving home or even building something from scratch. I think once you realise this mentally, then there's no need to go chasing the same highs we had before.
  20. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Apathy is a tough thing to struggle with, and perhaps one of the hardest things to get people to understand when you are suffering from depression and they've never gone through it themselves. The things that *should* make you happy and pique your interest, don't anymore - and it sucks.

It's absolutely crippled me on some freelance projects, to the point where I had to just tell them I'm sorry for wasting their time but I won't be able to complete the work for them. There are days where I will just sit at my screen and cannot get anything done, no matter how much I try to focus, or no matter how many times I try to give myself short breaks to clear my mind.

Even stuff that I used to enjoy doing like drawing and photography don't interest me at all anymore. I blew several grand in new camera equipment a few years ago, thinking I will make a commitment to getting out more, going for hikes and start doing more photography again, and now my equipment is just sitting around collecting dust.

Others will often just dismiss it as you being lazy, selfish, unmotivated, and such - when they don't understand the feeling of helplessness it's really causing.