An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Will CPS get involved at all?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by frogsandlegos, Oct 27, 2014.

1. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

If a mother is allowing her 15 and 16 year old kids to smoke marijuana in their home (and you are 100% sure it is true) will CPS do anything at all?

I have never used mj, but I do believe it is of course not as harmful as other drugs. But I do think it is the gateway drug to others and that is what I'm concerned about.

If the mom is a relatively okay mom - just lets her kids smoke marijuana - but does NOT abuse them emotionally, physically or anything will CPS do anything at all?????
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

If she is allowing them to smoke it, and it can be proven that she allows that type of activity, then I would assume that child protection services will get involved. If she had no idea, then she might get off.
  3. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

Thanks Josh for your response. Two friends told me that CPS does not get involved with marijuana use, I am hoping that is just a rumor though? Does anyone have personal experience with this?

I guess the best thing is to call but I am kind of up in the air as to that would be the best decision.
  4. prey

prey Member

No, they won't interfere into it... or at least I reckon it this way.
  5. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

In Common Law Nations, all Government entities "cannot" offer you [plural word] any of their contracts, you must go to their Agencies and choose to apply for their business - U.S.A., Canada, Britain, Australia, India, and a few other countries are Common Law Nations, which imply Law [laid down by contract or agreement between two parties] that is common to people. Also, any contract you make with a Government entity e.g. CPS, you can rescind or revoke the contract whenever you wish to do so - although, the people "acting" as Government Agents will test you and attempt to deter you from being let go from their business. More over, all Common Law Governments are corporations and are chartered to benefit the public aka the people, and cannot harm its creators, a man and woman - citizens and persons [mask], can appear like a man or woman, but have a duty and obligation to their civil [family] society; a man or woman, can not be a person.

I ask,"Did any Government Agent ever come knocking on your door, and forced you to sign one of their documents?" No; you possibly went to their business places and applied for a contract with them, presuming you would receive a no-risk benefit from them - nothing is for free in business!

In other words, if you do not want to do business with CPS, don't sign a contract with any of their Agents - the logic is that simple.
  6. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Valiantx, I'm sorry, but that is largely untrue.

I'd be very careful about involving CPS. I know people mean well, but do some research. Often times, being "in the system" is far worse than the homes the children were pulled from in the first place. I'm not condoning the pot smoking, just saying, a group home (where most teens end up) is more like a prison with the same horror stories you hear from adult prisons.
  7. Sar.bear

Sar.bear Member

I don't know if CPS will get involved but my mom did the same thing with me as a teenager. She actually was the one who introduced me to marijuana because she noticed I was showing interest in it. I think the way she handled it actually encouraged me not to abuse it. I still smoke it occasionally to this day and I don't feel it has interfered with my life in any way, and in the 8 years since I've started I've never felt like I needed to experiment with any other drug. I wouldn't want to call CPS on her because maybe she feels like she's doing what she thinks is right for them.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think they should but if they are in a state that still doesn't allow it then they might. I am against the idea that marijuana is called a gateway drug. Anything can be a gateway drug including alcohol. Blaming substances won't do anything but be used as scare tactics in making people submit. If they are not doing harm to others then they should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want in their own house.
  9. dejanee22

dejanee22 Member

You did not mention which state you live in. Each state has different rules on how to report. Chapter 39 in the state of Florida requires that if a person has reasonably causes to believe neglect,or abuse has occur that they should make a report. Depending on what state you live in will determine what programs can be used to correct this behavior for example parenting classes. I personally do not believe that a minor should be expose to any form of drugs and therefore it is a bad parenting choice and should be corrected. CPS will only be able to get involved if someone has reported them.
    Nick W. likes this.
  10. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I don't agree with anything that Valiantx stated, but so much of this is simply not true.

Now, I know that it is different in different areas, but being "in the system" is often NOT worse than the homes that children were pulled from in the first place. This is what I do for a living, work with teens in crisis, and I can tell you that the kids that ACTUALLY get pulled from their homes, are kids that are in serious crisis where they are at.

Most places, even CPS, will try and work with a parent towards a solution, they will give multiple chances before placing kids in CPS custody. They will try outpatient therapy, drug testing, placement with family members, and a number of other things before they go to that extreme. (Yes, you can always find stories online about CPS "ripping kids" from their homes, and taking kids for "no reason", but remember that's also because nobody is writing stories about all the times the system works, they only write about when it does not work.)

I've worked in over 50 group homes in the last 15 years, in Phoenix, Philadelphia, New York, & Washington DC... and 5 juvenile corrections facilities, and I can tell you that NONE of them offer the amount of violence, sexual assault, and lack of general concern, criminal "education", or substance abuse, that you see in adult prisons.

To answer the original question. No, I don't believe CPS will take kids because they suspect parents are allowing their kids to use drugs. It's actually pretty difficult to "prove" that parents allowed it, or encouraged it, to happen. These are usually cases that need to be well documented, or prove a clear & present danger to the kids, before they are removed.
  11. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

This is accurate in most states, and "involved" means a lot of different things, not just taking kids out of homes.
    dejanee22 likes this.