An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Will Marijuana Eventually Become Fully Legal?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Dola91, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Dola91

Dola91 Member

Hello everyone. I have a question. Due to a considerable amount of states legalizing weed, do you think the rest of the country will follow suit? If so, how soon? Personally, I feel that war on the drug was a complete failure.
  2. Mormo

Mormo Member

My state recently legalized marijuana and I think it was a good thing. It will raise a lot of money in taxes that can go to good causes. I am sure that eventually all states will legalize marijuana. What I am afraid of is that the corporations will end up putting deadly chemicals and stuff that will make the marijuana more addictive like they have done with tobacco.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not from the US but I am aware that there are some states there that legalized marijuana already.
    I think not all will follow or will legalize the substance. Simply because there will be always opposite to the idea or opposing side that will not allow that to happen.
  4. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I'm from Canada and amazingly it's not legal here yet though it is somewhat decriminalized. I think in North America the legalization will spread very quickly when governments can see how much money can be made.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Marijuana is a very "commercial" drug, and it promoted in many ways, such as Facebook and weed-themed clothing. I think it will become a legal drug, as many people will want to try it. I don't like the idea, but this is the sad truth.
  6. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I'm not a fan of the legalization except for medical reasons, but chances are very high that marijuana will become legal throughout the United States. It makes fiscal sense above all else, and states won't continue to ignore how much revenue they can pull in from regulating and taxing legal marijuana sales.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think so, similar to how they failed with prohibition with alcohol I think they are realizing how silly it was to spread propaganda against this plant. I'm personally for the legalization of it even just on the basic principle that we are all equal and no human should have more of a right than another to tell everyone what not to plant or ingest.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It will take a bit of time before weed is legalized everywhere. Once the the other States which are yet to legalize Marijuana see how much they are are losing out on taxes, I'm sure they'll for the sake of the money legalize the drug. It's the tax thing that is going to get weed legalized all over.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I believe that over twenty states have now legalized marijuana - that's quite a lot and is nearly half of them, if not half or more. It wouldn't surprise if every US state goes on to legalize it. It has also been completely decriminalized in Uruguay.
  10. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Just to clarify, only four states and Washington DC have actually legalized recreational cannabis. The rest of the states have only legalized medical cannabis.
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, that's true - it has only been legalized for medicinal use in most states and not for recreational use, like it has been in Washington and Colorado. However, it has been completely decriminalized in Uruguay.
  12. MissLisa

MissLisa Member

I think marijuana is on its way to becoming fully legalized. I understand that there could be a health benefit in the use of the drug, but when you abuse anything it can be harmful to the human body. There should be a great plan put in place to stop the abuse of this drug in obtaining it through the legalized channels.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it will be much easier to regulate and have it become less abused when it is legalized because that way they are able to get the right doses at the right amount instead of just getting their advice from street dealers. Not to mention the substance itself can be more closely checked and monitored for safer consumption.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I live in NY, but I was in California for over 10 years. It became legal while I was out there. These people were smoking it all over the place like it was nothing before it was legal. The cops did not pay any attention to it at all. I think they knew they were going to make it legal there. The rest of the country will follow I believe. It is actually historic like prohibition was when alcohol began to become legal. I am kind of mixed about it. To each his own on that one. I have a friend in LA with a clinic and they sell it. It has cameras and thick bullet proof glass. They are busy. People roll in with a station wagon and kids at 11pm at night buying their stuff. I don't know. Some of it is strong enough where they tell them to stay home when the use it. They have sexy female doctors writing prescriptions and giving the cards out. It is wild. Marijuana is plant and the regulations for this is tight. My friend's are all organic. Lol, I am not into it but I guess it's better than prescription drugs. I like Kava Kava extract in hot tea.
  15. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I believe it will be legalized in all of the US overtime for recreational use. I watched as certain prominent persons in the medical community who once condemned its use, back pedaled and saw it as necessary for at least health reasons. Overall it seems to be gaining more and more acceptance the world over.

Here in the Caribbean it's illegal. Recently I was asked to participate in a survey asking my views on whether or not it should be legalized. I suspect it might be a while before it is legalized here. With all that I have read and witnessed I am not convinced that it should be made a legal drug.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It is an interesting subject. Yes I don't know that it should be legalized either. Control substance or whatever they want to do with it. I think here it is really a license to use a recreational mind altering plant. The eventual goal of pharma is to require people to need a prescription for vitamins. This has already begun. People getting B12 shots and such. A friend of mine gets that and I said to her what is it derived from. She had no idea. Sometimes they get it from the exhaust of the air plane. Well we will see how it all progresses. The marijuana there is a card they get especially for that. The clinics take what is called a donation towards what they are getting. No set price. It's weird. My friend gives samples with a purchase.
  17. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Marijuana is already legal in the majority of states, but I sincerely don't know if it's a wise decision. Sure, it looks cool and it might get some votes, but from the health point of view?
  18. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

What are you talking about? Marijuana is completely legal in only four U.S. states and an additional two cities in Maine. Only 24 states have both decriminalized (done away with jail time for marijuana possession) and made exceptions for medical marijuana, but that doesn't mean recreational use is fully legal. That's not a majority.
  19. LifeM1

LifeM1 Member

Marijuana is certainly well on its way to being commercially available to everyone. Barring adolescents, obviously. Not that it would really make a difference. Young people tend to get their hands on weed rather easily so this would just make it a bit less difficult. In any case, this is still an uphill battle for those that want it legal in the entire united states. Maybe in the next ten or so years that will become the reality.
  20. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Sorry, I meant decriminalize, but either cases, this happened so fast that I am not seeing any other direction being taken, it's going to be legal soon enough, let's see with what consequences.