An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Will Marijuana Eventually Become Fully Legal?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Dola91, Dec 1, 2014.

1. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

It is not only making money from taxes, it is also the money they won´t be losing by putting harmless people in prison. There are hundreds of thousands of people in prison in the USA for pot crimes, which cost states and the federal government a ton of money.

And it isn´t just the prisons they will save on, it is also the court cases..
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Oh, I can agree with that. There can potentially be tons of consequences. More studies have been coming our recently, showing that marijuana does have negative effects on long-term users. There's no consensus on the matter yet, though. Hopefully, a consensus is made before it's legalized across the country, rather than after, regardless of what that consensus is.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

The issue for me here is, why is it being approved, because it's good for our health or due to economic and popular reasons? What will happen on the long run?
  4. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

It's going to be legal in most states soon. However, outside the borders of America, things are still different. In Asia, most likely, legalizing marijuana will be very difficult.
  5. Gelsemium

In my country it's already decriminalized, but still illegal and with the economic crisis there's not much talk about it, people are happy with the way it is now.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think Colorado has set the benchmark for how profitable it is to legalize Marijuana. Now it is in heavy talks around the US to have it legalized one state at a time. Why? Because it is profitable. So while growing up we were told that it is illegal and not good for your health, but now that it is profitable, its acceptable. It just goes to show you that some drugs are bad only if they Government can't tax it properly.

Alcohol is by far the worst substance to create havoc in the populous, but it is legal because of the tax that can be collected from its legalized sale. Now Marijuana will be next in line for legalization because the money is to good to pass up.
  7. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

Here is my problem with these studies. Yes, EVERYTHING has bad effects that come with it. Smoking is legal, alcohol is legal and both come with terrible effects. When they study the effects of legalization, they need to look at the NET effect it would have, not pinpoint every small negative thing. One of the biggest things it would do is separate otherwise normal citizens away from drug dealers. It would also get about a million people out of prison. Yes, there are going to be dozens of negative things that happen because of legalization, but in the end, it will be a net positive thing for the country.
  8. Gelsemium

No one would question that and in fact it's a huge source of money, the fact is that in a way the state is now drug dealer because they are getting part of this.
  9. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

My state decriminalized Marijuana, which is great. Even Washington D.C has made it legal for adults 21 and older to own marijuana plants(Six, I believe), and made it legal to have up to X grams of marijuana on you at a time.
    I definitely think that marijuana will be completely legal by 2050.
    The only reason it isn't legalized everywhere is because the government can't figure out how to distribute and tax it the way they'd like to, and they don't want to release and compensate the very large amount of prisoners for their hard time.
  10. Gelsemium

I don't doubt that as well Mac, but I wonder how will be our health like by 2050, will we be healthier due to this measure?
  11. Nichole W.

Nichole W. Member

That will only happen if the marijuana industry becomes more regulated. It's the wild west right now with mom and pop shops, you might get the occasional fertilizer or mold spray but it's no where near as bad as the stuff in tobacco.
  12. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I hope not! Legal is for the concerns of the U.S. Government Agencies and Agents to "codify" the Laws set by the people, which is done by a publishers like Thompson's Publishing Group, Inc. and LexisNexis - it's "interpretations" of Common Law or Law: common to people. Seriously, why has no man or woman ever simply say or write,"Is it 'unlawful' to possess and use my property aka marijuana?" The answer is 'no,' because in the U.S.A. and other Common Law nations, Law is created and lay [or lie; this is the true meaning of this word] down on paper by the people for the benefit of the people - it is not done for the benefit of the people's servants called U.S. Government Agencies and Agents!

So when I see and hear people advocate legalize marijuana [truly it's termed hemp or cannabis], I look in pity for their ignorance because such people are giving away their rights and property to their servants, U.S. Government Agencies and Agents. I'm fine with Legal decriminalizing, but not with Legalizing hemp because this hands authority over to U.S. public servants and no doubt they will do everything to interfere, regulate, tax, and use legalized hemp to benefit their agendas, which had happened during and prior to the events of WW2.
  13. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I believe it is a step in the right direction, and I think it will become legal nationwide eventually and other countries will follow. My bigger concerns right now are how the legalization is being carried out. From what I've heard in some areas, the "legal" weed costs an arm and a leg due to all the heavy taxation on it. Making it so expensive is only going to perpetuate a black market for it, which will cause lower class citizens to continue to be arrested for it. I really hope we don't wind up in a situation where it's only "legal" for affluent, Caucasian individuals.

We are also going to go through a cultural upheaval as more and more people come out of their closets as pot smokers. I know a lot of people who smoke pot regularly but keep it under the radar at their work places and among other acquaintances. Similarly I also know a lot of non drug users who are major goody too shoes and very judgmental about anyone else using any sort of drugs. I suspect some backlash of discrimination against pot smokers when they start going more public, from some of their peers. There is a likelihood imo, we could see something along the lines of MADD going after pot smokers, and heavy fines and jail time for driving under the influence of it.
  14. Gelsemium

That is a fact Tom, culturally being accepted will change the ways of many people and here where the risk lies I think because this will affect a lot of areas in the society.
  15. syrkt

syrkt Member

I am not from the US either, but basing my thoughts on what is occurring in Canada at the moment in terms of legalizing certain drugs, such as marijuana, I would (unfortunately) have to say that it is closer than ever to becoming legal. With the fall of the tobacco industry in recent years, it appears as though many youth have instead turned to the use of marijuana, a substance that, according to urban legend, is not at all harmful to humans. Without going into the incorrectness of this statement, the fact that it is supposedly more of a pure plant substance is causing more and more youth to turn to this supposedly "healthy" alternative. Scarily enough, one of our party leaders is even currently using the legalization of marijuana as part of his platform...
  16. juno

juno Community Champion

As legalization of Marijuana is growing in popularity in many states, it will probably eventually happen. However, in the United States, I think it is a matter of federal legalization before everyone will catch on.
  17. Gelsemium

I still don't get why everyone is legalizing it, popular demand? Anyone is seeing benefits to this? I think it's a really dubious question even if it looks cool...
  18. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I believe that eventually marijuana will be legal all over the world, but I think that it will be for the wrong reasons. I think that a lot of people will be looking to make capitol that we will easily forget that we wanted it legal to give easy access to those who need it.
  19. Gelsemium

That is the key question here Lito, we need to give access to the people who need it for medical reasons, but it's not what is happening. A general decriminalization is not the way to go.
  20. Dola91

Dola91 Member

I really hope they do because this a natural occurring plant. It is organicially grown in nature. The fact it was criminalized explains the general disregard of its consumption.