An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Will Marijuana Eventually Become Fully Legal?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Dola91, Dec 1, 2014.

1. paichuu

paichuu Member

During а series оf YouTube interviews Thursday, President Obama demonstrated a remarkably laissez-faire attitude tоward marijuana legalization experiments іn thе states. And he signaled strongly that the Obama administration wouldn’t bе taking to thе hustings to try to beat back legalization efforts, аs previous administrations had bеen wont tо do.

“What you’re seeing now is Colorado, Washington through state referenda, they’re experimenting with legal marijuana,” the president ѕаid іn response tо a question frоm YouTube host Hank Green. “The position of mу administration hаs been thаt we still have federal laws that classify marijuana aѕ аn illegal substance, but we’re nоt goіng to spend a lot of resources trуіng to turn back decisions thаt hаve bееn made аt the state level оn thіs issue. My suspicion iѕ that you’re gonna seе оther states start loоkіng аt this.”

Indeed. Legalization bills аre alrеаdy popping uр іn state legislatures arоund the country, and whіle it’s unlikely — though not impossible — that anу of them will pass this year, 2016 lооkѕ tо be the breakout year for freeing the weed. One state іѕ gоіng to be the firѕt to legalize it through thе legislature, and next year ѕeemѕ reasonable. And the presidential election year іѕ аlѕо likely tо ѕеe successful legalization initiatives іn ѕеvеrаl more.

Currently four states — Alaska, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington — and the District of Columbia havе ended pot prohibition. But that’s only аbout 18 million people. By thе time theу quit counting the votes on Election Day 2016, that number is likеlу to triple, and thеn some.
  2. JohnBrock

JohnBrock Active Contributor

I would be shocked if we wouldn't be looking at increased legalization of marijuana, quite frankly it seems pretty silly to keep it illegal, I know that there's the "gateway drug" argument, but honestly, I believe the gateway element has more to do with the community you engage with when buying marijuana (where it is illegal) than it has to do with the actual drug, speaking relatively, it would make way more sense if alcohol was illegal...
  3. paichuu

paichuu Member

During а series оf YouTube interviews Thursday, President Obama demonstrated a remarkably laissez-faire attitude tоward marijuana legalization experiments іn thе states. And he signaled strongly that the Obama administration wouldn’t bе taking to thе hustings to try to beat back legalization efforts, аs previous administrations had bеen wont tо do.

“What you’re seeing now is Colorado, Washington through state referenda, they’re experimenting with legal marijuana,” the president ѕаid іn response tо a question frоm YouTube host Hank Green. “The position of mу administration hаs been thаt we still have federal laws that classify marijuana aѕ аn illegal substance, but we’re nоt goіng to spend a lot of resources trуіng to turn back decisions thаt hаve bееn made аt the state level оn thіs issue. My suspicion iѕ that you’re gonna seе оther states start loоkіng аt this.”

Indeed. Legalization bills аre alrеаdy popping uр іn state legislatures arоund the country, and whіle it’s unlikely — though not impossible — that anу of them will pass this year, 2016 lооkѕ tо be the breakout year for freeing the weed. One state іѕ gоіng to be the firѕt to legalize it through thе legislature, and next year ѕeemѕ reasonable. And the presidential election year іѕ аlѕо likely tо ѕеe successful legalization initiatives іn ѕеvеrаl more.

Currently four states — Alaska, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington — and the District of Columbia havе ended pot prohibition. But that’s only аbout 18 million people. By thе time theу quit counting the votes on Election Day 2016, that number is likеlу to triple, and thеn some.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

It ultimately depends on the laws that were established in each state. I'm also not from the US, but most states now allow legal medical uses of weed, but most are still opposed to it and weed is still illegal in most states.
  5. Coltodor

Coltodor Member

I can see the possibility of that happening. States are realizing the Marijuana business is a gold mine. Also with the positive media coverage and the news of people using the Marijuana medically is only helping the push for legalization. There is also the sentiment that the War on Drugs is a waste of time and making the problem worse.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

There is going to be a lot of people for its legalization, and as much people against its legalization.
    These two camps will eventually fight, not the state powers that will legalize it or not; it just depends on whoever's going to have more adepts: the pro side or the anti one.
    I'm personally against its legalization, as it will make humans even worse in what concerns productivity; teenagers today are being kept in their protective cocoon by their supportive and caring parents, which don't realize that their kids are going to undoubtedly work one day, and marijuana will make them even less-motivated. We the humans don't want to look at the bigger picture, we just want to rely on appearances.
    Anyway, it's just my point of view, there's a chance the world is going to be a better place by finally legalizing it, but I wouldn't take the risk if I had the legal authority of passing it.
  7. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

I believe were going to have the ability to legalize marijuana within the next five years. I think at least four more states are going to legalize it this year and next year. Eventually once half the states have legalized it will be up for a nationwide vote.
  8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

The short answer? Yes. America has been behind on its 'war on drugs' for a long time. Nothing says your losing a war on drugs more than the country hemorrhaging money while people are using more drugs than ever. It's idiotic not to take a second look at this idea. It's clearly not working.
  9. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well I hope it gets decriminalized soon because there is no evidence of marijuana causing adverse effects similar to the hard drugs like cocaine and heroine. In my opinion I think marijuana is better for smoking than tobacco but I guess laws were made to protect the business interests of the wealthy.
  10. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Movies have a big role to play here too. When you watch these, all the teens are getting high on weed. They show it as if it's cool and everyone should do it. What they don't show is the after effects. We need to change the whole damn system!
  11. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I believe that marijuana serves many purposes and can help many people. I've lived all over the country and it seems the laws are very loose everywhere I have lived. I really hope this is a nationwide trend as it can benefit our communities with millions of tax dollars going back into the community. It will lighten the loads in our prison system and also help those who are sick and benefit from marijuana on a medical level.
  12. LaikaComeHome

LaikaComeHome Member

I lived in California, where it is legal, but recently moved to Denver, where it is legal. I think the legalization of marijuana was a good thing for Colorado and California and other states would really benefit from it. I can see it happeneing in the next 10 years or so.
  13. RobertBlat

RobertBlat Member

I think it will be legalized across the US within 4 or 5 years, and other countries in the anglosphere where it's still illegal will soon follow.
  14. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

I don't know if every single state will allow Marijuana to be legalized, but in the future more states will definitely begin to become more relaxed about, which allow for legalization to occur.

I actually read an article recently that said a considerable percentage of Marijuana trafficking has stopped, because it's being sold in Colorado and Washington. This has allowed for less violence to occur in the Mexican drug cartel business. So, I think there are many incentives to simply allow Marijuana to be legalized. There are more things out there that are legal than Marijuana; it's only a matter of time.
  15. 6up

6up Community Champion

I do not want it legalised even if it means that regulating its use will be easier. If it is legalised then the ads can influence many children to start smoking. A nation with with most people high at work can never develop.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Marijuana is certainly becoming more accepted by society and I think it's only a matter of time before it will be fully legalized. More and more states across the US have decided to decriminalize the use of marijuana and i believe its only a matter of time before the rest of the world does the same.

Even now, in the countries and states that still have restrictions on marijuana use I think unless your caught in possesion of vast amounts, your not going to be in too much trouble. That is how much more relaxed the law as become these days towards the use of marijuana and it's users.

And in my opinion this can only be a good thing.
  17. Bluesman

Bluesman Member

I think that it should be regulated by goverment. Right now getting a hold of marijuana is very easy. People are having more difficulty buing quality food than buing weed. So if we can't cut the distribution we should at least control it.
  18. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Yes. It's making big strides right now. It's been legalized by the government in various situations already, *EVEN IN our CAPITAL, Washington DC!* but it's up to state individual legislation to okay it in their states and for what reasons (medicinal, etc).

http://www.vocativ.com/underworld/drugs/legal-weed-states/
  19. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I'll say this. Marijuana sales seem to be a goldmine now. However, that's because only a few states have it legalized. What happens when it's the norm for 50 states? Presumably the overall wealth will be spread out and not as condensed as it is in places where it can be purchased today. Those that are going to benefit the most financially are those that get in on the ground floor. MJ crop is probably the new tobacco and paper crops.
  20. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

That is a very good argument Nick, I mean, only a few states have it legal so everyone is buying there, if everyone legalizes is the sales will spread all over the country. It's all about profit...