An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Will my oka make me relapse?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Noreht, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Noreht

Noreht Active Contributor

I recently started smoking the oka pipe again and I am actually very disappointed in myself as I was hoping to not smoke any form of tobacco anymore. I smoke maybe two coals every evening which is a far cry from the 8 I would usually do. I have no intention of smoking anything but molasses tobacco in the oka, but the jail is filled with people with good intentions. I am keeping the oka smoking to a minimum and I hope to eventually stop again, but it does help me not to crave weed anymore so I suppose that is a good thing.

Do you guys think it is ok for me to continue smoking oka or should I quit it cold turkey?
    Jani_pikki likes this.
  2. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

It's great that you stopped using other drugs and don't want to start again. Good for you.

I don't think anyone else can answer that question for you. I think you have to decide for yourself. Many people substitute other things. It works for some but not for others. Everyone is different.

Best wishes.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Zyni's right: It's your decision. If it were me, though, I'd quit. I'd worry that I was walking a very fine line and would want to err on the side of caution. Better safe than sorry, you know?
    Zyni likes this.
  4. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I have to agree with everyone else. It's your choice... a decision you must make for yourself. Personally, I don't think it's any harm if you know how to use it reasonably and won't go back down the same road you've traveled. If you don't think you'll relapse (you know yourself better than anyone) then do you... so whatever you think is good for you. Obviously, health wise it's probably not the best choice but we all do things that compromise or health.
  5. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I have read studies where smoking any form will make you three times as likely to relapse. I think you should just slowly try to quit. Decrease your smoking a little each day and just put that extra money in an envelope. When you finally quit then buy yourself something nice with that extra money.
    Mara likes this.
  6. Noreht

I love this idea. I don't spend more than a dollar a day on the smoking but a dollar a day does add up.

My biggest issue is that I am afraid if I stop that I might want to substitute the oka for something stronger. At the moment it is still a toss up between stopping completely and fighting the good fight or continue smoking while limiting my smoking as much as possible.
  7. Novelangel

Novelangel Active Contributor

Have you tried vaping? I understand that vapor smoking devices can give you just about any flavor, without all of the harmful and addictive side-effects. I don't yet know everything there is to know about the topic, but from what I do understand, vapor cigarettes, the type of device that is the most well-known, do help people quit smoking, by giving them all of the smoking flavor and satisfaction, without all the harmful effects on their health.
  8. Noreht

I have looked into it but it seems more of a fashion accessory than anything else. I am into oka as it helps me relax. I have mine placed next to me in the living room and when I switch of for an hour or so in the evenings I enjoy smoking my oka and watching TV so it is not a constant "I have to smoke" feeling, I just do it when I relax, but thank you for the suggestion.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

It's your decision, quitting cold turkey is definitely not for everyone and if you think that you are in control of smoking oka, then I don't really see a problem about it. But you should keep in mind that tobacco is still addictive, maybe doing research about oka may help you, I guess.
  10. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Three times, really? I didn't know that. That's a pretty big wake up call.

I like that idea. Save the money and use it to reward yourself. It gives you a goal and something to look forward to.
  11. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Hmmm... It's a tough question to answer. Have you tried quitting weed cold turkey? If so, how difficult was it for you? How long were you able to go without weed or without oka? If you were able to go for a few weeks or months, then it means that you can go without the oka as well. I think quitting cold turkey is the best choice because we know just how difficult it is to control our cigarette or weed use.

But if you have tried quitting cold turkey and failed just after a few days, then try gradually lowering your consumption of oka. You have to gradually quit, meaning it has to be two coals per night right now. And then next month, it has to be just one. Until you no longer need the oka, which hopefully can happen.

I don't know if oka can make you relapse although you said that it helps fight off the cravings for weed, which is good. Just make sure to stop smoking oka once you reach a few months as well.

Take care and good luck!
  12. Noreht

Thank you for you replies. @Coolkidhere I gradually weened myself of weed within two weeks. The oks was the same. After months I now have smoked oka again, but I am steering way way clear of weed. I want to stop oka completely, but like I said that might then be the thing that pushes my over the edge again.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

If you don't let your oka smoking disrupt your daily human functions or your overall purpose for living, then it's not exactly as harmful as you think it is. You just have to smoke it in moderation while getting your priorities straight at the same time.
  14. Mara

Mara Community Champion

You were able to wean yourself off of weed, perhaps you can do so again with oka. Just take it slow, take baby steps. I wouldn't suggest going cold turkey because when I did that, I had the worst withdrawal symptoms. And whenever you have cravings, just make yourself busy to take your mind off it. Take a hobby. Exercise. Do something that you love. Anything will do as long as it will keep the cravings at bay.

Good luck! :)
  15. Noreht

Thank you @Mara I don't usually get withdrawal from the oka as their are no drugs in it. I generally smoke the sugar reed shisha with coconut coals so their also is no nicotine or tobacco involved. The addiction to the oka is more a force of habit and because I always smoke it when relaxing rather than to get high, as I can't get high from shisha. I have started smoking it less frequently, but it is one of those habits that I don't know if I would ever be able to get rid of.
    Mara likes this.