An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Will police ever have a way to quickly detect drivers high on MJ?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 25, 2016.

1. mscooke

mscooke Member

Well I live here in Los Angeles & it doesn't have to just be a checkpoint. As of January 1, 2015 ALL police cars are equipped with kits to test if they deem necessary. Hardly any cops in LA, really?!! What part are you located?
  2. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Interesting. So, do you have specific laws there for driving under the influence of specific drugs, or is it all wrapped up under "impairment." The latter seems to make more sense.

I don't think people should drive under the influence of certain prescription drugs either, but I'm not sure the laws cover that. I've seen people drive when they are really out of it or half asleep due to prescription pills. Not good.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

No, there are no laws for specific drugs. Whatever you're intoxicated with it's considered "driving under the influence" which is an arrestable offense. You're getting locked up and your car towed away to the impound and it'll cost you over £100 to get it back once you're released. You're also likely to get banned and/or fined if you're lucky enough to avoid a jail sentence which is unlikely. The person I knew was sentenced to three months for driving under the influence of marijuana.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Zyni likes this.
  4. bretthuda33

bretthuda33 Active Contributor

I've read many studies before about cannabis and driving and it always looked like they had safe results. The only time when people were not good was when they had never smoked before. In my experience I was way more at ease while driving high and just enjoying the sights and sounds. Too bad it became a staple for my lifestyle, because it really isn't the worst drug!
  5. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I 100% agree that we should be more worried about drunk driving, but I don't buy the rest of your argument.
    Alcohol is legal yet police are fully allowed to test every driver if they wanted, they just focus on either checkpoints or roadside stops. So just because pot might be legal, does NOT mean people will be allowed to drive on it. So if the dig sniffs out some dope, maybe they will get charged with "open marijuana" like you would if you had an open beer bottles in the car.
    First off high driving is dangerous as any impaired driving is. We should be taking steps to prevent it because the messages is not getting though.
    Second driving is a privilege not a right, so really the state and the police have the authority to check anyone they think isn't driving according to the law. Getting baked and operating a vehicle is against the law in the majority of the world.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I've just found this news article from June 2015. It explains how since new laws were introduced in the UK in March 2015, as many as 50% of drivers who are tested have shown to be under the influence of drugs and that over 400 people are being arrested for the offense every month. Apparently, the information only came to light as the result of a Freedom Of Information Act request:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-50-motorists-stopped-testing-positive.html
    mscooke likes this.