An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Will we look back and wonder?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by irishrose, Nov 5, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

There are vintage cigarette advertisements that claim that smoking is healthy for you. When cigarettes were first being mass-produced many years ago, people were unaware of the dangers of smoking them, and ads even encouraged people to smoke for their health.

Do you think that it is possible that this could happen with marijuana in the future? Will humans look back and wonder, 'how could people think that smoking marijuana was healthy?' Even though marijuana has been around for a long time, researchers are still studying it and finding negative health consequences for marijuana users, despite it's growing popularity. What do you think?
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it will be the complete opposite. I think when they finally legalize this people will wonder why it was looked at as a harmful drug. More research has been done to prove it's not as dangerous as it's been portrayed over the years. I think the everything has dangerous side effects if over used to a certain point.
    missbishi likes this.
  3. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

There is a big witch hunt to smoking tobacco, I don't think that smoking marijuana will be any different. On the other hand the consumption of marijuana will not be looked at as a taboo. There are many ways to consume marijuana without smoking it.
    missbishi likes this.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Absolutely. Everyone on the anti-marijuana bandwagon seems to think that there is only one way of consuming it. Edibles, for example, completely bypass the lungs so have none of the harmful effects of smoking. It's important to distinguish between marijuana smokers and marijuana users.
  5. henry

henry Community Champion

Have any of you heard of overpopulation? The world needs stuff that kills people. Be it plagues, illnesses, drugs, you name it.
  6. p4lse

p4lse Member

Yes, there's actually a very high probability that something like this would happen in the near future. I mean, this was exactly how it was like back in the days when cigarette was being launched. Who knows, history could repeat itself.
  7. juno

juno Community Champion

I think the circumstances with marijuana are different. The cigarette adds were not research based. The current info on marijuana is. And usually we are given both the pros and cons of it. It won't ever be called completely bad like nicotine, because it is used for medical purposes through prescriptions.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think marijuana is more beneficial to people compared to tobacco. I have never heard about the health benefits of smoking tobacco before, but based on research, marijuana can be able to treat some illnesses.
  9. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I think that marijuana is going to be recognized in a positive light, rather than a negative light. It's not even in the same realm of cigarettes. We are well aware that smoking marijuana isn't the healthiest choice, but there are other means of ingesting the THC. @juno makes a wonderful point. Marijuana facts are facts, whereas the ads being posted about cigarettes are trying to lure you into buying.
  10. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

Let's remember that tobacco now is cut with chemicals and is not even in it's natural form. I can remember being younger and driving through Kentucky to go to family events, and seeing tobacco fields on every side of every road. Now, you will be lucky to even see a couple when you drive there. The government got their hand in the tobacco production and who knows what goes on with it now. Marijuana is a plant pure and natural. You can smoke it, cook with it, and make an oil with it. The properties of the oil have amazing benefits for illness. I am pretty sure there are no amazing benefits of that cigarette you are smoking. And I dare you to unroll it and put it in your brownie mix! These are two totally different substances. Tobacco is manipulated and full of toxins just so you can smoke it rolled up. Marijuana is all natural. Let's just say it is the organic form.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I wonder if Marijuana becomes legalized if you are going to see fields of it growing like you used to with tobbacco. It just seems like it is something largely beneficial. However, inhaling it deeply into your lungs, can cause lung damage so doing that may be frowned upon. Children and teens should not be using it either.
  12. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This something that is so often over looked. Medicinal marijuana shouldn't be smoked, the health gains that you might gain from it are quickly canceled with the side effects from smoking it.
  13. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I think it is like everything else that they deem good for and then turn around and say it is bad for you. Can we really trust people that tell us such contradicting messages. I am not saying that smoking tobacco is good for you but that we get so mixed up between good and bad based on what other people tell us. Marijuana will be the same. They say it is bad now because it is illegal in places still and those that do not want it legalized make these statements. I think that regardless of whether it is good or bad depending on the way in which it is consumed, people will still use it for the benefits and the way it makes them feel.