An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Will you buy Marijuana for your sick child?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Juanpeace, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Juanpeace

Juanpeace Active Contributor

There is a growing debate that medical Marijuana be legalized as a legitimate remedy to certain diseases. Many countries around the world fear that if medical marijuana were to gain acceptance this will lead an opening for advocates of recreational weed to knock on the halls of legislation and seek legitimacy. The study of marijuana as a medicine is still in early infancy and yet desperate parents want to embrace this to save a dying child from terminal illness.
    If you are a parent will you buy illegal medicine to save your child? will you risk prosecution for the survival of a loved one?
    In our country, there is a move by some citizens asking congress to pass a law to legalize medical marijuana. The rich parents can afford to seek Cannabis medicine abroad. The poor who cannot travel abroad remain helpless.
  2. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

If my children ever get sick, not only I will risk anything to get them well again, but I would gladly do it, no matter of the costs or the risks involved. It's the right thing to do, honestly. As long as a substance has a therapeutical use and it's used accordingly, then there is nothing wrong (not even from a moral point of view) about it as long as it is not overused.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It depends. Since doctors can prescribe Marijuana should they do it then I wouldn't hesitate to buy the drug. However if it's something someone who isn't a doctor recommends then I wouldn't buy marijuana for the sick child because I know how bad marijuana can be to anyone who uses it.
  4. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

It really depends on what kind of sickness they have. I wouldn't hesitate using marijuana for my child with a terminal illness. I would be willing to try just about anything that wasn't going to harm them any further. There have been some cases where the results were pretty intense.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I'm pretty sure that you would also have to known what you are doing with it. Medical marijuana is grown with higher levels of CBD, whereas most of the marijuana available illegally has been grown with higher THC levels so buying it off the streets is going to be counterproductive. You could grow it yourself but even then, you need to know what you're doing and how it needs to be applied to be effective medicinally.
    MrsJones likes this.
  6. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Most definitely. Not only would I get hold of some I would cultivate it myself. Marijuana has been used for medical purposes for thousands of years. It really comes down to how it's administered, I for example would never let my child smoke it. There are far better ways to consume it.
  7. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I'd buy it sell it and grow it to save my child's life. The hell with all the red tape of this government waiting for them to do this that, and the other. Honestly this country is so screwed up. Breaks my heart to see how sad well have become
  8. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

No I don't think so.
    If the doc prescribes it, then that's fine.
    But if they don't, I don't assume to know better then a medical professional.
    Everyone seems to think pot is some kind of wonder drug.
    That is not the case, it has very limited legitimate applications.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

Marijuana is not the only medicine that can cure our illnesses. Many people who use medical marijuana have admitted that they have smoked it, that is why they have pushed for its legalisation. There are a lot of herbs that are legal but many people don't bother to try them out. Who knows the long term effects of taking medical marijuana or you just want to test it on your kid? I will never try that.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

If it is proven effective and safe, and there is no other cure than marijuana, I will take the risk. But if there are other cure that are legal and have been used already, will try those than risking with marijuana. I think that there are no solid proofs yet that marijuana is totally safe and can give long term relief or cure.
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

This is my way of thinking. I feel exactly the same way.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

If the illegal medicine is the only way to save my child then I would do it. Of course it would also have to be supervised by a doctor so that it would be safe to give to the child.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

This is too vague, honestly. The only time I'd buy marijuana for someone is when there's no other medicine in the world save marijuana that can cure her/him. I mean, surely marijuana isn't the only medicine out there, right? Unless it's proven to be the sole cure to a particular disease, I would rather exhaust other options than to run the risk of making my child addicted to it.
  14. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I would have to try all other possible routes first and when I realize that they have failed I would choose this method. But only if there is proof that it works because I won't allow my child to become an experiment.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

If it's already a matter of life, and death, then definitely yes. We're already talking about the life of my child, and as a mother, I would do anything just to make sure my child would be saved, no doubt about that. I think most parents in the world would the same thing.
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The fact that it can be used to cure certain illnesses, shows that it shouldn't be a problem to use it for medicine. If this was a cure for a child's sickness and didn't have any harmful side effects then of course. I'm not saying I would roll a blunt and let a child smoke it, but if a doctor prescribed it in the form of medicine then why not use it? Medical marijuana is legal in most US states and in edible form. I think the edible form of cannabis would be more suitable if subscribed to cure a child's illness.
  17. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

My child had a medical condition called Staring Absence (petit mal). It is a form of epilepsy. My child was under medication for 3 years for this condition. Her medication helped to minimize the symptoms of her condition but not cure it. I researched extensively about natural ways to help my child. I found Omega 3, proteins and certain types of massages to be helpful. The most predominant cure that I found for this type of epilepsy though, was Marijuana. But not just regular marijuana, but processed medicinal marijuana oil. Thankfully my child overcame her condition before I went deeper into this form of medication, but if this would of been a proven method of medication that could of aided my child, I would of moved hell and high water to get it. Parents will do whatever it takes for the health of their children.
  18. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, if it helped my child to overcome sickness, I'd buy him crack if it was necessary. That's really what drugs are for, healing people, not to smoke it and listen to Pink Floyd. The thing is that people found it made them felt so good, they just had to use it to have a good time.
  19. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

If it is the only option available then i'll never think twice. Though it is addictive and may have negative effects if used over a long period of time, i still admit that it works wonders in some situations.
  20. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

Doctors from my state brought up an idea of using Marijuana in hospitals for treatment but the matter was discussed in the Kenyan parliament and turned down. Since then, there have been reported cases of complications in most hospitals where if Marijuana was used, it would have helped a lot. Now the government can't bring up the agenda once again for discussion.