An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Willpower

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Rosyrain, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

They say that it is harder to quit smoking cigarettes than it can be to kick a heroin addiction. It takes an immense amount of willpower not to light up again once you have quit smoking. Have you been able to successfully kick the smoking habit for good?
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I did, but I had a lot of motivation so that was an important factor in my fight with this addiction. It took me a long time until I actually started to not crave cigarettes anymore, and when I actually accomplished that I felt relieved. I wasn't able to go cold turkey, so I had to reduce how much I was smoking gradually.
  3. Rosyrain

Gradually cutting down is much easier than trying to quit cold turkey. You can smoke less over time and so you do not depend on having a cigarette at specific intervals during the day. When I first quit, I would cut my smoking off at 3pm and not have anymore after that. That depended on me physically not having any cigarettes around me so I would leave them at work. After a week or so, I stopped even thinking about having cigarettes into the night. After you get used to that, you can gradually cut back more.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I did, but not with a few slip ups along the way. Sometimes even to this day when I get stressed out or really upset, something in me says "oh, a cigarette would be nice right about now".

It was hard, because I think for a long time there I used cigarettes to cope with any rough emotion. If I was sad, stressed, angry, frustrated, the thing I would go to was cigarettes.

For me a big part of kicking it that wasn't related to wanting to quit for my own health, was learning new strategies to cope with those emotions. Yes, my inner voice may still sometimes think a cigarette would be nice, but it's up to rational me to say "mate - I don't need that!"
  5. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Yes, I have quit smoking for good for almost 6 years now. At first I never really thought I could ever quit because I needed it during times when my emotions were high especially when I was feeling sad or stressed just like what @kassie1234 has said. I found comfort in every puff I made as though all my burdens were being released along with each smoke I puff out. I'm thankful I finally found my reason and inspiration to quit - my son. When I found out that I was pregnant, I really pushed myself to quit right there and then. As hard as it was, I managed to stay smoke-free until now because of my greatest inspiration.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  6. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I have been a recovering nicotine addict since mid January, 2003. It has been a rough road. I still get cravings occasionally, like when I am stressed about something. When I get these cravings I think about the healthy lifestyle I am leading by not smoking. This does not always help. I have picked up some poor eating habits by becoming a recovering nicotine addict. I need to start replacing these with healthy eating habits and then I will be healthy and not just sort of healthy by not smoking.
  7. Rosyrain

I have been talking about my OH on here a lot lately and it is because I can see some of what you all talk about on here with him. There are days when I have to be very firm with him in expressing the way I feel because it is the only way to get through to him sometimes. I feel sorry for him inside, but when he sees this, he feeds on it as a way to take advantage of the situation. You have to be very strong with willpower.
  8. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Willpower is important to anyone trying to brake any bad habit. It takes a strong person to quit smoking. Thats why so many still smoke
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Kids do wonders for wanting to remain clean don't they?! I have a daughter and she truly makes me want to be the best version of me that I possibly can. I see her watching and learning from the littlest things I do - and the last thing I want is for her to learn any bad habits from me! It's a huge motivator.
    gracer likes this.
  10. gracer

gracer Community Champion

You're right @kassie1234! :) The innocence in them and their daily hunger for learning and discovery makes parents like us want to become the best parents we could ever be to them. My son's youthful energy gives me the glow I need everyday. At times when I'm so busy and feeling so stressed out, just merely looking at him trying to make his way into this world and eager to learn a lot of things inspire me to do better and keep at it. My child is the most wonderful gift ever given to me. We are both lucky to have been given the chance to become parents of such wonderful children.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  11. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

No, it's too hard. I could manage to limit the amount of cigarettes I smoke, but never fully quit. I'm always having those cigarette cravings and I can't battle them.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I know of a very few people that was successful to turn cold turkey over night. Yes, they say the addiction is the hardest thing to kick. Even more powerful then most narcotics. I don't know how they do it, because I don't smoke or do drugs.