An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Wine and Cutting

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by jamesf1184, Jun 9, 2015.

1. jamesf1184

jamesf1184 Member

A close friend of mine has tried harming herself in very terrible ways many times. Each time involving alcohol, specifically wine. This might sound ridiculous, but how do wines and alcohols affect the brain in such a way that self harm becomes more common? At least in her?
    What could be causing this, depression? The alcohol itself?
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

A depressed person can turn to anything just to ease the depression that he is experiencing - thinking that turning to a particular thing was the solution. Alcohol is the most common escape of depressed people because it is a known fact that you can forget your problems when you get drunk. With wine, it is milder but excessive wine drinking can also make you drunk.. and forgetful as well.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

No, it's not the alcohol that makes someone desire to harm herself.

Anyone who mutilate himself/herself up or even attempts to commit suicide using other ways when they are drunk most likely has thought of doing that before but when they are sober they can't do it. They are afraid. They've got good reasons for being afraid. When they are drunk however alcohol clouds their judgment and they . . . mutilate themselves, jump off buildings, etc. Sure there's a correlation but alcohol isn't the culprit.

Your friend needs some serious therapy, @jamesf1184
  4. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I agree that it is not the alcohol that is causing the problem, although it can make the problem a lot worse. I agree that your friend dos need therapy for this issue and this should be asap. She might do something more severe when under the influence if she does not get help soon.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It seems as though your friend is depressed anyway and alcohol is just making these feelings worse. Given that it is a known depressant, it's hardly surprising. She really does need to get some professional help as it's quite possible that she could do herself a real injury one of these days if she carries on like this.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It is not only alcohol that would cause her to have depression. It could trigger her to do self-harm but it is not the reason why she wants to hurt herself. Probably it is something deeper. I think you should have private talk with her and try to help her in a way.
  7. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Going to echo the others and say it’s probably depression, and the alcohol is exacerbating it. The lowered inhibitions make her more likely to harm herself than when she’s sober. Will also echo everyone who says she needs professional help, and soon. There’s a chance this could escalate otherwise.
  8. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

It may be a case of depression for your friend. Usually when one is tormented in one's mind, one who seeks to vent and there are many ways in which one vents, sometimes in a self-destructive way. I think it would be worth while speaking to your friend to find out the root of this behavior. Drinking alcohol and wine is what causes your friend to somewhat be subconscious about what he or she is doing. Taking the alcohol from your friend is probably the best way to get your friend in a state where they can confide in you. Don't wait until they're drunk to intervene.
  9. seatones

seatones Member

I think alcohol for at lot of people amplifies feelings they were already experiencing, and they don't have the same kind of self control as when sober. A depressed person might feel even more depressed while drunk, without having the sense to not hurt themselves. That's why I see it as such a deadly combo for depressed people, because they lose that barrier of self preservation. Depression and substances almost never mix from what I've seen; almost anything besides tobacco will amplify the depressed feelings in scary ways.