An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Wish I Had Never Started Smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by ChloeDawn, Feb 15, 2016.

1. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

I grew up during a time when smoking was popular and no one knew how dangerous it could be. My father smoked at least 2 packs a day when I was a child, so I thought it was perfectly normal for me to smoke. I had friends at school who did it, so why couldn't I? I started at 13, yes 13 years old! Now, I totally regret it. I was able to stop when I was pregnant both times, but started back shortly after my children were born.

I am now almost 43 and have probably smoked off and on around 28 years. I have occasional coughing and wheezing so I am almost sure that I now have asthma. I was told a couple of years ago that if I did not stop I would be on oxygen in 5-7 years. However, I am having weight loss surgery in a couple of months. I have no other choice but to quit or else my surgeon will not do the surgery. What is the best way to quit that any of you all have had success with?
  2. bretthuda33

bretthuda33 Active Contributor

I started chewing tobacco at a young age also and I still do it to this day. I haven't even been off and on doing it, just consistently. I am also at that stage where I feel I need to quit because it is affecting my health. From what I have read the best way is to completely quit or else you are sure to go back too it. My friend has smoked on and off like you but every time he was able to quit for temporarily it was because he really got into writing his own music. You have to start feeling really good about your self and see who you are as not just an ego encased in a bag of skin, but something that is interconnected with the process of nature itself.
    ChloeDawn likes this.
  3. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The best way to stop smoking is to never start. This being said, if you do smoke and want to stop smoking. It should be the most important part of your day. Try to get enjoyment out of it, very often you just have to change the way you look at things to make things better.
    ChloeDawn likes this.
  4. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I never got addicted to smoking. When I was young,I had this desire to smoke, but thankfully I never got addicted to smoking. However, I have nicotine addiction. I use chewing tobacco instead of inhaling tobacco smoke. Chewing is as harmful as smoking. I am looking for the ways to give up my addiction.
    ChloeDawn likes this.
  5. Joethefirst

Your body doesn't necessarily want the smoke but the nicotine, it doesn't matter how you take it in to your body it's always bad for you.
    ChloeDawn likes this.
  6. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

7. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

Quitting smoking is an extremely challenging task which will require a lot of discipline and resolve to be able to achieve it.
    You could try this method: gradually decreasing the number of cigarettes you smoke day by, sometimes, substituting gum or mint for the one the one that you have foregone.
    You have to be patient in this process because may there may be instances where you get back to the usual smoking schedule, however, keep on fighting to achieve your goal. You should also try to not be around other smokers as best as you can because you could be easily tempted to disrupt your plan to quit.
    ChloeDawn likes this.
  8. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Gosh yes tell me about it. I smoked for many years in my lifetime....and can't help to wonder why I started in the first place. It was cool no doubt about it. But the after effects are terrible...and then trying to quit can seem to be impossible. However, I am here to tell you it is not...and there is a bunch of hope. You can start slowly and soon you won't even think about a cig. I can tell you envision what the habit will do to your body...your looks...your health. I thought about all the things I wanted to accomplish in the world and all the things I have not seen and done. I also would pay attention to how I smelled and how I was starting to get that smoker's look. And there is a look......you gotta just believe that you can. Your life is worth more than a cigarette. I know you can do it...I did it. I am living proof that you can be addicted and stop the habit...and never look back.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

There's a lot of things I wish I'd never done. Smoking is one of the biggest out of all of them and believe me, I've done it all! I've quite marijuana, I've quit speed and I've even quit cocaine and crack. But tobacco/nicotine is a different story to all of them. I do think that nicotine is one of the hardest addictions to overcome.
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I wish I had never started re smoking. I quit for 13 years! It was living with a smoker that started me back..I am not smoking a lot currently though, not even every day, so I think there is hope for me! I am gradually cutting down the amount I am smoking and I don]'t inhale. Sometimes I am not even remembering that I have some tobacco available, so I can tell it is becoming less important to me.
  11. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I agree it is so easy to get back into that habit. Some stress factors in life can make anybody want to revert back to that behavior, but it should all be taken one day at a time. Cutting back is a good way to start and can be very big steps in the road to quitting. Just have to stay consistent.
  12. remnant

remnant Community Champion

The battle against addiction is not an easy one. But take heart since you have taken the most important step towards healing. This is to acknowledge that you have a problem. I also smoked cigarettes for a year. I won the battle through the mechanism of compensation. Every time I felt a craving, I would take tea over a newspaper or website that engages me. The craving would ebb quite fast.
  13. 6up

6up Community Champion

You must consider quitting since you've known about the dangers associated with smoking. You can start by reducing the number of cigarettes that you smoke daily. You should avoid those friends who will offer to buy cigarettes for you. Avoid stress, if that causes you to crave for cigarettes.
  14. Joethefirst

Very good you most certainly are nearly there. Just a small push and you will be free of this prison.
  15. Hozyboy

Hozyboy Active Contributor

I can say the best way to quit smoking is not to try and isolate yourself but look for friends and tell them that you have a problem. They will help you and take away a cigarette if you have one. Have someone you can talk to if you feel down because one tends to drain their problems with a cigarette. Anyway try and also substitute the cigarette with something. My father is used tea and milk.

This is to help make up the time you could have spent smoking with something you can do at that time as a distraction. Also think about your motivation to quit. Once you get it then backtracking will be hard.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Consult a doctor, there are medications that are designed to help you stop smoking, there also are nicotine gums and patches. Those methods are useful if you are unable to do it cold turkey, sadly you will really need to use your will power in order to stay free from smoking.