New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Wish recovery was as easy as slipping back in

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by iga, Nov 27, 2015.

1. iga

iga Member

What I hated most about detox and withdrawals (besides the cold sweats and the itching) was the constant nervous boredom that made it impossible to take my mind off how badly I wanted another dose. How I wished I could just tune out and coast through those 100-hour long days, but my only way to coast would undo all my progress. I am glad I don't feel like I have to shower 5 times a day any more now that it's over though (hopefully for some time).
    Steve Dawson likes this.
  2. RabbitFoot

RabbitFoot Member

@iga What do you do to take your mind off it all? Do you have any hobbies to keep you actively busy, or any activities that challenge you mentally? Though it may not be the same thing, I usually play chess to occupy my mind or garden. Gardening is relaxing and rather rewarding! I cannot wait to visit my garden every morning to see the small, bright green shoots that may have come up during the night.
  3. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

Really well put Iga, you bring it all back to me. When I was giving up drinking I seemed to lose control of my internal temperature control for a whole summer, I was constantly showering and still felt sweaty all the time. Its vital to always try to keep your mind occupied when you're trying to change your lifestyle, until your new lifestyle finally feels like normal life again. I became a bit of an exercise fanatic to help me through those times and would spend long endlessly sleepless nights reading pulp fiction from the local library. It took a long time and a lot of determination but I finally got through it.
  4. ChaseHayden

ChaseHayden Member

When it comes down to any withdrawal at all, it ends up falling atop your mental will. All withdrawals have their multi-faceted effects on our body, the cold sweats, the cravings, the fatigue, the blotted mood swings. I can tell you, picking up an instrument during these times for me, was exactly what brought me through to the ever so satisfying end of an addiction, mine in particular was alcohol. You feel stuffy and priggish through the stages of recovery, for this, I began exercising, hiking mostly, this relieved the brain fog for me.
  5. philthegoat

philthegoat Active Contributor

Detoxifying yourself can be very, very hard. Though, in the end, it will be worth the struggles. You may not know it now, but you'll never regret the detox. You just have to fight through the long days and terrible physical feeling.
  6. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

It is really easy to get in to addiction. You start with curiosity, later begin to use it more because you enjoy being on high. But then one day you reach a position that becomes a really big problem. However, just by deciding that you want to quit, will not help you. You need to try hard. You may fail, but you must never give up.
  7. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I transferred my addiction to other activities. I immersed myself in deep religious studies and actually became an authority in that area. During my detox, the major fluid I took was water and tea in copious quantities. I also ate alot of mangoes to replenish vitamins gobbled up by my addiction to beer. I also kept the areas I frequented to drink at arms length.
  8. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

It is definitely the hardest part of being an addict. You just need to stay determined and keep your mind focused on the fact that the withdrawal symptoms will eventually disappear and you will be living a much better, healthier and safer life. Remember how much your family and friends will benefit and all the things you could do, the time you will have and the money you'll have to spend. Keeping yourself focused on the objectives of your endeavors is the best way to get through the struggle that is the process.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Then a job well done to you @iga! You did great so just move forward and leave all the regrets and "what-ifs" behind you. There's no point going back to a dark place. Recovery is not easy but it'll get better. Nothing in life is every easy, anyhow.
  10. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

Nice job! Don't worry, over time it gets easier as you should have seen. The beginning is always hard but with time you can overcome your obstacles.