An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Withdrawal Symptoms for Purely Psychological Addictions

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Sevrin, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Sevrin

Sevrin Member

I'm curious about what withdrawal symptoms for compulsive addictions like social networking addictions or texting addictions are like. Is it something similar to depression, or OCD-like symptoms? Anyone with experience or knowledge please share.
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think the biggest culprit for these types of addictions are mainly boredom. Many people may develop these sorts of addictions in the first place form turning to social networks or the internet when they are bored. Of course, attention can also be a big part of it too. I don't think withdrawal from this sort of addiction would lead to clinical depression but it would be frustrating, irritating and aggravating. The most difficult part would be trying to keep your mind off and keeping yourself occupied in other ways.
    light likes this.
  3. light

light Active Contributor

I used to be a social networking addict, mainly addicted to facebook. The first thing I would do after waking up was to check my fb account if somebody had commented in my status or how many likes had my profile picture reached . My greatest pleasure would be those long hours chatting, liking and discussing my friends feelings. In real life I am a very shy person but in facebook I could express my feelings .This made me feel important , appreciated and grow my self-esteem. On the other hand my family was suffering my luck of presence and I had lost sense of real life: nature, sports, time with family and adventure.

When I was forced by my family to give up fb, my life turned upside-down( even though now it makes me smile of myself). I felt like being in a prison, lack of freedom and a disgusting boredom. My mind would suffer and calm down only to find ways to escape my punishment and get back to my fb’s heaven. I was frustrated, shouting to my sister like nobody could understand me. I found relief only when I grabbed a piece of paper and after drawing in it the fb logo and some other visual elements of fb home page. In that paper I wrote a “status” of how bad I felt and how stupid life seemed without fb. Those were tough days but I started to run every morning, to express myself more in my family discussions and my greatest achievement so far has been meditating alone in a forest near my home. Now my life is beautiful again and I am free!
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I don't think there is much withdrawal symptoms from that unless you are in need of being the center of attention. This is an addiction that social media feeds. Social media to me can be addictive and I think that people find it to be something that they NEED more often than not. Praise, interaction, showing off or whatever. Accomplishment in numbers. How many friends, how many likes, or whatever. Creating a fake scenario for other people to worship.
    If it is used lightly and in a good way that is real. I think it can be a good outlet if it is used in a good way.
  5. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Usually with this type of addiction you tend to gravitate towards something else to feed your attention very quickly. Social media for example is attention-burning and teaches you the habit of having some kind of a new piece of stimulation every few seconds, which triggers dopamine chemicals in your brain. The key is to occupy yourself in different and productive ways.