An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Withdrawal symptoms

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Parassd, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

Many people undergo many withdrawal symptoms after trying to quit smoking. The most common effect is constipation. Many people can not go to take a crap for days after quitting, that's one of the main reasons they relapse. What else reasons are there for relapse, and what do you think could be effective measures to battle relapse?
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Really, I never heard of that one before? The most common withdrawal symptom I am aware of is irritability and anxiety. I don't think I have ever had a problem with things coming out like they are supposed to before.
  3. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Oh wow I have to agree with Rosyrain, it's the first time I hear of constipation being a withdrawal symptoms of smoking! I will look that up... I know of the usual ones such as depression and shaking hands as well as like Rosyrain has already mentioned irritability and anxiety.
  4. Rosyrain

Perhaps over eating might be the real cause of the constipation, depending on what you eat. A lot of people eat more food when they quit smoking. I don't think the lack of smoking itself would cause you to not be able to do your duty.
  5. mildredbonk89

mildredbonk89 Member

I've often had trouble with constipation when trying to quit smoking. Coffee and cigarettes were always the first two things I would consume when I started my day. And I would always have a bowel movement directly after my first cup and smoke. However, coffee is usually enough, even when first trying to quit. Also, I used nicotine patches when I quit, and those helped me stay regular. I recommend patches over anything else--even cold turkey. If you follow the step by step program, it really works. At least it did for me.

Lastly, I recommend eating carrots and lentils. Especially when first trying to quit. They'll make you poop no matter what.
  6. Rosyrain

Thanks for the tips on pooping when you can't. I drink a lot of coffee and eat a lot of veggies so maybe that is my reason for not having a hard time going.
  7. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Coffee is a diuretic in some people so I would suspect it could somehow be the culprit behind constipation - for example if it's dehydrating you too much that it's triggering constipation. Coffee goes through me like a freight train for some reason, but other drinks like plain old water or juice don't do that to me.

I've never heard of constipation in relation to quitting smoking, but again, if you are pigging out on stuff like pizza, and eating a lot of cheese while you are trying to stem your cigarette cravings, that could be causing the constipation, not the smokes.
  8. Rosyrain

I thought the same thing Tom. If you are going to I n crease your eating then eat something that is going to be good for your body, like fruit or nuts. If you are having problems with your bowels don't go back to smoking, but increase the amount of fiber in your diet.
  9. Mahpokemons

Mahpokemons Member

what?! I've never heard of quitting causing constipation,but I mean I guess it could happen haha. Personally for me it was being extremely irritable, I couldn't sleep very well at night, I got extremely hungry and couldn't stop snacking but I think that mentally may have been to fill the void of not smoking and I was also very light headed for a couple of days.
  10. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

I heard that quitting causes constipation too, but I tried twice for about a month, but that was one issue I did not face (if I had, I would not have made it to a month at all). Good to hear some advice on how to avoid constipation. It will help me when I next decide to quit.
  11. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

If a smoker's worst withdrawal symptom is a couple of days of constipation (which can be fixed by over-the-counter meds), they should consider themselves lucky. Personally, the psychological, cocaine-like, withdrawal symptoms are so intense I haven't the time to think about the physical withdrawal symptoms. For me, it's the nasty feelings one gets from a dopamine deficit that keeps me from remaining nicotine free, irritability, cravings, depression, etc.