An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Withdrawals from weed or cigarettes?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by reubhole, Feb 25, 2015.

1. reubhole

reubhole Member

I recently stopped smoking marijuana. I've always smoked it with tobacco, mixed in with the weed in a joint. Now that I've stopped I'm getting cravings, I'm not sure if it's from the weed or from the tobacco. I know cigarettes are more addictive than marijuana, but I always assumed I smoked so little tobacco I would never be addicted to it. Maybe my body is just used to this ritual every day (I would always smoke after work) and stopping it suddenly caused a bit of a shock. I'm determined not to start smoking cigarettes now that I've given up weed.
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

That's interesting. I'd wager that the cravings are a result of your quitting both substances. It's your body's response to not having the marijuana and nicotine in your system. I guess you could place more of the blame on the cigarettes, but it's impossible to tell. I'm glad that you've been able to stop and don't plan on picking up the habit any longer!
  3. reubhole

reubhole Member

Thanks, It also comes with being around people that are smoking. I make sure to limit the amount of situations I'm in where I'm exposed to others smoking either substance.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Nicotine is highly addictive so it's likely that you are experiencing nicotine withdrawal symptoms. Just hang in there, they will soon pass. I agree that being around others who are smoking can make things really difficult so it's best to steer clear, or ask your friends not to smoke around you while you get this out of your system. Seems like you're doing great so far though!
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Can I ask you a question? Can you describe the cravings you're referring to & what you feel are your withdrawal symptoms? That would help define which of the two (or a combination of both) are causing the issues at hand. I've found that people are more addicted to weed in a less bodily dependent way than nicotine. What I mean by that is the withdrawal comes from the desire to want to be high & not the need.
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I used to do a similar thing. In my case it was obvious that I was addicted to the nicotine, as I could quite easily leave out the marijuana or hashish that I used in my joints. For me marijuana was never an issue, I just smoked it whenever it was given to me. I never went out of my way to buy it. So, yes, it was the tobacco that I really craved.
  7. reubhole

reubhole Member

Well I never smoked only cigarettes, so I don't really know what the cravings feel like. It was always something I looked forward to after work, and now I kind of feel an emptiness when I finish. I definitely miss being high, I think because I had the routine for so long, as soon as I finished work I would light a joint and drink a wine.
    In the past I would even be looking forward to smoking a joint all day, then smoke it and realize I didn't even enjoy it when I was high. Almost like I was addicted to the action and habit of smoking, but not the effect.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Good luck trying to quit when you got people around you still doing it. I have friends that that have done both cigarettes and pot for years. They have told me that cigarettes were the most addictive and even years after quitting, they still have the urge to smoke it because they smell it. It's that powerful. Weed is easier to turn cold turkey too. So I was told.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Here's something to consider: smoking tobacco is more addictive than Heroin. I suspect that it's probably the nicotine you are craving. Unless you're also having withdrawal symptoms like not being able to sleep, feeling tense and not being able to relax properly and/or feeling on edge? If so, then that might be withdrawal symptoms from the Marijuana too. You don't really crave for Marijuana like you do with tobacco though.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm not saying that mirijuana isnt addictive but i think as far as symptoms of withdrawel, i do believe that most people suffer more from the withdrawel frowm tobacco rather than the actual drug itself.
    A lot of people I speak to when asked what symptoms thay are expericencing are normally the same as what smokers of nicotine experience when they are trying to give up smoking regular cigarette's.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  11. Faithfulmarie

Faithfulmarie Member

I have always heard that it's easier to quit marijuana than cigarettes. Congratulations on your quitting both. Do you think it might make a difference if you made some lifestyle changes? I have found the the scent of smoke can stay on walls and clothing for a very long time. Also, friends continuing to smoke, certainly makes it easier for you to have a relapse. A change in environment can't hurt.
  12. pwarbi

That's exactly what I did and I think most people do that stop smoking weed, they replace it with smoking more cigarettes.

Replacing one bad habit with another is never a good idea and you could even say smoking tobacco is worse than smoking the marijuana in the first place.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I do also believe that marijuana is addictive but it's nowhere near as addictive as tobacco. I've known people who managed to quite heroin, crack, meth, alcohol, etc yet those same people had much more difficulty in quitting smoking.
  14. pwarbi

End of the day I think an addiction is an addiction, it probably doesn't matter what the actual substance is that your abusing.

Obviously some are worse than others but it's the actual habit you need to recover from. When you rely on a substance to get you through, no matter what that substance is, then you obviously have a problem.
  15. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Here's my personal experience in stopping with both cigarettes and weed:
    The withdrawal with nicotine sucked so much. I mean, with weed, I just got a little restless and stuff. But with cigarettes, body aches surfaced and that craving for a cigarette was pretty bad. That's just me however and I did smoked cigarettes more often. Stay strong my friend. After work, just do something that would keep the craving away.
    pwarbi likes this.
  16. pwarbi

I think many people can't relate to the cravings you faced when quitting nicotine.

With other substances I think the withdrawal symptoms can vary somewhat but when it comes to cigarettes I think everybody will go through the same stages.
  17. PerkyNorm4u

PerkyNorm4u Member

Withdrawal Symptoms are normal, but going through a rehabilitation program should help you to curtail these symptoms. It is always good to join with one of these group to help overcome the addiction
  18. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Craving is just normal. That’s your body reacting to the sudden change. It’s a good thing you don’t have any other withdrawal symptoms. When I stopped smoking, I got sick. My cough was so bad that I thought I would cough my lungs out.
  19. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

From what I e seen and experienced, the worst withdrawal from weed is boredom and the calming effect. If you are having cravings I bet its the nicotine. You don't have to be a pack a day smoker to get addicted to nicotine.
  20. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

That's currently my issue. Whenever I would want to quit, it's like my mind is telling me, "get some more! I love being high!" And I feel like I have to honor that because it does make me feel way better.