An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Withdrawals from weed or cigarettes?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by reubhole, Feb 25, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

It sounds like a matter of self medicating in relation to what you speak of. When you're using to feel better because of something else. Have you considered supplementing the getting high with something else? Sounds easy & is easy to say but you'll come to points where you say 'this is stupid I could have easily gotten high already'. Doesn't mean it won't work if you continue on & commit until its second nature. When thinking the way I mentioned becomes a waste of time.
  2. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

I do not smoke weed but am a cigarette smoker. I have quit smoking many times and started back. The withdraws were quite uncomfortable and lasted about a month for me. In all reality, it seemed as if the third week was the hardest. I could not sleep at all. Once I started being able to sleep again, I was having very vivid uneasy dreams. I was on edge, very cranky and very depressed. I think that is the reason I am afraid to quit again but I have to do it and I will. I just have to work out a game plan and get a lot of hard candy.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I found when smoking cigarettes that a lot of the time it wasn't so much a physical craving but more so a social thing. It's hard when your social circle is a lot of people that smoke cigarettes because you almost feel like a party pooper if you're not smoking too. I've managed to get quite a few friends to quit now which has been huge in my own quitting story.
    aimeep80 likes this.
  4. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I can honestly say that experiences and sharing will help others see that there is hope. I really hope others see the fact that in love and out of care these experiences are out there to help them see the truth.
  5. Grimp

Grimp Member

Dont start smoking cigarettes, they are disgusting, and I kind of know what you are talking about. If I dont have any ganj to smoke I nearly always end up chonging on a ciggarette. Every time it disgusts me, just dont take up the habbit, it will ruin your energy and make you weak!
  6. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I've gone through quitting both of cigarettes and Marijuana.. As well as a hefty opiate addiction. I have to say that once I got through the hellish nightmare of an opioid detox, and cut out Pot during that whole ordeal that cigarettes were still really difficult. The issue with cigarettes is that there effect is a lot more benign than marijuana and especially opiates, and there in lies the problem. You don't get all the excess baggage you get with the other two and its easier to minimize the continued use. I would suggest quitting one before the other. Each one has it's own form of withdrawal symptoms and it may be asier for you to face each one on it's own. One thing that did help me a great deal when I got to the quitting smoking faze is, I was in the gym a lot and getting back into shape. Trust me when your playing basketball or just working out and can't breath it's a great motivator to change things.
  7. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Don't get me wrong, but I think you should smoke cigarettes if things went too harsh. I think you're in a bad situation, you're craving is a combination of Nicotin craving which is pretty intense and weed craving which is psychological. So if you are to relapse, it's better to relapse on cigarettes rather than weed. just an opinion...
  8. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I think the question you need to ask yourself is which is more dangerous/ unhealthy in the event that you do relapse. I think you'll find that after a few sleepless nights your cravings for marijuana will stop completely, followed by the cigarette cravings which will stop around day 7.
  9. Domen

Domen Active Contributor

If I had to guess I would say that your body got used to your daily smoking. If I'm not mistaken you've stopped smoking completely resulting in your body being confused because it's not used to it. Cravings are probably because of the mixture of both substances. It's difficult but if you chose this route I wish you the best, I hope you'll be able to fulfill your wishes and quit completely. The first two months are the hardest.
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Tobacco and marijuana craving is pretty common among those who want to quit, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a symptom of a potential withdrawal, as those are worse than normal cravings. You get these even for not having eaten pizza, so... yeah. Nothing special.