An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Withdrawl symptoms poping up after 4 years????

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by IrishHeather, Apr 30, 2015.

1. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

Hello all,

Had something kind of strange happen to me the other day, and was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them. I was addicted to prescription pain medicine really bad and have since been sober for nearly 4 years. I twisted my ankle the other day and went to the E.R. for an x-ray. Sure enough I have a hair line fracture in the top of my foot. The doctor offered me a shot of morphine which I declined with pride and asked for Ibuprofen instead. Everything was fine until the car ride home. My mind seemed to get transfixed on that morphine shot and that's all I could think of on my way home. I craved it so bad... when I got home I was over the craving and congratulated myself on suppressing this temptation. But a couple hours later I started having stomach cramps, sweats, anxiety... the gambit of withdrawal symptoms. It was a feeling I recognized very well. It only lasted a few hours, but wow, I didn't think anything like this could happen. Anyone ever have physiological withdrawal symptoms come up later on in your road to recovery?
    amethyst likes this.
  2. Stella

Stella Member

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! I used to abuse pills that I found around the house. (Even if I had no idea what it was.) I quit about 2 years ago. Hooray for two years clean! However, whenever I get sick, I avoid taking medication to make me feel better. Not only because I'll feel bad mentally, but physically too. I remember one time two weeks ago, where I had a really bad headache, my sister insisted that I take ibuprofen and lay down to rest. I didn't happily oblige, but after a while, the pain became unbearable, so I just got up and took 2. Ten minutes later, I started feeling really dizzy, and had terrible nausea. Just like you, it was a feeling I knew all too well. What is weird though is that my bottom stomach (or my livers?) ached for a week after that. I was pretty concerned, and I still am, though I'm back to normal. I can't deal with painkillers anymore. It's too much for me to handle! :c
    IrishHeather likes this.
  3. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

How have you been since the fracture? How do you find relief with pain? I hope you are feeling better now.

I'm only coffee-addict. So, headaches and shaking are a terrible setbacks for abstaining from it. A pain-killer, Panadol, has strong caffeine in it (they say). So, I avoid that, too. I find that lots of water with Vitaminc C sodium ascorbate daily does miracle.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  4. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

Hey, it's not something unheard of. But please, try... really try to remember all the reasons you stopped taking morphine. A single case of remembering it shouldn't put you up to it again. I had such a thing happen to me with a pill called Upsarin. Oh, how much I loved the taste... But the good news is that when you haven't taken it for so long, chances are you won't find it that enjoyable or addictive. At least that's how it happened for me. I tried it, said to myself "meh, it's not THAT good" and that was it. Stay strong!
    IrishHeather likes this.
  5. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your replies... The foot fracture is doing much better now and the Ibuprofen seems to be working just fine for pain relief. I'm glad to know that reoccurring withdrawal symptoms are not entirely unheard of. It just kind of startled me when it happened...wow the human mind is a powerful thing indeed!
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've also heard of this happening a few times before aswell. I don't think it's anything new but it just shows that an addiction, no matter how long you've managed to get over it never really leaves you.
  7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Withdrawal symptoms may occur at any time, or at least I'm realizing about this from my own experience.

I drank badly for years, I hit rock bottom and was near to die from my addiction, but I got clean and recovered.

More than 10 years later, my liver hurts for no reason at all, much in the way it hurt in those days when I was alcohol-intoxicated.

Medically doctors say I'm fine, no explanation at all for this as might not be for withdrawal symptoms happening to someone.
  8. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

@IrishHeather what you were experiencing sounds like PAWS. Post acute withdrawl symptoms. I know several people who get this too!! It is pretty crazy.
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Absolutely! I have had psychological withdrawal symptoms for years. Each year, around the time of Christmas and New Year, I could feel the atmosphere being literally impregnated with booze. And it would affect me in a terrible way. I would get all irritated and angry, despising the stagnation of inebriation (sounds good... but feels bad) around me. And I would suffer from all the symptoms of a hangover. I couldn't explain it to myself. Even though I hadn't been drinking for a number of years I still got strongly affected by alcohol. even to this day I don't like people drinking alcohol in my presence, but I can tolerate it much better.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Yes, this really is a thing! The brain remembers how it used to feel during withdrawal and the aftermath of painkillers triggers this feeling again.

@IrishHeather glad to hear the foot is on the mend!
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Very interesting indeed. I am not surprised at all. There are many different factors to that incident that caused you to feel that urge. One thing that I am inclined to think about drugs and even food is that these companies have really figured out how to hook people. It is mind control. The suggestion from the doctor, just mentioning it triggers your desire. The cells in your body may have traces and your mind connects to those cells. The physical somatic comes into play, and bam you are in it.
    I experience this with food. A candy bar or something like that. I consciously decide it is unhealthy and I don't want it. If I see it or someone suggests I feel the urge and sometimes can't help myself. This is past tense, but I have struggled with it.
    You know it's wrong how a doctor might suggest something like that without really knowing you. I mean certainly they can just say, "would you like something for the pain? is there something you prefer?" Instead of offering the most addictive thing he can think of. It's like a bartender with a customer if they were to say how about a pitcher of shots and a strong island ice tea with that. I'm almost inclined to think a doctor if they were not out for your best interests to say to themselves, "Oh look she has been on pain killers before lets get her addicted I need to make some extra cash." Because really a lot of this stuff actually causes more pain, it can be a side effect in addition to your already existing pain. It will actually prolong recovery.
  12. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

You're definitely not the only one. It will be because you had an offer for the prescription drugs, that you declined, and I believe that your body was trying to fight against the fact that you were so close to the drugs but yet still turned them down. I do hope that you managed to get through that first stage, as it is very important that you keep strong even when your body is telling you not to. Things will get easier, and turning down these drugs was a very important step on your road to recovery.
  13. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

I was reading your text and a thought popped into my head. I remember when i was addicted to pain-pills and didnt have any. I would start getting really sick, but as soon as i knew for sure i was going to get some my withdrawal symptoms kinda started disappearing, Magically. I think thats what they call Psycho-Somatic.
  14. juanperez1990

juanperez1990 Active Contributor

The mind is a powerful thing! You might no longer be physically dependent on a drug, but your mind remembers and the use of some drugs will trigger those memories. Crazy, right? Now take this with a grain of salt since there is not enough science to back it up, but there sure are plenty of reports. You are most definitely not alone in this and the only advice you can get is to simply keep strong and remember why you quit.
  15. pstrong1969

I would definitive say that the part of the brain that works on our pleasure centers/reward centers was affected. Dope/Heroin and Dilaudid used to make me do that. So u are not alone.
  16. pstrong1969

Paws usually only affects people who have only been clean under 2 yrs. I guess it could be possible though. I suspect you were experiencing Psycho-Somatic events.
  17. hoverman

hoverman Active Contributor

Yes I agree with what everyone has said so far, I think it would have been a kind of withdrawal symptom that you experienced. Congratulations on holding off on the morphine though! God knows how much will-power that would have taken, so good on you - very inspiring to the many here people also seeking help and support.

Acute withdrawal might be something that resolves over the years as you get further from the time you used, but I've heard ultimately, the brain remembers and anything can bring those painful symptoms back. At least now, you're armed with the knowledge of how to handle those symptoms!
  18. juno

juno Community Champion

Withdrawal symptoms can last for many years after recovery. However, if you have none for years and they reappeared, then I think it has to with your brain wanting pain killers for the pain from you fracture. That combined with the Ibuprofen, which is a mild pain killer can definitely cause the body to crave more.
  19. pstrong1969

20. pstrong1969

ibruprofen will not cause someone to want to use narcotic pain killers. They are non-narcotic. I've been addicted to pain pains and heroin for 20 yrs. Her brain went thru euphoric recall witch brought on the psycho-somatic symptoms.