An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Withdrawl symptoms poping up after 4 years????

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by IrishHeather, Apr 30, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I can't say I have experienced that, but I am sure the psychological addiction is there long after the physical one has ceased. Even if you consciously try not ot associate pleasant memories your brain remembers in some of the more primitive portions and will likely trigger those memories and associations.
  2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

I've never heard of that occurring before. I could understand it happening after 4 weeks or 4 months but not 4 years. But it doesnt really surprise me. Drugs can have some pretty crazy effects on peoples bodies and minds. Its strong stuff.
  3. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

What I believe she experienced is a psycho- somatic brain reaction to be offered morphine. The same occurrenses has happened to me just thinking about pills, heroin etc.
  4. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Yes, a lot of my withdrawal symptoms came back immediately after 10 years of being cocaine free - once I started doing other forms of speed again, such as bath salts, and occasionally some small amounts of cocaine. I don't know if I would necessarily chalk them up to only drugs or drinking though. Even more mundane things can trigger various emotional responses in me, such as some scents or smells which might remind me of a very stressful or painful time in my life. Or perhaps someone I had cared about a lot but had a bad break up with. These things can make me really anxious and depressed to and cause me to loose focus on everything else.