An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Without Alcohol Would You Have Started Smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JoanMcWench, May 27, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Looking at things with a clear mind & heart now I really don't think I would have developed an issue with tobacco had alcohol not been involved in the process. When I was sober I couldn't stand smoking. I hated the smell & the way it made me feel if I did partake. When I was drinking it seemed to be the best compliment in the world. Then I got to a place where I was drinking enough that I developed at taste for smoking regularly. Drunk or sober.

Anyone share this or were cigarettes inevitable for you either way?
    IrishHeather likes this.
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

Most smokers say that they smoke more when drinking. But that doesn't mean that they learned to smoke because of their drinking. I have a friend who is a drinker but doesn't smoke. So I do not find the connection.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I was a drinker, but never a smoker... I did smoke weed though, but never cigarettes, yuck! When I was 8 I tried them, didn't even like them. But I can imagine how alcohol can influence someone to start with that vice. I mean, when you are drunk you feel like trying a lot new things and you feel so daring and super powerful.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, it kind of did but lightly. Since I used to drink alcohol a lot while I was around my friends I started to also get into the habit of smoking. All my friends smoked and trashed themselves every night they went out so I kind of followed them around (I didn't get wasted a lot, I hated to get blackout drunk).
    I think that as long as I didn't have an alcohol addiction smoking wouldn't have been a part of me in the past.
  5. Tryner

Tryner Member

I've never drank, besides a single beer once in a while. I started smoking long before I tried alcohol, though; it doesn't have anything to do with me starting. I see a lot of people who only smoke when they drink, though.
  6. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

I'm only a social drinker and then only a small amount but I am a slave to Phillip Morris...sigh. I do however see how a correlation between drinking and smoking could make the urge to smoke more defined, especially in social situations. I can't go one minute in a club without see the two go hand in hand. So yes, I would have to say that drinking is a catalyst for some people to get addicted to nicotine.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I started smoking long before I had my first drink. I took it up when I was 13. I grew up with smokers, and when I had my first puff from a cigarette, I instantly took to it like fish to water. Later, when I began drinking, around the age of 16, it became a lethal combination. I would sometimes smoke a whole packet of cigarettes in one evening along with gulping down a bottle of wine. Alcohol made me lose track of how much I was smoking... or drinking, for that matter.
  8. 6up

6up Community Champion

Many people like smoking while they taking alcohol. I used to take alcohol but I never smoked. To some people, it does contribute. But that does not apply to all who take alcohol.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I never liked the taste of alcohol at all, so when I used to smoke, I just did when I felt like it. I didn't have to be stressed or depressed to do it. But I never got addicted to it. In fact, the last time that I smoked was last 2010.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While it's true that a lot of people only smoke when they're drinking alcohol, for me it didn't really have that much of an effect. What I have noticed is that people tend to smoke a lot more when they're having a drink, as opposed to any other time.
  11. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I drank, but I never smoked. So I guess it all depends on the person. I’ve known plenty who smoked but didn’t really drink, or vice versa. Of the ones I knew who did both, I also found that their cigarette intake usually went way up when they were drinking, but even then there were exceptions. Most of the people in my group were more likely to smoke weed than tobacco in the first place, I don’t know why cigarettes weren’t terribly popular with most of the people I knew. Not that I’m complaining! It just seemed like people who were either a few years older or a few years younger were more drawn to cigarettes than a lot of people in my peer group.